It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:13 pm
Change font size

Training

11 Myths of Warrior Training

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 am

This is a really good article.

Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, power cleans; the basics, combined with some sprinting and some stretching. It may not be glamorous, but it makes you stronger and faster
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: 11 Myths of Warrior Training

Postby samurai69 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Scott wrote:11 Myths of Warrior Training

This is a really good article.

Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, power cleans; the basics, combined with some sprinting and some stretching. It may not be glamorous, but it makes you stronger and faster

read it a week or 2 ago, some good points made again
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Not a bad read
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:48 pm

goes against what a lot of mma places are doing. 'Mimicking' fight conditions, hammering the high rep circuits, limiting the strength work are all quite common practices.
you wonder if part of it is the usual t-nation 'lets shout about going against the grain to get noticed' style article but Ive seen the likes of Frankie Edgar working a fair bit with Rooney and in Edgars last fight he was probably the text book example of a conditioned athlete.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:02 pm

conditioned for the fight is ok, but a fight lasts 5 minutes 5 times with short rests

my man boxing was nailing huge cardio sessions and complexes for a fight that is 3 x 2 minute rounds.......6 minutes over 8 minutes........that should be all he needs to train for

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:20 pm

samurai69 wrote: but a fight lasts 5 minutes 5 times with short rests
or 3 rounds of 5 mins.
my man boxing was nailing huge cardio sessions and complexes for a fight that is 3 x 2 minute rounds.......6 minutes over 8 minutes........that should be all he needs to train for

how long was his average cardio session and how many times per week did he do cardio?

tbh, I can see the benefit of the multiple rounds of fighting. We used to do that regular in judo and I liked going into 5th or so round totally fucked. you had to dig deeper and think about what you were doing a lot more, that said there were also plenty times in judo I thought we took that shit far too far!
Not that Im arguing the points in the article, Martin Rooney knows his stuff. It is a bit against the grain for a lot of mma training though.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Scott wrote:
samurai69 wrote: but a fight lasts 5 minutes 5 times with short rests
or 3 rounds of 5 mins.

how long was his average cardio session and how many times per week did he do cardio?

tbh, I can see the benefit of the multiple rounds of fighting. We used to do that regular in judo and I liked going into 5th or so round totally fucked. you had to dig deeper and think about what you were doing a lot more, that said there were also plenty times in judo I thought we took that shit far too far!
Not that Im arguing the points in the article, Martin Rooney knows his stuff. It is a bit against the grain for a lot of mma training though.

man this is such a complicated subject

the guy that came in to me was being pushed in to major cardio/conditioning like an hour of skipping, then fast high intensity complexes tghen sledge hammers then ropes etc this all done pretty non stop.........way too much work for a fight thats going to last a total of 6 minutes....................all he is doing is conditioning himself for more conditioning

he needed /needs more strength and power as is said in the article

cookie needs a good base for his coal race, this guy could probably run a 10k straight from the gym and then still fight for 3 x 2 min rounds.............would he win..........maybe, but if he was stronger faster and more powerfull the chance of winning would be increased

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Training