It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:58 am
Change font size

Training

Overtraining

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Overtraining

Postby tomato » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:33 pm

not sure how detailed you want this

recently i have been trying 2 upper 2 lower days a week, but one may spill over to the next week
up to 8 sets for quads, maybe 4 for hamstrings
6 sets chest/6 back/ 6 shoulders

warmups will generally include sets with the bar, buildiing up to a working weight. Maybe 4-5 sets in total but depends how i feel. plus one easy set on consequent exercises. i i work i different area in that sessiom i may do a few more warmups for that session. cooldown may consist of stretches but not always.

I also cycle around 3-4 hours a week, the intensity is msotly moderate, but can get high, mainly on the quads rather than heart rate. This volume has gone slightly higher recently.

maybe swimming 1-2 x week, not every week., 2-3 weeks out of 4. this has slowed last few weeks as rugby training 1x week.

spinning class, 45 min saturdat 30 min sunday, moderate to high

CV work cycling/swimming/ rugby has increased through the year

tomato wrote:in fact im feeling pretty overtrained myself right about now :lol: :oops:
that was a joke by the way
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:55 pm

tomato wrote:not sure how detailed you want this

recently i have been trying 2 upper 2 lower days a week, but one may spill over to the next week
up to 8 sets for quads, maybe 4 for hamstrings
6 sets chest/6 back/ 6 shoulders

warmups will generally include sets with the bar, buildiing up to a working weight. Maybe 4-5 sets in total but depends how i feel. plus one easy set on consequent exercises. i i work i different area in that sessiom i may do a few more warmups for that session. cooldown may consist of stretches but not always.

I also cycle around 3-4 hours a week, the intensity is msotly moderate, but can get high, mainly on the quads rather than heart rate. This volume has gone slightly higher recently.

maybe swimming 1-2 x week, not every week., 2-3 weeks out of 4. this has slowed last few weeks as rugby training 1x week.

spinning class, 45 min saturdat 30 min sunday, moderate to high

CV work cycling/swimming/ rugby has increased through the year

Very similar to me then total volume wise.

My last 3 workouts from end current program:

Warm-up

Weights
Squats: 5x5 @ 60% 1RM (141lbs)
Bench: 5x5 @ 60% 1RM (105lbs)
Dead-lift5x5 @ 60% 1RM (150lbs)

1 minutes rest between sets. Reps to be as fast as possible whilst maintaining form.

Bruch curls None

Standing calf raises 1x20

Halo`s 2x24

Core: Done

Stretches: Done (AIS)

Bar Hangs: Done

Warm-up

Weights
Squats: 5x5 @ 65% 1RM (153lbs)
Bench: 5x5 @ 65% 1RM (114lbs)
Dead-lift5x5 @ 60% 1RM (163lbs)

1 minutes rest between sets. Reps to be as fast as possible whilst maintaining form.

Bruch curls: None

Standing calf raises: None

Halo`s: None

Core: None

Stretches: Done (AIS)

Bar Hangs: Later

Warm-up

Weights
Squats: 5x5 @ 70% 1RM (165lbs)
Bench: 5x5 @ 70% 1RM (123lbs)
Dead-lift5x5 @ 70% 1RM (175lbs)

Bruch curls None

Standing calf raises 1x15

Halo`s 1x24

Core: none

Stretches: AIS

Bar Hangs: Done

Active recovery in between each session with a jog & stretches. Then a daily walking workload of around 12-15 miles & 4-5 miles per day cycling.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Quick quote from Team Sky in this years Tour de France

As with every Brailsford project, nothing has been left to chance and Team Sky will not copy the practices of the established teams.
Brailsford said: ‘We’ve done a lot of analysis of hydration, nutrition and sleep, on getting the body to recover from a day’s effort to be best prepared for the next day.
'The sports science guys are starting to uncover some very interesting things that we’re working on.’

I hope the rest of us mere mortals know :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:58 am

Got quite a few new bits to add to this for over the weekend :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Athletes adapt to the means of recovery just like they adapt to exercises so the frequent application of the same arrangement of the means of recovery leads adaptation to these means and thus lowers their effectiveness [Kawa 1991]

Generally the means of speeding up recovery should be applied not when the unaided pace of recovery is highest-immediately after a workout-but when it slows down[Talyshev 1977]

There may be a connection between overtraining associated with chronically elevated levels of cortisol, lack of REM sleep, and the mental symptoms of overtraining. Gronfier et al (1999) shows that REM sleep is associated with s decrease in cortisol secretion.

Not sleeping for two nights causes a stress response with an increase of plasma cortisol and suppression of nightly release of growth hormone (Radomski et al 1992)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:58 am

Couple of more points I`ve just read: bullet points

Lack of fats: Muscle soreness & stiffness due to lack of calcium entering cells because of a lack of prostaglandins made from fats. Calcium is needed to help relax the muscles after exercise.

Lack of protein: Flabby muscles, longer muscle soreness, slower recovery after training, loss of calcium.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:05 am

lots of good info..... need to absorb.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:15 am

Scott wrote:lots of good info..... need to absorb.

Your telling me.

I`m only scanning through the materials & it is giving me a right teaching lesson.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:06 pm

Overtraining is unplanned, stagnation, over stressing the individual, irrational training methods, poorly scheduled rest, too intensive unvarying workouts, increase of training load coupled with increase of stress.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Cookie wrote:Overtraining is unplanned, stagnation, over stressing the individual, irrational training methods, poorly scheduled rest, too intensive unvarying workouts, increase of training load coupled with increase of stress.

This is a good thread. I too am absorbing everything.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:This is a good thread. I too am absorbing everything.

One thing I do find (for me) is that if I am heading into a state of over-training / over reaching I will in fact train even harder & make the effects & end result appear much sooner. A lot of other people I have seen fall into that very same situation.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:01 am

Another issue I find so prevalent within the training contingent these days is overuse of "supplements" that are used to fire up an individuals "drive~focus" leading up to a workout. We have all found that a cup of black gold (coffee) works yet these products seem to take it to a near chemical level & in my honest opinion~experience are at times counter productive. Occasional use I have no problem with especially on those days when your not feeling 100% up for the workout or following a hard day at work. But what I have seen is that occasional use almost always goes to "constant" use & the body~individual cannot function without them. The other negative seems to be that these "supplements" have a tendency to push the trainee far beyond their normal training capacity but worse of all "beyond their actual recovery abilities". If this continues over a prolonged amount of time a "supplement" which was designed to help an individual break down barriers becomes the very thing that stops them from reaching & breaching those barriers.

As someone once said to me "you can put a Ferrari engine into a mini but eventually it`ll shake itself to bits" & that is something I think that continual use of these products does.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

PreviousNext

Return to Training