It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:18 am
Change font size

Training

Powerlifting

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Powerlifting

Postby Cookie » Fri May 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Chris wrote:at a lighter weight (ie 67.5 -75kg class) 5-6 times body weight would be quite respectable for a first time effort. Assuming your thinking of lifting in the 75kg class I would be aiming for Squat 130-157.5, Bench press 95 -112.5 Deadlift 150-180kg This equates to 5-6 times bodyweight total split roughtly 35% - 25% - 40% between your three lifts. Obviously your individual mechanics can make a difference on that spread. I'm usually more like 37 - 23 - 40 (Monster Squatter poor Bencher). Where are you at now?

I should add too that where you lift can make a huge difference, I lifted in the South west in 2007 and was 5th in my weight class. I lifted 4 months later in the South East and won my weightclass. Not a massive difference in total, but a big difference in quality of fellow lifters. Bear in mind that records are just that, the very best. Powerlifting meets are usually very accepting/supportive of novice lifters (If you've never lifted in a meet you're a novice - regardless of previous experience).

5 more workouts then I can give you what my current maximums are.

Chris wrote:Sam! we're supposed to be encouraging him to give it a go not putting him off!

No worries I expect it off him. Probably still upset that I lapped the 90kg stone first time when it took him was it 3,4,5 tries :-k :mrgreen:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:59 pm

that will be in KG remember!!!

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Chris » Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Cookie wrote:
Chris wrote:at a lighter weight (ie 67.5 -75kg class) 5-6 times body weight would be quite respectable for a first time effort. Assuming your thinking of lifting in the 75kg class I would be aiming for Squat 130-157.5, Bench press 95 -112.5 Deadlift 150-180kg This equates to 5-6 times bodyweight total split roughtly 35% - 25% - 40% between your three lifts. Obviously your individual mechanics can make a difference on that spread. I'm usually more like 37 - 23 - 40 (Monster Squatter poor Bencher). Where are you at now?

I should add too that where you lift can make a huge difference, I lifted in the South west in 2007 and was 5th in my weight class. I lifted 4 months later in the South East and won my weightclass. Not a massive difference in total, but a big difference in quality of fellow lifters. Bear in mind that records are just that, the very best. Powerlifting meets are usually very accepting/supportive of novice lifters (If you've never lifted in a meet you're a novice - regardless of previous experience).

Try and catch them on video so we can see form too
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Chris » Fri May 28, 2010 10:00 pm

This is the BDFPA results for your region last year http://www.bdfpa.co.uk/results/2009/2009%20NE%20Jan.pdf, If I was you I'd probably be thinking of trying to stay under 67.5kg, rather than lifting in the 75kg class.
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Sat May 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Chris wrote:This is the BDFPA results for your region last year http://www.bdfpa.co.uk/results/2009/2009%20NE%20Jan.pdf, If I was you I'd probably be thinking of trying to stay under 67.5kg, rather than lifting in the 75kg class.

This morning I weighed in at 69.4kg dressed. The 67.5 would be easier for me weight wise to hit.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Previous

Return to Training