It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:30 am
Change font size

Training

Training routine

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Training routine

Postby breaks316 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and have found it to be really good.
I'm currently focusing on cardio using the gymboss interval timer. I'm currently doing 20 minutes of 20 seconds on 10 seconds off 3 times per week followed by clean and press for 3 sets of 8 reps with fat grips on monday.
intervals again on wednesday with press-up and inverted row ladders
intervals once more on friday with dips and chin ups and then saturday is deadlift and military press,
5 x 1 and 5 x 3.
I'm trying to focus more on conditioning and fatloss and i really hate splitting the body up into parts. I would add in more direct leg work but i have an ACL injury that is being operated on real soon and can't directly squat.
Diet wise. i've been on the warrior diet since last september and have had great results with intermittent fasting.
Any help on tweaking this routine would be much appreciated.
Cheers
breaks316
Helot
Helot

Re: Training routine

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi breaks316

Does the ACL injury allow you to comfortably do any jogging/road work?

I think the 20 on 10 off tabata protocol for 20 minutes is excessive.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby breaks316 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi cookie.
Can't do any roadwork as the concrete does aggrevate it. The teadmil is the only cardio machine that doesn't. I cycle to and from work 6 days a week which is why i don't do any steady state cardio as i'm logging 6 miles total per day.
How long would you recommend on the tabatas then?
Thanks for the fast reply.
Cheers :grin:
breaks316
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:59 pm

I would suggest, if possible, using the bike for the bulk of your cardiovascular work seeing as it does not seem to aggravate your knee. I had to do something similar earlier this year when I was suffering a calf strain & could not run. Do 30-45 minutes solid twice per week keeping your heart rate down to a level where you can comfortably hold a conversation without sounding out of breath. On two other days I would do your weight work based on the basics you`ve been following with the cleans, deadlifts & a pressing movement.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby breaks316 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks a lot cookie, all your advice is much appreciated
breaks316
Helot
Helot

Postby samurai69 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:43 am

breaks316 wrote:Hi cookie.
Can't do any roadwork as the concrete does aggrevate it. The teadmil is the only cardio machine that doesn't. I cycle to and from work 6 days a week which is why i don't do any steady state cardio as i'm logging 6 miles total per day.
How long would you recommend on the tabatas then?
Thanks for the fast reply.

Hi, 6 miles per day is not a massive amount of cardio, maybe 20 minutes total ata comfortable ish pace (unles you live in theAlps)

i would look at Tabatas of around 8 to 10 minutes then add in your weights in the form of a complex or two

something like that

though i am not sure of your goals etc

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby wilkes2011 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:28 pm

You should look into if your gym has a rowing machine(like rowing a boat). You get the same cardio workout as if you were to run/jog, but without the high impact on the legs. Also strongly recomend sprints in the shallow(waist deep) end of a pool. I used this when I partially tore my IT band and I am actually much faster now using that and only doing true running once or twice a week for no more than a mile
Sine Metu
wilkes2011
Helot
Helot

Return to Training