It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:51 am
Change font size

Training

Sleep

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Sleep

Postby Cookie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:10 pm

I`ll put this in here because:

a) we don`t have a "health" section :lol:

b) it does affect our ability to train.

Loosing sleep
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Sleep

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:53 pm

I can always tell the difference when I get a good sleep and when I get a not so good sleep.
Having worked midnights for five years straight and then odd shifts I can certainly contribute to this thread.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby steve1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 am

my missus can always tell the difference when I get a good sleep and a not so good sleep lol funny thing is I'm always the last to realize
my son is fast approaching 5 months old and starting to teeth so i know quite a bit about the lack of sleep at the moment or rather interrupted sleep
steve1
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:I can always tell the difference when I get a good sleep and when I get a not so good sleep.

On the occasions that I do sleep deeply & uninterrupted I wake feeling a completely different person with so much mental clarity its unreal.

Having worked midnights for five years straight and then odd shifts I can certainly contribute to this thread.

Shifts are bad. Done them myself.

steve1 wrote:my son is fast approaching 5 months old and starting to teeth so i know quite a bit about the lack of sleep at the moment or rather interrupted sleep

Good luck with that, I had a number of years of disturbed sleep when the first kid came along :shock:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Melas Zomos' sleeping tip #1

One of the best things I found to help is ear plugs.
The ones to get are a combination of beeswax, cotton & lanolin. By far they are the best for sleeping and for swimming.
Unlike the sponge ones, which are cheaper and that is the only advantage over the others, they do not seem to promote ear wax build up, irritation, or fall out :supz: .
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Not a fan of earplugs unless extreme measures are required. Wore them for years because of the industry I used to be in.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Cookie wrote:Not a fan of earplugs unless extreme measures are required. Wore them for years because of the industry I used to be in.

that is funny because I wore them for years and had to keep wearing them :shock:

I also got used to sleeping with them when I worked midnights as my property backs up to a semi busy road and I used that in conjunction with a fan (white noise) to mute it out. Damn rice mobiles and harleys!
Still sleep with a fan running and earplugs to this day.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 am

Melas Zomos wrote:
Cookie wrote:Not a fan of earplugs unless extreme measures are required. Wore them for years because of the industry I used to be in.

that is funny because I wore them for years and had to keep wearing them :shock:

I also got used to sleeping with them when I worked midnights as my property backs up to a semi busy road and I used that in conjunction with a fan (white noise) to mute it out. Damn rice mobiles and harleys!
Still sleep with a fan running and earplugs to this day.

we do the fan thing........white noise (pink and gray noise too) really helps, in portugal during the winter we had a cd that played "fan" white noise then the fan during the summer......now we just sleep with the fan on all the time

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:15 pm

samurai69 wrote:we do the fan thing........white noise (pink and gray noise too) really helps, in portugal during the winter we had a cd that played "fan" white noise then the fan during the summer......now we just sleep with the fan on all the time.

Never heard of pink and gray noise, that is a new one to me. You pulling the wool over my eyes? :mrgreen:
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:12 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise

ink noise or 1/ƒ noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density is inversely proportional to the frequency. In pink noise, each octave carries an equal amount of noise power. The name arises from being intermediate between white noise (1/ƒ0) and red noise (1/ƒ2) which is commonly known as Brownian noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_noise

Grey noise is random noise subjected to a psychoacoustic equal loudness curve (such as an inverted A-weighting curve) over a given range of frequencies, giving the listener the perception that it is equally loud at all frequencies.

This is in contrast to white noise, noise which is in fact equally loud at all frequencies but not perceived as such due to psychoacoustics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise

While noise is by definition derived from a random signal, it can have different characteristic statistical properties corresponding to different mappings from a source of randomness to the concrete noise. Spectral density (power distribution in the frequency spectrum) is such a property, which can be used to distinguish different types of noise. This classification by spectral density is given "color" terminology, with different types named after different colors, and is common in different disciplines where noise is an important factor (like acoustics, electrical engineering, and physics). However, different fields may use the terminology with different degrees of specificity.
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks, now I am wiser.

What are you using for the pink and grey noise. The fan is white, do you need a cd for the others?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:48 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Thanks, now I am wiser.

What are you using for the pink and grey noise. The fan is white, do you need a cd for the others?

i down loaded the cds for the others, TBH the white is best for sleep

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Next

Return to Training