It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:26 pm
Change font size

Training

Tour Of Scotland....battle of the stones

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tour Of Scotland....battle of the stones

Postby Cookie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:42 pm

samurai69 wrote:at 14 seconds you can see air under that clearley all the way so even though to me it didnt feel as good it was a good lift

shame julie mucked up the video on the second one as that could have been (felt like it anway) better than 1st

Having a large memory camcorder helps because you can press record once & just let it run for an hour or so :mrgreen:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:12 am

New blog posted & still more to come :grin:

http://www.spartan-warriors.co.uk/training/?p=185
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Keep them coming dude!

In one of the blog entries you talked briefly about a new stone being put in play, but the way it was worded it sounded like a bunch of stuff was involved because the stone was not going to be available for the public for awhile.

Is this something anyone can do or is there a set, or gentlemen agreement to how these stones come into play? What does it take to make a stone accepted as a stone worthy of others making a long trek to lift. Is it just hyping it, creating a legend, or getting someone to endorse it, or simply having a willing caretaker?

What I am getting at is let’s say, hypothetically of course, Cookie is doing his box jumps and moves the box up to 50”, but does so in a means that is structurally deficient. The box tumbles after his successful jump, as does Cookie. Cookie bangs his knee on something hard on the ground and while cursing and having a fit proceeds claw at the ground and happens to discover a stone that has strange markings or things he believes would make an epic lifting stone.
Could he then label this the Spartan Stone and in an effort to bring more business to a friends gym or motel, or pub, or village, move it to the said location we will use the Spartan gym as an example, build a special alter so to speak, hype it up on the internet enough that it would be accepted among Stone Lifters, or even contract a few legendary stone lifters/strongmen to come out and endorse it so that it is also mentioned in the same page as say the Dini stones or any of the others?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Keep them coming dude!

In one of the blog entries you talked briefly about a new stone being put in play, but the way it was worded it sounded like a bunch of stuff was involved because the stone was not going to be available for the public for awhile.

Is this something anyone can do or is there a set, or gentlemen agreement to how these stones come into play? What does it take to make a stone accepted as a stone worthy of others making a long trek to lift. Is it just hyping it, creating a legend, or getting someone to endorse it, or simply having a willing caretaker?

What I am getting at is let’s say, hypothetically of course, Cookie is doing his box jumps and moves the box up to 50”, but does so in a means that is structurally deficient. The box tumbles after his successful jump, as does Cookie. Cookie bangs his knee on something hard on the ground and while cursing and having a fit proceeds claw at the ground and happens to discover a stone that has strange markings or things he believes would make an epic lifting stone.
Could he then label this the Spartan Stone and in an effort to bring more business to a friends gym or motel, or pub, or village, move it to the said location we will use the Spartan gym as an example, build a special alter so to speak, hype it up on the internet enough that it would be accepted among Stone Lifters, or even contract a few legendary stone lifters/strongmen to come out and endorse it so that it is also mentioned in the same page as say the Dini stones or any of the others?

Big post :lol:

As a rule the manhood stones (ones we attempted/lifted) are all associated with either a stone used by a clan as a right of passage or as a warning sign to other clans not to try to attack their castle/village because there was a big strong dude in the castle/village who could lift that enormous stone & he`s waiting to smash you to bits if you attempt to come in.

The Dinnie stones are slightly different as they were used to act as ballast to hold down some scaffolding when a bridge was being repaired a few hundred years ago. Story goes that they were picked up & carried across the width of the bridge both at the same time when the scaffolding was being moved. This then became a tradition to try & emulate with very few ever managing to lift them never mind walk with them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscot ... ndex.shtml

As for the other stones I mentioned that would be available next year this is because there has been a rumour that the Dinnie stones will soon be taken of the lifting scene & their woners not letting anyone lift them any more because of fear of damage & the iron rings wearing through, hundreds try each year so they do get a little wear & tear. The "new" stones are a set of stone a multiple time Dinnie stone lifter dragged from the far end of his land & used to train with for his Dinnie stone attempts & he wants to give something back to the brotherhood of stone & allow people to still have a chance of a "Dinniesque" lift if the Dinnie stones are removed from the scene. from what we were told he was wanting to build a proper platform for people to lift the stones off away from the house so that the family didn`t get disturbed by big guys just turning up to lift them.

We do know that there are people out there researching the history of the clans & stones with the hope of finding them so that people can start lifting them again.

Some stones are only used in highland games & not for public use, one set is locked to the side of a church wall because the council thought it was a dangerous thing to do & people might hurt themselves :roll: & we recently found out that a new one had been found but was being used as a church font. The vicar not too keen on letting people lift it :lol:

And I have named & do have a Spartan Stone of Strength which I`ve lifted just round the corner from where I live :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:21 pm

as an add on from that re the gym, it would be a stone to lift but not the manhood stones of scotland....i was thinking of getting a couple of stones for out side the gym so people could try their hand, but these wouldnt go down in history as manhood stones
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Great info. And really glad you guys got to hit the Dinnies before they take them off the loop. One of those memories that last a lifetime.

Given your enthusiasm and what I have seen with your gym, I think getting a few stones is a given. Have one a small percentage of the members can tackle with some training and another that only a select few can lift, or one that you need to bring in a top strong man to tackle, and create a wall of fame so to speak with their pictures. If you can get the right stones it could be great marketing. You could even set up a designated day each month or every few months so it does not become taken for granted for official attempts to be made while making a party of it.

I think I need to put this on the bucket list :mrgreen: I assume you two are for hire as "guides?"
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Great info. And really glad you guys got to hit the Dinnies before they take them off the loop. One of those memories that last a lifetime.

Given your enthusiasm and what I have seen with your gym, I think getting a few stones is a given. Have one a small percentage of the members can tackle with some training and another that only a select few can lift, or one that you need to bring in a top strong man to tackle, and create a wall of fame so to speak with their pictures. If you can get the right stones it could be great marketing. You could even set up a designated day each month or every few months so it does not become taken for granted for official attempts to be made while making a party of it.

I think I need to put this on the bucket list :mrgreen: I assume you two are for hire as "guides?"

If he can get some decent natural stones for the gym it would make a great addition. The rounder & smoother the better, makes it more fun trying to grip properly.

All being well we`ll be back up there next year to lift the ones we missed this year & any new ones that are found or allowed back into the scene.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:19 am

Melas Zomos wrote:I think I need to put this on the bucket list :mrgreen: I assume you two are for hire as "guides?"

Now is that meant to read "book it" or is it some form of Americanism I`m unfamiliar with?

If so what else is on the "book it" list & have you given yourself any time frame to do these "book it" list items?

Oh how the English language is going down hill :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 am

LOL! the bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you die or 'kick the bucket' :grin:
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Scott wrote:LOL! the bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you die or 'kick the bucket' :grin:

what he said.
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:27 am

Scott wrote:LOL! the bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you die or 'kick the bucket' :grin:

New one on me is that

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:54 am

Cookie wrote:

New one on me is that

there was even a film out about 3 years ago called "the bucket list" think morgan freeman was in it

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

PreviousNext

Return to Training