It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:51 pm
Change font size

Training

Safety Squat Bar

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Safety Squat Bar

Postby SpageHopkins » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Safety Squats

There's a training device called the "Safety Squat Bar™" (sometimes called the "Hatfield Bar") which can give you a new lease on effective off-season squat training. Some of you may have seen it collecting dust in the back of the squat platform. Pick it up! Put it on the rack and use it!

The exquisite isolation the Safety Squat Bar™ provides for your quads will be a truly unique experience, I assure you. Let's go over the good points of the Safety Squat Bar™ one by one.

Your hands are not holding the bar. This allows you to grasp the handles on the power rack. Because of the heavy loads involved in squatting, there is a tendency to "round" your back and place unnecessary stress on those easily displaceable intervertebral discs. This is avoided by exerting pressure against the power rack handles and thus maintaining a perfectly straight back throughout the entire squatting motion. Using your hands to spot yourself prevents you from falling forward or backward.

Squatting with a straight bar, you're forced to use a load that you can handle in the weakest position. This results in using an inadequate amount of weight in the strongest position of the squatting motion.

This problem is solved by use of the hands in the Safety Squat Bar™. When the "sticking point" is reached, the hands can be used to help you through it. This unique feature allows you to work with heavier weights in the ranges of movement where you are strongest and gives you help when you are weakest. You are exerting closer to your maximum effort through the entire range of motion.

The padded yolk that the Safety Squat Bar™ is equipped with effectively eliminates neck and shoulder girdle discomfort. And the fact that you needn't use your hands to hold the bar on your shoulders eliminates wrist, shoulder and elbow discomfort.

By using your hands to regulate body position, your posture under the bar can be adapted to suit your own anatomical peculiarities so that you can literally "tailor" your squatting style to afford maximum overload.

Conventional squatting places the weight behind you, fully four inches behind your body's midline. That caused you to lean or bend forward for balance. With the Safety Squat Bar, the weight is distributed directly in line with your body's midline, and completely eliminates the need to lean forward.
"...to me the object is not to beat someone, but merely to live up to your potential"
SpageHopkins
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Re: Safety Squat Bar

Postby samurai69 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:31 pm

going to check out the few places in uk that do these bars and see best price
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:22 am

Never used one.

Looks like it could be fun.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 pm

I have one, or should have said had one. I lent it to one of my friends years ago and it has not found its way home. :evil:
They are a cool tool, but the main downside is they can be a little are cumbersome to store. For some reason no matter how or where you store it, it seems to get in the way. :shock:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 am

Melas Zomos wrote:I have one, or should have said had one. I lent it to one of my friends years ago and it has not found its way home. :evil:
They are a cool tool, but the main downside is they can be a little are cumbersome to store. For some reason no matter how or where you store it, it seems to get in the way. :shock:

i have space at the gym

i manage to store my trap bar ok and thats larger

.plenty of wall space too, to hang any amount of bars...........looking for a swiss bar too
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:10 pm

samurai69 wrote:looking for a swiss bar too

Why not go for a buffalo bar & then you have the full set :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote:looking for a swiss bar too

Why not go for a buffalo bar & then you have the full set :lol:

swiis bar and football bar both on ebay..........now just need a client or two to sign up and pay via paypal and will be cool

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:17 pm

samurai69 wrote:swiis bar and football bar both on ebay..........now just need a client or two to sign up and pay via paypal and will be cool

Was not sure what a swiss bar was. Had to look :lol:

Very similar to the French press bar.

Couldn`t find the football bar.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote:swiis bar and football bar both on ebay..........now just need a client or two to sign up and pay via paypal and will be cool

swiss bar is like a wide tricep bar with more handles, soccer bar has handles at angles

/

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Cookie wrote:

Yeah, I had to look too. I have used one (swiss bar), but never knew they were named such. No one really called it anything come to think about it :-k
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:41 pm

squat bar from strength shop £225 plus delivery
191909_200099080024445_111275968906757_608996_2555598_o.jpg
191909_200099080024445_111275968906757_608996_2555598_o.jpg (540.36 KiB) Viewed 4044 times

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Looks good.

There was a kid on Ninja warrior today using one of those with about 6 plates a side on it. Kid was 16 :shock:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Training