It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:11 pm
Change font size

Training

Ice Baths

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Ice Baths

Postby Scott » Fri May 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Ice Baths :

* Seems to have no beneficial effect on the structural damage done to the muscle
* Has no effect on perceived soreness (how sore you think you feel) if the athlete is untrained or not used to the exercise that has caused the soreness
* Has a positive effect on perceived soreness if the athlete is highly trained and/or used to the exercise that has caused the soreness
* May reduce strength for at least an hour afterward

Interesting article on the subject from elite fts. Its short! worth a reading :grin:
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: Ice Baths

Postby Cookie » Sat May 21, 2011 4:31 pm

I`m 50/50 on them.

Unsure if I found anything substantial in recovery when I used them regularly other than hating them.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 am

Something else I have recently noticed is getting more out of hot baths after training than I did the ice baths.

When people use plunge pools is the water as cold as an ice bath or set at a specific temperature?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:22 am

Cookie wrote:Something else I have recently noticed is getting more out of hot baths after training than I did the ice baths.

When people use plunge pools is the water as cold as an ice bath or set at a specific temperature?

its not regulated, but should be close to ice bath

one i remember had slush for first 6 or so inches.........fucking cold, jumped in and the shock after sauna made me jump back out so quick..................must have looked funny

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 pm

Just buy a couple of bags of ice and throw them in a large trashcan filled with water.
While I do not use them regularly, they do work wonders for recuperation. And yes they are brutal. Discovered the magic of these accidently while surfing.
They are supposed to be particularly good at raising t-levels too.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed May 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Just buy a couple of bags of ice and throw them in a large trashcan filled with water.
While I do not use them regularly, they do work wonders for recuperation. And yes they are brutal. Discovered the magic of these accidently while surfing.
They are supposed to be particularly good at raising t-levels too.

Too tight to BUY ice. :finga:

I found cold baths good for joint issues, hot baths best for muscular ones.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Wed May 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:they do work wonders for recuperation.

Thats not what the article suggests.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Wed May 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Scott wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:they do work wonders for recuperation.

Thats not what the article suggests.

I`m going to have to dig out a sports newsletter I get which did some work on "cryotherapy" & see which studies they used.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:46 am

but general cryotherapy and ice baths are diferent

hot/cold is good

cold in trained athletes is good if they have experianced it before

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu May 26, 2011 3:17 pm

samurai69 wrote:but general cryotherapy and ice baths are diferent

hot/cold is good

Need to find the newsletter to refresh my memory.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri May 27, 2011 4:35 am

samurai69 wrote:but general cryotherapy and ice baths are diferent

hot/cold is good

The article I read refereed to the use of ice as cryotherapy. Anyway found this http://www.cet-cryotherapy.com/ & have never heard of the use of cold baths with heavily salted water before. Salted water with hot baths yes, cold no.

When I was regularly using the cold baths apart from hating the shock from the cold I noticed an increase in URTI`s / colds. BUT I cannot be 100% sure if it was purely down to this or a combination of factors elsewhere. I will say that after 5-10 minutes in the cold water it would take me ages to warm back up again. Even when I was well wrapped up in warm clothing.

A lot of the old physical culture followers used to recommend daily morning cold baths to stimulate the body & mind.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon May 30, 2011 3:15 am

I have experience with salt/ice baths so to speak with off season surfing. It does wonders for rejuvenation, however it does take forever to warm up and few to get the bladder back to normal :mrgreen:
Of course you got shrinkage to deal with too :mrgreen:

Really have not tried it outside of surfing though, but I do know nothing beats the ocean. Just too lazy to fill up a trashcan and have at it. Once of these days I will get my act together
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Next

Return to Training