It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:55 am
Change font size

Training

Static Stretching

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Static Stretching

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:31 pm

As most know static stretching post workout is pretty much a necessity.
Personally I use a simplified yoga routine which optimally takes about 25-30 minutes to complete.
I feel that ideally holds should be held in the 30-45 sec range.
However, as we know time can be a factor and I was just wondering how everyone handles, or feels it should be handled, a post workout static stretching routine that needs to be abbreviated.

Do you feel that it is better to keep the number of individual stretches the same and cut the holds down to 10-15 seconds?

Or do you feel it is better to keep the holds in the 30-45 sec range and reduce the volume of individual stretches?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: Static Stretching

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:34 pm

i would stick to the main muscle groups and also simplify the stretches (which can become quite complex) and then do two runs through with a shorter hold of 15 to 20 seconds on each ............ well it works for me
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:30 am

Used various types of stretching programs over the years, some good some bad yet one thing always stuck with me when I was seeing a podiatrist who said not to do passive/static stretching because it did not allow enough blood flow through to clear & repair because the stretches are being held for too long. And this was repeated by another guy in a program I watched once.

Yet I do still passive/static stretch because it does benefit me but I mostly do it as active recovery not after training.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Cookie wrote:Used various types of stretching programs over the years, some good some bad yet one thing always stuck with me when I was seeing a podiatrist who said not to do passive/static stretching because it did not allow enough blood flow through to clear & repair because the stretches are being held for too long. And this was repeated by another guy in a program I watched once.

First I heard of that, not sure I agree but I would have to research it further. I could possibly see the blood flow impeded during the stretch, but immediately after I would think it would flood the area?

Cookie wrote:Yet I do still passive/static stretch because it does benefit me but I mostly do it as active recovery not after training.

Gotcha, utilizing both seems to work best for me. Perhaps I will experiment with a shorter version on training days and see how Samurai's suggestion works and the longer version on recovery days.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:First I heard of that, not sure I agree but I would have to research it further. I could possibly see the blood flow impeded during the stretch, but immediately after I would think it would flood the area?

I use AIS stretching, which was recommended by my podiatrist, & have used it on & off for a good 5 years because of what was said about blood flow & the short contractions allowing greater blood flow in to repair the micro trauma from stretching.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby westy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:12 pm

I personally prefer to do less muscles for the correct amount of time if I am short.

Currently I just do glutes,hip flexors, hamstrings, adductors and calfs.

I also foam roll before I stretch as I find this helps a lot, especially if it is straight before a stretch.
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:40 pm

westy wrote:I personally prefer to do less muscles for the correct amount of time if I am short.

I also foam roll before I stretch as I find this helps a lot, especially if it is straight before a stretch.

So many people could benefit from that one simple thing.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Cookie wrote:
westy wrote:I personally prefer to do less muscles for the correct amount of time if I am short.

So many people could benefit from that one simple thing.

I have to admit I was a little surprised by the results. I really did not put much credit to it at first. I tend to roll well after stretching and right before bed, or if I have a particular issue than needs attention.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby westy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:29 am

Yeah it has been one thing that has had the most immediate impact on how I feel
westy
Helot
Helot

Return to Training