It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:11 am
Change font size

Training

Training For American Football

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby James W » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:05 pm

hi Twin

Yes your right im at the Thunder, who are you with?

I either do my sprint training before practice, although I do turn up a bit early, or I do it before a training session as with proper recovery I don't fint im too tired.

What sort of program do you follow for speed training?

Ill have a dig around the files on my comp and post mine up

Oh and good luck with the season :cool:

James W
James W
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:04 pm

Twin wrote:Hi OSC,

Just joined today and this thread has helped me loads as i like james have just started pre season training and had questions or worries about how to change my program and the best way to do it for the up-coming season.

Whats your current program like?

Looking forward to the season already good luck James for the up coming season im guessing from your location your from the Thunder.

Also OSC would you have any advice into incorporating speed training into the above programme as this is an area for me that needs attention?

Off top of my head I would suggest speed work be done on your regular AF training days, as if you where to add the extra training to the above routine I think you would over train.. The exercises above will help with your explosiveness (power cleans) so those in themselves will help with your speed from a dead start position..

Depending on your overall volume of training for the week that routine I posted can be modified even more to avoid overtraining, so that you would only do each exercise once per week for the 5x5.

So it would then look like this...........

Workout 1

Power cleans 5x5

Workout 2

Incline benches 5x5

Workout 3

Squats 5x5

And this would be used to MAINTAIN strength, mass etc through the season and not tap into your game energy.

Cheers
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Twin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi James i play for the Arrows in answer to your question about my speed training at the moment that really doesnt exist i have no real ideas of what to do sets reps what equipment etc to use any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

OSC

Before october last year i never went to the gym as such had dumbells in the house but used them infrequently. Was around 18st 6lb and needed to change for myself and to continue to improve at american football.

Made changes to my diet and joined the gym and worked hard and 4 months down the line ive lost 3 stone and gained in strength.

The programme that i follow/ed is detailed below and was a programme i copied straight from my gym partner who has a great physique so thought i would do that, but now realise that it now needs to change for my own needs.

I lift/ed 3 times a week and if possible 4 and trained cardio 1 maybe twice a week.

Monday Shoulders

Seated Military Barbell Press 3 sets 8 reps
Arnold presses 3x8
Latral Raises 3x8
Front raises 3x8
Dumbell shrugs 3x8

Wednesday Back and Biceps

Lat pulldowns 3x8
Deadlifts 3x8
Dumbell Rows 3x8
Seated cable Rows 3x8

Preacher Curls 3x8
Barbell Curl 3x8
Concentration curls 3x8
Hammer curls 3x8

Friday Chest and Triceps

Bench Press 3x8
Dumbell Flyes 3x8
Incline DB bench press 3x8
Cable cross overs 3x8

Seated Dips 3x8
Tricep Extensions 3x8
pulldowns 3x8

Saturday (if possible and most often it is not possible) Legs

There was never really an exercise plan we choose 4 exercises and again did 3 sets of 8 reps and would always include squats.

The exercises for each body part were changed every month but the number of sets and reps remain the same.

Thanks for your time

Jim
Twin

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Well mate all credit to you for doing a fantastic job getting off your butt, working hard and shedding the excess :smt023

I would really consider if I were you doing that 5x5 routine I posted above as it was designed for American Football players and its been around a good 30 years so its tried and tested...

If need be we can easily tweak things to you so that it doesn`t interfere with your AF training....

I`ll get back to you on the speed training as Ive seen some vids somewhere that may suit you nicely & I need to remember where :oops:

Plyometrics are also an option for speed and power production but thats more up Sam69`s street as I`ve never done any ready studying of them...YET ;-)
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby James W » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:52 pm

Hey twin I remember playing the arrows 2 season ago were you playing then?

They were good close games i seem to remember?

Still haven't found that speed article but I know its on here somewhere!! lol
James W
Helot
Helot

Postby Twin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:14 pm

James, yes i played in those games they were close and great encounters i also played against you lot the season before in the playoff game which was a great game apart from the result, lol!

If things go well both of us we could see each other in the playoffs, but thats a long way off with a tough road ahead.

OSC, a few questions on the 5X5 programme you posted earlier.

1)the core exercises mentioned for warm up any suggestions?

2)What does the deload phase involve?

Thanks again for the help and answring of questions its much appreciated.
Twin

Postby Cookie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Twin wrote:OSC, a few questions on the 5X5 programme you posted earlier.

1)the core exercises mentioned for warm up any suggestions?

Here, first exercise, this is 4 exercises in 1, 4 circuits of 6 reps each... :twisted:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zQi5RAq1C6s[/youtube]

2)What does the deload phase involve?

Dropping sets and reps down to 3x3

Thanks again for the help and answring of questions its much appreciated.

Thats what we are all here for matey, glad we can help :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:51 am

Ok we are getting somewhere

Go here and sign up for your free trial then download the speed and agility workout and that has some great stuff on it for increasing your speed on the field. There are also some other football based vids so you have plenty to go at.

When your finished just cancel your membership and it won`t cost you a penny :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Previous

Return to Training