It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:56 am
Change font size

Training

Starting back into training

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Starting back into training

Postby Savage » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Well just starting back into training after a 2 year break (involuntary) so was wondering what was the best way to get back into shape just go at it hammer and tongs or to ease myself back into things will prob be a three or four day gym week? Dont think my diet should be a problem, will be eggs and toast in the moring, tuna or chicken for lunch and then meat and veg for dinner with fruit thoughout the day.
And another question is what supplements would be best for me to be taking?

Cheers Jonny
Savage
Helot
Helot

Re: Starting back into training

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 am

slow and steady is best

too many people hit it hard then cant walk or move for a week then dont come back or go at it naail and tong for a few weeks then get bored and stop

Steady and Progressive

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Agree with what has been posted above.

Slow & steady even if it is just doing some simple circuits of bodyweight exercises to get the muscles & joints loosened up again ready to handle the heavier workloads that are to come.

A penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Cookie wrote:Agree with what has been posted above.

Slow & steady even if it is just doing some simple circuits of bodyweight exercises to get the muscles & joints loosened up again ready to handle the heavier workloads that are to come.

A penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You guys said it, no need to cripple yourself.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Savage » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:50 pm

cheers guys take it easy it is. What about supplements and so on what would be best to start out on, and is cod liver oil good stuff or is it all a load of hot air??
Savage
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Savage wrote:cheers guys take it easy it is. What about supplements and so on what would be best to start out on, and is cod liver oil good stuff or is it all a load of hot air??

Cod liver oil is okay in small doses & if it is protected from light & heat. I use omega 3`s & a multi vitamin/mineral supplement twice to thrice per week.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Savage » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Cookie wrote:
Savage wrote:cheers guys take it easy it is. What about supplements and so on what would be best to start out on, and is cod liver oil good stuff or is it all a load of hot air??

Cod liver oil is okay in small doses & if it is protected from light & heat. I use omega 3`s & a multi vitamin/mineral supplement twice to thrice per week.

cheers man went into holland and barret on my break this evening and got the low down on them so got a tub and gona see whats happening. so after a week of light weights and streching have to get myself a routine sorted for next week. One other question are shoulder shrugs good for you? used to do them along with miltiary press and got good results but have heard they aint good for you any truth in this?
Savage
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 am

Savage wrote:cheers man went into holland and barret on my break this evening and got the low down on them so got a tub and gona see whats happening.

These are really good price wise for basic supplements. H&B`s are okay if things are in the sale but a lot of their stuff is way overpriced. Keep your fish oils refrigerated or they`ll go off.

http://www.zipvit.co.uk/

Savage wrote:so after a week of light weights and streching have to get myself a routine sorted for next week. One other question are shoulder shrugs good for you? used to do them along with miltiary press and got good results but have heard they aint good for you any truth in this?

I would suggest at least a month or breaking back into things with the bodyweight exercises & 30-40 minutes of jogging at a steady pace twice per week. Then you can move onto some heavier stuff.

Never had any issues with shoulder shrugs or military presses. I think some have issues with the "rolling" of the shoulders when doing shrugs which is what causes the arguments on forums about their effectiveness. Speak from my own experiences I never had any problems shrugging up to my ears or doing a rolling action. These days my traps get most of their work done with dead-lifts & some form of cleans.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Savage » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Cookie wrote:
Savage wrote:cheers man went into holland and barret on my break this evening and got the low down on them so got a tub and gona see whats happening.

These are really good price wise for basic supplements. H&B`s are okay if things are in the sale but a lot of their stuff is way overpriced. Keep your fish oils refrigerated or they`ll go off.

http://www.zipvit.co.uk/

Savage wrote:so after a week of light weights and streching have to get myself a routine sorted for next week. One other question are shoulder shrugs good for you? used to do them along with miltiary press and got good results but have heard they aint good for you any truth in this?[/quote

I would suggest at least a month or breaking back into things with the bodyweight exercises & 30-40 minutes of jogging at a steady pace twice per week. Then you can move onto some heavier stuff.

Never had any issues with shoulder shrugs or military presses. I think some have issues with the "rolling" of the shoulders when doing shrugs which is what causes the arguments on forums about their effectiveness. Speak from my own experiences I never had any problems shrugging up to my ears or doing a rolling action. These days my traps get most of their work done with dead-lifts & some form of cleans.

Yeah got two tubs for around a fiver. Yeah I have always keep at the bodyweight stuff during my time away from the gym doing planks, chair dips and pushups twice a week or so. So sat down and worked out a routine working on different parts on different days and some cardio worked in as well, it wont be anything strenuous mainly to get my technique and form down. Along with plenty of streching. Then will move onto a more concentrated routine.
Savage
Helot
Helot

Postby Savage » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Well have enrolled myself into a mma begginners course to learn new stuff done some judo a long time ago and all i can remember from that is how to break your fall, but looking forward to it and hopfully get a good workout all round.
Any tips from boys who do mma already?
Savage
Helot
Helot

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Savage wrote:Well have enrolled myself into a mma begginners course to learn new stuff done some judo a long time ago and all i can remember from that is how to break your fall, but looking forward to it and hopfully get a good workout all round.

I float between judo and mma myself. I found that as soon as the mma stuff went to the floor I had a real edge that wasnt there when standing up. If all you remember is breakfalls though that will still be handy. I use to laugh in the beginners MMA class because you ALWAYS knew when a guy from judo was on the mat coz we were about the only guys using breakfalls when we got put on our ass :grin: the noise was a dead giveaway!
The only tip I can think of is get a rashguard. I couldnt beleive how much sweat my gi absorbs until I trained mma in a t-shirt =;

the mma will be a blast though, good luck with it.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Savage » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Scott wrote:
Savage wrote:Well have enrolled myself into a mma begginners course to learn new stuff done some judo a long time ago and all i can remember from that is how to break your fall, but looking forward to it and hopfully get a good workout all round.

I float between judo and mma myself. I found that as soon as the mma stuff went to the floor I had a real edge that wasnt there when standing up. If all you remember is breakfalls though that will still be handy. I use to laugh in the beginners MMA class because you ALWAYS knew when a guy from judo was on the mat coz we were about the only guys using breakfalls when we got put on our ass :grin: the noise was a dead giveaway!
The only tip I can think of is get a rashguard. I couldnt beleive how much sweat my gi absorbs until I trained mma in a t-shirt =;

the mma will be a blast though, good luck with it.

Cheers scott, i had it tonight and i thought i had a good base level of fittness god was i wrong but i really enjoyed it learned so much in one night cant wait to next week just need to ajust my general gym work to suit the rigers of training so looking to gain some muslce and get fit as hell high intensity training here i come.
Savage
Helot
Helot

Next

Return to Training