It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:53 am
Change font size

Training

need some ideas for band attachment on lifting platform

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

need some ideas for band attachment on lifting platform

Postby samurai69 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 am

i want to put some sort of band attachment on 1 of my lifting platforms, but the platforms i have are basically only plwood, no frame and i want to put some sort of hooks/loops on either side so i can attach bands to it for deadlifts and also presses/squats etc

any ideas on how to construct something without too much expense and solid and safe enough that the platforms not going to pull up or split if i add some really heavy bands

maybe some sort of flat bar under the whole platform with a U bolt at each side

any ideas appreciated
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Re: need some ideas for band attachment on lifting platform

Postby Al » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:13 am

samurai69 wrote:i want to put some sort of band attachment on 1 of my lifting platforms, but the platforms i have are basically only plwood, no frame and i want to put some sort of hooks/loops on either side so i can attach bands to it for deadlifts and also presses/squats etc

any ideas on how to construct something without too much expense and solid and safe enough that the platforms not going to pull up or split if i add some really heavy bands

maybe some sort of flat bar under the whole platform with a U bolt at each side

any ideas appreciated

That's the sort of I would suggest. I don't think you'll need a flat bar under the whole platform, the wood will be strong enough and the bands are going to snap first.

I use the setup pictured. I removed a couple of screws, but 4 screws held it fine. For a better solution I'd go with the bolts through the platform and a small plate on the underside as u suggested. Local hardware store (not B&Q: a propr H/W store) should have bins full of different fixings to browse through.
Attachments
Band Anchor.JPG
Band Anchor.JPG (93 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Al
Banished

Postby samurai69 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:04 am

thats a solid piece of wood you have there, the only thing i am concerned with is the plywood platforms i have could start to pull up, because its a commercial gym i have to take it in to account that everyone that trains there is an idiot and wont attch things properly r will over lift the bands etc, also thinking it may need to be set into the plTFORM SO ITS NOT A TRIPPING HAZARD, maybe even put another board underneath with u bolts attached to that then place these platforms over the top with holes cut out for the u bolts to pop through

some of the expensive platforms from elite etc have something like that

maybe it would be better to construct some sort of additional platform just for band work, that could either fit on top of normal platform or as a standalone platform of its own

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Al » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:14 am

Yes, I see that there are other things to consider. Your version of an Elite product may be the way to go. They'll have had to jump through the H&S hoops to get in on the market, so much of the design has already been done for you. A matter of making a homemade one that'll stand up to the wear and tear of your clients
Al
Banished

Postby samurai69 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:22 am

Al wrote:Yes, I see that there are other things to consider. Your version of an Elite product may be the way to go. They'll have had to jump through the H&S hoops to get in on the market, so much of the design has already been done for you. A matter of making a homemade one that'll stand up to the wear and tear of your clients

yeh, maybe i will take a closer look at the production models

may go the way of a separate designed module just for band work..............lets see what i can come up with

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:38 pm

At one of the gyms I used to frequent we had them relocate the power rack so we could put the platform behind it and welded up band attachments to the back of the rack. It was in a corner out of the way and you could in theory use both the rack and the platform at the same time, but with this crowd everyone shied away when the platform was in use. :grin:

Another way would be to sandwich a piece of sheet metal between plywood and counter sink the holes on the bottom plywood so the bolts would not protrude. You would then not have a problem of the wood eventually tiring. A bit overkill, but like you said you have too if it is a public piece of equipment. You would need to put a few layers of ply on top so the hooks are flush and not a tripping hazard.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:At one of the gyms I used to frequent we had them relocate the power rack so we could put the platform behind it and welded up band attachments to the back of the rack. It was in a corner out of the way and you could in theory use both the rack and the platform at the same time, but with this crowd everyone shied away when the platform was in use. :grin:

Another way would be to sandwich a piece of sheet metal between plywood and counter sink the holes on the bottom plywood so the bolts would not protrude. You would then not have a problem of the wood eventually tiring. A bit overkill, but like you said you have too if it is a public piece of equipment. You would need to put a few layers of ply on top so the hooks are flush and not a tripping hazard.

prefer 2nd option

the 2 big racks we have already have top and botom band attachments so in theory we could use them, but it takes away a bit from the racks other uses

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Training