It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:51 pm
Change font size

Training

Help with training

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Help with training

Postby avengedsixfold » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:06 am

hey i'm just wondering if anyone could advise me on the best training schedule and diet routine to help me advance in Muay Thai. I've been training for about 6months and really enjoy it, i run 3 times a week as well as combination of push ups pullups squats and twice a week muay thai class. What other exercises or routines do you think would be beneficial for me, im currently 5'7 and 140 pounds or 65 kgs i think.

Any help greatly appreciated! :grin:
avengedsixfold
Helot
Helot

Postby samurai69 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:57 am

bump
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Muay-tai

Postby Brawan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:26 am

I dont personally train for combat sports but a good mate of mine competes in Muay-Tai and he normally sticks to alot of plyometrics, Oly lifts (ie: Snatch, cleans, jerks and thier variations) and squat variations (split squats and 1/4 squats).Most of the lifts he performs are kept to about 60 - 65% his max with reps in the 10 - 12 range. He currently is on deployment with the army at the moment so I can't tell you any more than I have observed.

Hope this helps you out mate.
Brawan
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby musclemat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:04 am

looks to me like your training is fine as it is, honestly. you are doing a good combination of calisthenics, weights and cardio. concentrate on imporving your techniques and making them as perfect as you can.
"Do what others don't to achieve what others can't"
musclemat
Helot
Helot

Postby avengedsixfold » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:40 pm

thanks for help guys only problem is which i should have mentioned is my right arm stops at the wrist, its not problem for boxing or anything but doing lifts obviously is akward :lol: so any exercises that could be a way around this would be appreciated

thanks again! :cool:
avengedsixfold
Helot
Helot

Postby musclemat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:59 pm

what do you mean by that?you dont have a right hand?
musclemat
Helot
Helot

Postby avengedsixfold » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:11 pm

yup exactly!
avengedsixfold
Helot
Helot

Postby musclemat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:15 pm

wow you are amazing. you work out and boxe even though you have such a disability. i respect you a lot my friend. you have the heart of a true warrior.
ok just put weights in a bucket(obviously just the plates without the bar) and then put the handle of the bucket around your wrist and lift:)
musclemat
Helot
Helot

Postby avengedsixfold » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:47 pm

i really don't know why i'd never thought of that lol :roll: i dont want it to affect me as i play guitar too lol, but all help appreciated and so glad found this site, great respect between everyone which is nice to see for a change

Thanks!! :cool:
avengedsixfold
Helot
Helot

Postby musclemat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:00 pm

i know. thats why i love this site.everyone respects each other. i guess its because we are all spartans hehe
musclemat
Helot
Helot

Postby markraine » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:57 pm

I know a guy that doesn't have a right hand and plays mean guitar...that isn't Owen is it?

Anyway, I used to train in Muay Thai when I lived in Preston. I found that the biggest challenge for me personally was that I trained 5 nights a week, ran with the group before the session, and had/have poor recovery ability.
The way I got around this was specificity of training; i.e: you train Muay Thai to get better at Muay Thai, run to improve your stamina, so your weight training should be no different. For Muay Thai you need a base of power that is then assimilated into powerful technique via your Muay Thai training.
A minimalist routine of clean and jerks once or twice a week would be sufficient to improve your whole body power greatly provided you work steadily and progressively.
There was even a boxer (Tommy Farr, went the distance against Joe Louis) who used the Swing as his only weights exercise!
Muay Thai sessions usually include plenty of calisthenics, so don't worry too much about perfect muscular balance with the weights. You're a fighter, not a bodybuilder!

Do the smart thing and save most of your energy for the Muay Thai!
Walk the walk, don't talk the talk!!
markraine
Helot
Helot

Postby markraine » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:00 pm

Sorry, forgot to add, the swing would be an ideal exercise for you because you could rig up a strap to your right forearm and then do two-arm swings (will save some time too!)
Walk the walk, don't talk the talk!!
markraine
Helot
Helot

Next

Return to Training