It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 11:43 am
Change font size

Training

Gym Challenges

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Gym Challenges

Postby tomato » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi guys, i am trying to get some events going on in my gym in terms of entering events, outings or in gym challenges.

i was wondering if there are any suggestions you may have for in gym challenges or anything you have done before which worked well!

i am trying to get a variation of events which will capture the imagination, get people excited about training and get soem atmosphere in the place. i need some easy ones and also some challenging ones so everyone can get involved

cheers fellas
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Re: Gym Challenges

Postby samurai69 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 am

apart from the normal powerlifting type moves

we used to do a farmers walk challenge 105kg for distance on a there and back circuit

also did a samson hold (cant remember the name again) for time

we also dis a power circuit for time.

all best times went on the whiteboard until someone else beat it

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Box, vertical, broad jumps.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby tomato » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:54 pm

cheers fellas, ill try and get some interest,
i would really have to push for that kind of stuff when there is more interest and we have it stablished, most guys who lift weight ar more into it for vanity reasons, which is a shame

the other clientele are fitness orientated so im looking at running cycling swimming stairmill rower and maybe grappler, maybe body weigh challenges,burpess press ups dips etc and combinations of them

also the management seem to push in adfferent direction than me, they are a bit shy of hard challenges...... they think it will scare people off.
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby samurai69 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:14 am

what about a cross the channel row or a climb the mattahorn or run a marathon type challeng on the rower/stepper/treadmill

we did one with nato in portugal

where they rowed the channel, climbed the height of K1 and cycled 1 leg of the tour defrance

raised some money for "help for heroes" too

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:11 am

samurai69 wrote:what about a cross the channel row or a climb the mattahorn or run a marathon type challeng on the rower/stepper/treadmill

where they rowed the channel, climbed the height of K1 and cycled 1 leg of the tour defrance

I like the concept behind those & the added incentive of doing it for a good cause I think would inspire some people who normally would not attempt any form of challenge to step up & have a go =D>
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby tomato » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:44 pm

samurai69 wrote:what about a cross the channel row or a climb the mattahorn or run a marathon type challeng on the rower/stepper/treadmill

i have looked at a few of those and they look the most promising. ive got the distance of the channel and some rivers, the heights and number of stories for buildings and the height of some mountaisn aswell. I think having a target based on a physiacl object which people can recognise, works better for most people. i wioll keep plugging away and see what the management have to say!
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Return to Training