It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm
Change font size

Training

Overtraining

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Overtraining

Postby Cookie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Does it exist or a modern day lazy man`s crutch?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Overtraining

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Cookie wrote:Does it exist or a modern day lazy man`s crutch?

to an extent its a modern day lazy mans crutch, there are times when you can be in to serious overtraining, but generally i reckon its an excuse to not train as hard as you should....to many relly on the drugs to give them the muscle or the strength etc

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:27 pm

samurai69 wrote: to an extent its a modern day lazy mans crutch, there are times when you can be in to serious overtraining, but generally i reckon its an excuse to not train as hard as you should....to many relly on the drugs to give them the muscle or the strength etc

I`ll wait to see what others have to say then throw in my own tuppence worth.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote: to an extent its a modern day lazy mans crutch, there are times when you can be in to serious overtraining, but generally i reckon its an excuse to not train as hard as you should....to many relly on the drugs to give them the muscle or the strength etc

I`ll wait to see what others have to say then throw in my own tuppence worth.

figured

#
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby tomato » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:34 pm

i think it does exist
maybe not in every day people but definitly in high level/elite athletes
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:36 pm

tomato wrote:i think it does exist

Do you think an every day person could still unwittingly train themselves into an "overtrained" state?

And how would you/they know?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:39 pm

take someone like bruce lee...............most would say he was overtrained as he wrked out every day and at all times of the day

take a gymnast they worrkout for 2, 3 or 4 hours per day every day........some of the best , strongest and most flexible physiques

take a road cyclist 2 or 3 hour bike rides most days with 1 or 3 longer ones thrown in

all TRAINED ATHLETES!!!

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Al » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Prefer the term "under recovered" to "over trained".

I don't think that you can train too hard. I do think that you can train too often. "Too often" is not allowing your body to recover from its previous exertions.

Proof of a training program (the work AND the rest), for whatever the sport is progress. If progress is being made: great. If not then look at the work put in and the recovery in between. One or both need tweaked.
Al
Banished

Postby tomato » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:56 pm

samurai69 wrote:take someone like bruce lee...............most would say he was overtrained as he wrked out every day and at all times of the day

take a gymnast they worrkout for 2, 3 or 4 hours per day every day........some of the best , strongest and most flexible physiques

take a road cyclist 2 or 3 hour bike rides most days with 1 or 3 longer ones thrown in

all TRAINED ATHLETES!!!

this is a big generalisation, how many people are there like bruce lee? im not certain of this but would his training have comprised of different types of training, and at different intensities??
ok cyclist and gymnasts, you say 'the best.' The best will have well designed training programmes which consist of different ranges of duration and intensites, as you have mentioned, and also manage fatigue.
what about those with bad traning programmes, the ones who do suffer from overtraining and dont quite make it.

overtraining to me is, consistently high training loads and intensities, inadequate rest poor nutrition.
resulting in poor performance, and a host of other symptomes, impaired immune system, fatigue tiredness, weight loss etc
many sports people or athletes will train twce a day, but this is organised with proper rest and nutrition
Last edited by tomato on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby tomato » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Cookie wrote:
tomato wrote:i think it does exist

Do you think an every day person could still unwittingly train themselves into an "overtrained" state?

And how would you/they know?

i think everyday people may unwittingly overtrain, maybe not often but it could happen

but they may not be aware of this as they are not aware of their own training ability, they have not specific goal to reach and train towards, they do not monitor performance or a re just unaware of overtraining and its effects, and put it down to other factors
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:11 pm

tomato wrote:this is a big generalisation, how many people are there like bruce lee? im not certain of this but would his training have comprised of different types of training, and at different intensities??
ok cyclist and gymnasts, you say 'the best.' The best will have well designed training programmes which consist of different ranges of duration and intensites, as you have mentioned, and also manage fatigue.
what about those with bad traning programmes, the ones who do suffer from overtraining and dont quite make it.

overtraining to me is, consistently high training loads and intensities, inadequate rest poor nutrition.
resulting in poor performance, and a host of other symptomes, impaired immune system, fatigue tiredness, weight loss etc
many sports people or athletes will train twce a day, but this is organised with proper rest and nutrition and

But don`t you think S69 is look at it as athletes who have already done years of basic ground work to fine tune their systems to handle such huge workloads?

We all know if you look at the average gym bunny that they`ll not know anything about cycling their training correctly without even going into meso & micro cycling

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby tomato » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:26 pm

yep gym bunnies don't know how to cycle, they will do the same had training all the time thinking this is good, and find it difficult to improve without knowing why.
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Next

Return to Training