It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:46 am
Change font size

Training

GREAT article on why your training and or fitness program

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: GREAT article on why your training and or fitness progra

Postby Cookie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Great discussion guys :grin:

Scott I`m with you on the running...Plenty of jogging was more than likely done (just look at the indigenous Africans calf muscles) then into sprints as & when needed.

I`ve seen stuff on this before & archaeologists have said we evolved to cross large distances in search of food.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Cookie wrote:
I`ve seen stuff on this before & archaeologists have said we evolved to cross large distances in search of food.

only when they look at more arrid areas................yeh there is some migration of herds, but even the plains indian contained and hearded buffalo and horses

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:47 pm

samurai69 wrote:
Scott wrote:
samurai69 wrote: like all articles its directed at the inane running machine type gym goers

yeah. its too easy to keep cardio within your comfort zone. you see a lot of that.
there was an article on tnation recently as well from Martin Rooney about mma training where he basically talked about how people should be basing their mma training around strength training more than the more common cicuit based 'hammer it til ya puke' style.

read that
i have a guy at the gym preparing for his first aba boxing match its 3 rounds of 2 minutes, he doesnt need the cardio of a marathon runner, but was coming in and pushing the cardio too hard.....better to train smart rather than just hard............if he had more power and speed he could take the guy out quicker or get more points attempting it!!

Finding that balance between the two is what separates the winners from the losers. The problem with telling a client he should be concentrating more on strength and speed is they often times take this a bit wrong and cut out too much conditioning (if left to train on their own). I am not saying this is happening with any of you guys or your clients.
I have worked both ends of this balance. In the beginning I was strong and had no problem muscling out of jams or using it to my advantage as suggested, but inevitably comes a time when your competition gets better and then you find yourself getting gassed in the middle of a fight. Their is nothing worse that gassing out in a fight and after this happened to me, I concentrated most of my focus to conditioning (which I am assuming you mean cardio). The problem with this angle was I did lose a significant amount of strength and this hurt me executing some moves that I normally could without a second thought.
Finding that balance and developing a program that addresses both is the key and as you can see watching any venue most of fighters are on one side or the other.
I have worked with a guy that could literly kill me with his punching power. In order to beat the guy all you had to do was avoid him for 1:30-2min and victory was pretty much assured for even the novice of fighters.
I know what your saying, finding that balance in a program is the key.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:
Finding that balance between the two is what separates the winners from the losers. The problem with telling a client he should be concentrating more on strength and speed is they often times take this a bit wrong and cut out too much conditioning (if left to train on their own). I am not saying this is happening with any of you guys or your clients.
I have worked both ends of this balance. In the beginning I was strong and had no problem muscling out of jams or using it to my advantage as suggested, but inevitably comes a time when your competition gets better and then you find yourself getting gassed in the middle of a fight. Their is nothing worse that gassing out in a fight and after this happened to me, I concentrated most of my focus to conditioning (which I am assuming you mean cardio). The problem with this angle was I did lose a significant amount of strength and this hurt me executing some moves that I normally could without a second thought.
Finding that balance and developing a program that addresses both is the key and as you can see watching any venue most of fighters are on one side or the other.
I have worked with a guy that could literly kill me with his punching power. In order to beat the guy all you had to do was avoid him for 1:30-2min and victory was pretty much assured for even the novice of fighters.
I know what your saying, finding that balance in a program is the key.

yeh, your right the point here is finding the correct balance, my guy has 3 rounds of 2 minute, therefore its unlikley that he needs to be training cardio to the level of a marathon runner, he is planning on MMA fights next year and these are 5 minute rounds and 3 or 5 so again he will neeed different set of parameters also the nature og "gassing" changes maybe through grappling or maybe through running round the ring etc etc etc

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 am

I think the hardest part and most disruptive of any conditioning program is taking in account the adrenaline factor. I always find it interesting to see how different athletes handle it and how it effects them.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:01 am

Melas Zomos wrote:I think the hardest part and most disruptive of any conditioning program is taking in account the adrenaline factor. I always find it interesting to see how different athletes handle it and how it effects them.

Ah adrenaline, yeh an interesting area there, i think it depends on the training and also the conditioning to adrenaline especially within combat sports

an athlete competing in perhaps one of their first fights for example with his adrenaline already running high gets a secondary adrenal dump when first bell goes and even a third adrenal dump when the first blow is struck......has such a massive amount of adrenaline thrust upon them that its very hard to control this same effect can also be pushed in to the training arena very intersting!!

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:06 pm

@ Melas Zomos

But if you're running to drop body fat, remove that last little layer of flab from around your midsection, or look good at the beach, you're doing it for the wrong reasons -- unless your last name is Hasslehoff.

:butthead: :finga: :mrgreen:

For the rest of the article.......

Most strength trainers, or anyone who's ever taken a physiology class, have heard the ol' sprinter vs. marathon runner comparison a thousand times. You know the drill. Marathon runners that engage in primarily low intensity, aerobic activity are usually skinny-fat, jiggle when they wiggle, and are so injured and beat-up that they look like they've come straight out of a Resident Evil movie. Sprinters that engage in primarily high intensity, anaerobic work are generally more lean and muscular.

Narrow minded comment. Why? because from my own research into "distance" runners the biggest thing that has separated the African runners from the rest of the world & allowed them to dominate is not purely because of that same old tired mantra of "altitude" but the simple fact that they live in a harsh environment where physical labour is required each & every day just to get anything done.

They are better because they are stronger.

Read the rest of the article & to be honest it annoyed the shit out of me. :evil:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Cookie wrote:
Read the rest of the article & to be honest it annoyed the shit out of me. :evil:

yep. he does talk a lot of shite in places.
Dont think Ive seen a pro or a top competitive level type of marathon runner or endurance athlete who is skinny fat.

If he is directing this whole article just at 'physique athletes' as he calls them (I assume he means BBers) then from my experience of training I dont think you'll find many that are in any kind of shape to sprint the length of themselves.

Ross E's articles on this type of thing are far better.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Melas Zomos » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:57 am

Cookie wrote:@ Melas Zomos

But if you're running to drop body fat, remove that last little layer of flab from around your midsection, or look good at the beach, you're doing it for the wrong reasons -- unless your last name is Hasslehoff.

:butthead: :finga: :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was waiting to see if you picked that up. :finga:
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:45 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Yeah, I was waiting to see if you picked that up. :finga:

I like to live up to peoples expectations of me :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:09 am

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Yeah, I was waiting to see if you picked that up. :finga:

I like to live up to peoples expectations of me :mrgreen:

Your 1 for 2 chum. No kilt/no warpaint on the stones cost you :mrgreen:
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Your 1 for 2 chum. No kilt/no warpaint on the stones cost you :mrgreen:

Don`t have any Scottish ancestry that I know of so would not be allowed to wear kilt.

As for the warpaint well that could be arranged :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

PreviousNext

Return to Training