It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:02 am
Change font size

Training

Heart rate training

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Heart rate training

Postby Scott » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:22 am

Thinking about using a heart rate monitor, dunno how to go about it :???:

do you initially do some tests to get your 'top' rate? is that how you work out the different percentages or zones?

which is a good monitor? I read some versions you cant change the batteries yourself, sounds a bit weird.

I need a few basic pointers...... for an idiot, the stuff I read on the net sounded overly technical and put me off a bit.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: Heart rate training

Postby Cookie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:35 am

I got one of mine from here http://heartratemonitor.co.uk/

Some do have a "walking test" setting which I have on my Polar watch. Not done it myself but it all adds to your general feedback.

When you first get a watch you`ll have to input all your details, age, weight etc, & then you`ll be shown the various heart rate zones you can work in for your age etc.

TBH your getting one around the best time because of potential sales coming up to & after Christmas.

I have Polar a5 & Cardio sport monitors. Both show different things but cover the basics I need at the moment.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:35 am

Scott wrote:Thinking about using a heart rate monitor, dunno how to go about it :???:

do you initially do some tests to get your 'top' rate? is that how you work out the different percentages or zones?

which is a good monitor? I read some versions you cant change the batteries yourself, sounds a bit weird.

I need a few basic pointers...... for an idiot, the stuff I read on the net sounded overly technical and put me off a bit.

polar works best and with most machines

theres a thing called a comfortable pace test, from there you can build up to a maximal heart rate test,

whilst working up to maximum heart rate, you find (more or less) your aerobic threshold and your anaerobic threshold then through training you work to maintain 1 or other for certain distances and look to progress distances

you also check recovering heart rate too

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:37 am

dont read too much in to the punching in of age, weight etc as it is only a base average through thousands of people,,,,,,very broad spectrum

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:43 am

samurai69 wrote:dont read too much in to the punching in of age, weight etc as it is only a base average through thousands of people,,,,,,very broad spectrum

I think its a good starting point especially for those unfamiliar with using a monitor.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:16 am

This was the article I read : Basics of HR training. What d'you think about his recomendation for testing the maximal HR and working out your training zones?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote:dont read too much in to the punching in of age, weight etc as it is only a base average through thousands of people,,,,,,very broad spectrum

I think its a good starting point especially for those unfamiliar with using a monitor.

its not....its crap and way off the mark for anyone other than a few fat 50 year old smokers.............really the crappiest crapppy crap crap..........shit

did i say

its fucking CRAAP

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:33 pm

so paul do you initially figure out the training zones like that guy did in the article?
heres the basics to save you clicking:

Find max HR
Do this by warming up, then running as fast as you can evenly for three minutes (ideally on a treadmill), then resting with two or three minutes gentle running, then repeating your three minute maximal run. During your second run you should get a higher maximum heart rate than with any other method – though use your heart rate monitor to take readings throughout it, as your heart rate may peak before the end.

How To Find Your Training Zones
1.Find your maximum heart rate (see above) eg 206
2.Find your resting heart rate (laying still, soon after you wake up. Ideally take an average over a few days). eg 56
3.Subtract the resting rate from the maximum. This figure is your working heart rate. eg 206-56=150
4.Take whatever percentage of your working heart rate that you’re aiming for (eg 60% for an easy run eg 150x0.60=90), and add it to your resting heart rate eg 90+56=146. The final figure is your personal target heart rate.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:35 am

Scott wrote:so paul do you initially figure out the training zones like that guy did in the article?
heres the basics to save you clicking:

Find max HR
Do this by warming up, then running as fast as you can evenly for three minutes (ideally on a treadmill), then resting with two or three minutes gentle running, then repeating your three minute maximal run. During your second run you should get a higher maximum heart rate than with any other method – though use your heart rate monitor to take readings throughout it, as your heart rate may peak before the end.

How To Find Your Training Zones
1.Find your maximum heart rate (see above) eg 206
2.Find your resting heart rate (laying still, soon after you wake up. Ideally take an average over a few days). eg 56
3.Subtract the resting rate from the maximum. This figure is your working heart rate. eg 206-56=150
4.Take whatever percentage of your working heart rate that you’re aiming for (eg 60% for an easy run eg 150x0.60=90), and add it to your resting heart rate eg 90+56=146. The final figure is your personal target heart rate.

thats better yes....the comfortable pace test we did initially building in to a maximal heart rate test, was focussed on running which was the most accurate and also tried on bike and rower and produced slightly lower results probably because at the top end you cannt push and fail hard enough........the comfortable pace test will still show peak aerobic and anaerobic thresholds

its a little long winded, so will see where the actual document is and coppy/paste it so its exactly right........

found this http://www.yourworkout.co.uk/ft_comfortablepace.asp and this which explain it a bit http://www.yourworkout.co.uk/ft_3point.asp

and hear

http://www.fitness-etc.co.uk/what-is-my ... eart-rate/

that about summs it up.......

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:10 am

samurai69 wrote:that about summs it up.......

I'll have a read over those, thanks.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:29 am

samurai69 wrote:its not....its crap and way off the mark for anyone other than a few fat 50 year old smokers.............really the crappiest crapppy crap crap..........shit

did i say

its fucking CRAAP

I disagree :butthead:

Scott when you get your monitor just don`t be like me & try to see how high you can get the numbers :lol:

One session in particular last winter when I pushed that hard that my vision just saw white & it wasn`t because I was looking at the snow which is white but sparkles. This was just pure white. Monitors said I`d peaked at 240bpm :shock:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:49 am

Cookie wrote:One session in particular last winter when I pushed that hard that my vision just saw white & it wasn`t because I was looking at the snow which is white but sparkles. This was just pure white. Monitors said I`d peaked at 240bpm :shock:

I dont think Im as mental as you though LOL!

did you read the way the guy from the running site recommended finding your max HR and you Working HR?

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Next

Return to Training