It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:00 am
Change font size

Training

core stability

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

core stability

Postby lil john » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:33 pm

found this on uk mma
what you guys think, anything would add or take away?
was looking for a nice little circuit to help with the core and back.

1. Sledgehammers: 30 seconds
(Hold a heavy medball, kettlebell or dumbbell out in front with both hands. Squat down with a flat back, and swing the weight down between your legs and then straight up above your head as you extend your legs. You can also move the weight diagonally to make this into a Woodchop exercise.)

2. Press Ups with Feet on Swiss Ball: 30 seconds

3. Dumbbell Floor Pulls: 30 seconds
(Go into a press up position, but holding two dumbbells or small kettlebells to the floor. Keep your core rigid and row one arm up at a time. You may need to try this without added weights first.)

4. Swiss Ball Alternating Step Offs: 30 seconds
(In a press up position, with toes up on a swiss ball, legs straight. Slowly step one leg down to the floor, to the side of the ball, then bring it back up. Repeat with the other leg, while keeping your body and core rigid as possible)

5. Plank: 60 seconds

6. Push Up position Plank: up to 60 second
Hold a press up position (arms straight) for time.

i was thinking id add in some sprawls in there. more for gettin better at spraweling tbh
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: core stability

Postby samurai69 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:09 am

TheReaper wrote:found this on uk mma
what you guys think, anything would add or take away?
was looking for a nice little circuit to help with the core and back.

1. Sledgehammers: 30 seconds
(Hold a heavy medball, kettlebell or dumbbell out in front with both hands. Squat down with a flat back, and swing the weight down between your legs and then straight up above your head as you extend your legs. You can also move the weight diagonally to make this into a Woodchop exercise.)

the contact on the tyre is what makes the sledghammer slam a great exercise theres a variation done with a plate with various moves that works very well, the (traditional) dumbell swing would also be a better more dynamic core exercise

2. Press Ups with Feet on Swiss Ball: 30 seconds

do a press up then a knee tuck to further work core

3. Dumbbell Floor Pulls: 30 seconds
(Go into a press up position, but holding two dumbbells or small kettlebells to the floor. Keep your core rigid and row one arm up at a time. You may need to try this without added weights first.)

this is a renegade row........ok exercise

4. Swiss Ball Alternating Step Offs: 30 seconds
(In a press up position, with toes up on a swiss ball, legs straight. Slowly step one leg down to the floor, to the side of the ball, then bring it back up. Repeat with the other leg, while keeping your body and core rigid as possible)

TBH your core would need to be really weak for this one to be worthwhile, better would be step ups with the hands go from a plank on fitball to a pressup on fitball

5. Plank: 60 seconds

plank variations would be better, side, back front , 1 foot and do each in 1 curcuit for 10 to 20 seconds no rest

6. Push Up position Plank: up to 60 second
Hold a press up position (arms straight) for time.

this is simialr to mmany of the above exercises ............ why not work on kneeling on fitball and balances with and without hands for assistance

i was thinking id add in some sprawls in there. more for gettin better at spraweling tbh.............add in sprawls and fitball rolls for better feel of transitions as well as adding in the sprawls
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Training