It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:47 am
Change font size

Training

Importance of the weight in MMA

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Importance of the weight in MMA

Postby HAIL PAYASO » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey guys. Happy new year for everyone :rock: :partyman: :vom:

I have a question... Im trying to find on the internet but fail geting something usefull. How important its the weight of a fighter in mma? I mean, i see everyone tryng to lose all the weight they can. As for me, well, i can do both 77kg or 84kg, but i think its the same. The only diference in 84 its they are a tiny bigger... But i mean, how u really chose ur weight class? For those guys trying hard to get minimun weight...is there some kind of advantage?

I just dont understand...if i weight 77k, my opponent will weight the same, if i go to 84, the same thing happen, so i dont know if there are something behind all that, some kind of advantage, maybe psycological or something.

Anyone have some ideas? Or the reason of this?
HAIL PAYASO
Helot
Helot

Re: Importance of the weight in MMA

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:32 pm

The idea being that you cut water weight, quite quicky for the weigh in and by the time of the fight you are heavier than your opponent. Some will see that as a big advantage in a contest between two 'evenly' match guys. Thiago Silva can walk around at 200lbs yet weigh in (when he makes weight!) at 185lbs but I bet by the time he fights the following night he's closer again to 200lbs than 185!

You could argue against it though, some do.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 am

Scott wrote:The idea being that you cut water weight, quite quicky for the weigh in and by the time of the fight you are heavier than your opponent. Some will see that as a big advantage in a contest between two 'evenly' match guys. Thiago Silva can walk around at 200lbs yet weigh in (when he makes weight!) at 185lbs but I bet by the time he fights the following night he's closer again to 200lbs than 185!

You could argue against it though, some do.

what scott says is quite right, and it can fall flat as the dieting/sweating down can completely exhaust the body........if you can make weight easily then its not such a drain on yourbody and you shouldnt lose speed or power, but if you have to fight hard to make the weight even the day after, though you are back to normal fighting weight you can feel slow, heavy and sluggish

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby HAIL PAYASO » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:50 pm

I guess im going to stay in the 84 limit for now, since im amateur and my weight in are like 1 hour before the combat, so its not like im going to use that advantage. If i get a weight in one day before a match, i will drop to 77. Oh whatever, i want to break whatever the guys they put in front of me hahahaha xDD

Thanks for the info guys.
HAIL PAYASO
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Aim to be at the top end of your weight class with as low a body fat percentage as possible. That way your all muscle ;-)
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby westy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:09 pm

I remember reading that Joe Calzaghe (spelling?) used to maintain a pretty consistent weight and only drop a few pounds before a fight.

Much like the other guys said it makes sense to me that maintaining a lean bodyweight is the simpler option.
westy
Helot
Helot

Postby HAIL PAYASO » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks for the help >=)
HAIL PAYASO
Helot
Helot

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:50 pm

It is all about finding that balance between power/speed/stamina. If you are doing weigh in's the same day as the fight then I would not do anything harsh to get to the lower weight level. It really effects your performance negatively dropping a whole lot of weight. However, if you are lucky enough to have weigh in's a day or two before the fight like some major organizations then it is worth dropping ten, fifteen pounds to get to the lighter class as long as you have a rock solid plan to re-hydrate and get your body into balance again, which is a lot easier said than done.

I always preferred going in at fight weight and not dropping 10+ lbs the day or day before a match. I never could get the stamina back after dropping that much weight and always seemed to get injured.

Of course you need to scout your possible opposition too and possibly let that factor into your decision.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Savage » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 pm

i just need to drop a shat lot of weight to get into the class i want to be in lol no quick cutting for me
Savage
Helot
Helot

Return to Training