It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:34 pm
Change font size

Training

HIHIT

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby brigade » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:40 am

Awesome article. I saw a video clip of Wanderlei Silva training in somewhat this fashion with a snorkel taped to his face. Seemed very interesting and I could easily buy into it. I had been thinking about buying one of the Powerbreathe products based on another topic here on the forums can't remember which one. But after I read this article I went and ordered a LSI-PlusIM-3 Powerbreathe product so I can't wait till that arrives. First I will practice just using it for about 3-4 weeks then I will introduce it into my training to see if I can't kill myself lol. Again good job on the article.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
Quote - Steve Prefontaine

Just Do IT! --- Stolen from NIKE
brigade
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Moving on from UKShite thread.............

And tying things up a little bit better in here..

I managed to read the pdf on 6, 30 sec sprint tests for natural GH secretions & it got me thinking :-k

After the subjects had done the fasting then sprint sessions they sat down & had their bloods done.

Now if I read it correctly they ONLY consumed water during their 3-4hour stinks on the couch.

The subjects then showed a raise on hGH of over 400% from the bloods taken.

If you then take that how would the introduction of carbs/protein post workout figure in the whole concept?

We are always led to believe that we have to hit that *window* of oppurtunity for maximal results, but on the other hand we are led to believe that carbohydrates blunt hGH release, ie don`t eat carbs before bed..

This then leaves you with a quandry: :shock:

Do you wait and allow the hGH to be secreted to the max

OR

Do you take in your carbs/protein & slow down/blunt the hGH release from reaching its peak..

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

On the other hand somebody else once told me that once exercise induced hGH secretions were set in motion, the intake of food wouldn`t do anything to stop those secretions..........

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Al » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:48 pm

You've hunted down and killed the beast. It's time for a feast before the scavengers get the scent. Forget digging up veg to go along with it, they'd take up space that you could be filling with well-earned meat.
Al
Banished

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:28 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Moving on from UKShite thread.............

And tying things up a little bit better in here..

I managed to read the pdf on 6, 30 sec sprint tests for natural GH secretions & it got me thinking :-k

After the subjects had done the fasting then sprint sessions they sat down & had their bloods done.

Now if I read it correctly they ONLY consumed water during their 3-4hour stinks on the couch.

The subjects then showed a raise on hGH of over 400% from the bloods taken.

If you then take that how would the introduction of carbs/protein post workout figure in the whole concept?

We are always led to believe that we have to hit that *window* of oppurtunity for maximal results, but on the other hand we are led to believe that carbohydrates blunt hGH release, ie don`t eat carbs before bed..

This then leaves you with a quandry: :shock:

Do you wait and allow the hGH to be secreted to the max

OR

Do you take in your carbs/protein & slow down/blunt the hGH release from reaching its peak..

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

On the other hand somebody else once told me that once exercise induced hGH secretions were set in motion, the intake of food wouldn`t do anything to stop those secretions..........

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Couldnt of put it better myself lol

Seriously though, i remember speaking about the same thing regarding GH when i was over the dark side. I was told the same thing about food not interfering with GH. The problem is there is so much misinformation given about GH from so called Gurus that it hard to get the real info.
"go out in flames,don't go out any other way!"
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Something else which has just occured to me regarding the use of exercise to stimulate hGH after a period of fasting.

If you take the percentages of hGH secreted after just 6 & 30 seconds of maximal sprinting on a cycle what would happen if you pushed that a little further and did the tabat protocol?

What IF we went a step further and then started doing the HIHIT protocol after an overnight fast?

Could that then be pushed further with the fasting state & the *evolutionary* principles of 14 hour fasts then going out on the hunt for food. Would that stimulate an even greater secretion of hGH?

Then to throw a spanner in throw works ;-)

How would the fasting state & very very intensive exercise have on any muscle mass you already had?

Would it cause the body to start cannibalising itself in a small way to get fuel to keep you going through the intensive period?

Would there be hormonal reactions (hGH) set in motion to getting this fuel for the muscles?

Some thinking to do.........
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby TH&S » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:11 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Something else which has just occured to me regarding the use of exercise to stimulate hGH after a period of fasting.

If you take the percentages of hGH secreted after just 6 & 30 seconds of maximal sprinting on a cycle what would happen if you pushed that a little further and did the tabat protocol?

What IF we went a step further and then started doing the HIHIT protocol after an overnight fast?

Could that then be pushed further with the fasting state & the *evolutionary* principles of 14 hour fasts then going out on the hunt for food. Would that stimulate an even greater secretion of hGH?

Then to throw a spanner in throw works ;-)

How would the fasting state & very very intensive exercise have on any muscle mass you already had?

Would it cause the body to start cannibalising itself in a small way to get fuel to keep you going through the intensive period?

Would there be hormonal reactions (hGH) set in motion to getting this fuel for the muscles?

Some thinking to do.........

Hmmmm....

Lactate would be huge, as would EPOC (oxygen debt) so metabolism would be increased and there would possible be an increase in Catecholamines...

However - normal rules DO NOT apply to trained athletes when it comes to hormonal responses. Trained athletes can happily oxidise lipids even when carbs are consumed pre-WO.

Don't forget lactate is used as a fuel in these situations - hence why lactic acid threshold training is useful - the more lactate you can develop and then dispose of it becomes easier for the body to use this as the path of least resistance.

Interesting...
TH&S
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cheesedog » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:05 am

Al wrote:You've hunted down and killed the beast. It's time for a feast before the scavengers get the scent. Forget digging up veg to go along with it, they'd take up space that you could be filling with well-earned meat.

Quoted for truth!
Spartan is the attitude, not your birthplace.
Cheesedog
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:26 am

TH&S wrote: Hmmmm....

Lactate would be huge, as would EPOC (oxygen debt) so metabolism would be increased and there would possible be an increase in Catecholamines...

However - normal rules DO NOT apply to trained athletes when it comes to hormonal responses. Trained athletes can happily oxidise lipids even when carbs are consumed pre-WO.

Don't forget lactate is used as a fuel in these situations - hence why lactic acid threshold training is useful - the more lactate you can develop and then dispose of it becomes easier for the body to use this as the path of least resistance.

Interesting...

Yes it is interesting, and as soon as the knee is fixed I`ll experiment with it on my days off work with a 12 hr fast then the tabats as soon as I wake up to see what happens.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:31 am

IMO it depends on your goals.

Wanting to cut fat......protein + Fat post work out.

Wanting to gain muscle ....Protein + Carbs.

Ron Kossloff (correct spelling?) talks about protein + fat post work out. So I assume Gironda was of that thinking. I know Gironda was ahead of his time but the more I read and actually take on board, the more of an ingenious he seems.

I forget Poliquins take on PW nutrition but Dave Palumbo suggests P+C post work out when your gaining weight, to help recovery and shuttle nutrients to the muscle (and at this point your not too worried about GH for fat loss). Also, the insulin spike we get from carbs may stoop your body producing more GH but surely the GH you have produced from exercising isn't just going to 'disappear'?

P+F when dieting (although Dave Palumbo's diet is a keto one) and the nutrients still get shuttled to the muscle just not as well as they would with those carbs.
Long John silver has nothing on me
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Eat & Train why over complicate
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:32 pm

Eric wrote:Eat & Train why over complicate

Because I want to be the best possible :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:02 pm

Not everyone is a smart as the cookie :grin:

Most people just over complicate the basics
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos