It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:14 am
Change font size

Area 12: Calf

Common lower limb injuries

Common lower limb injuries

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:06 am

A lot of common running/training injuries will occur through the knees or ankles. I've found that the majority of these issues stem from weak ankles and poor sensory feedback from the feet which affects the overall gait of the runner.

Quick, simple & relatively painless. This exercise will do wonders for helping with those issues.

Simply balance on one leg for time. Nothing fancy for now just practise balancing on each leg whilst looking ahead with as perfect posture as you can manage.

Take note of how each foot reacts & post up your results.

We have three mechanisms for balance, skin, sight & ears. If one of those is not right then this can greatly affect your balance & overall movement not just in running but also in how you perform a simple back squat.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Common lower limb injuries

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:20 am

One thing I forgot to mention was the need to do the balancing in bare feet. Otherwise you are cutting off one of your sensory feedback loops.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:52 pm

The next addition to standing on each leg independently is to turn your head from left to right whilst still balancing on each leg.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:59 am

sounds like something designed for a Wii fit
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 am

Forgot to add, when doing the head turning keep repeating the days of the week over & over till your allotted time is up. The speaking part adds another thing to the equation which calls upon more sensory feedback.

samurai69 wrote:sounds like something designed for a Wii fit

Quite likely but you know I do like to use the Wii fit type stuff as active recovery or for central nervous system activation.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Area 12: Calf