It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:38 am
Change font size

Training

great article on squatting from Andy Bolton

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 am

http://www.andyboltonstrength.org/how-t ... ampion.htm

see web site for full article

The Raw Squat

What Should You Wear When Squatting?

Any comfortable sports clothing will do just fine, so long as it isn’t restrictive.

The one area that does warrant some thought is footwear. The best options are dedicated Squat shoes like I wear from Inzer (different options are available from other Powerlifting companies). These Squat shoes are flat-soled and offer good ankle support. They are pricey but last a long time. A cheaper option, that still offers a flat sole, are Converse trainers. Just beware that they are not as durable and don’t offer the same level of ankle support.

Whatever you wear on your feet, just be sure it is not those awful trainers with air-bubbles. Not only are they over-priced, they are also incredibly un-stable and will rob you of pounds on the bar and invite injury to the knees and ankles.

You can also wear a WEIGHTLIFTING BELT, wrist wraps and knee wraps when Squatting Raw. Whether you do or not is up to you and here are some things to think about:

The Belt will increase pressure and the feeling of tightness in your core and should allow you to Squat more. I usually belt up and have my athletes belt up from around 40% of our max…

…powerlifting belts come in 10mm or 13mm thicknesses, with the former requiring less time to break in and feel comfortable to wear and the latter offering more support. Take your pick. Both options are good and a quality belt from a company like Inzer should last you a lifetime. For ease of use choose the single prong style and avoid their double prong cousins like the plague

Wrist wraps offer support and protection for the wrists

Knee wraps offer rebound out of the hole and help you to Squat more weight. Some lifters get way more carry-over than others from knee wraps. (If you compete in a Raw federation that doesn’t allow knee wraps it should go without saying that you shouldn’t use them in your training). Some people also think that the wraps offer some protection for the knee and help to keep your knees tracking your toes when you Squat. If you do not wear knee wraps, a snug fitting pair of knee sleeves are a good alternative

If you are an athlete you may want to Squat without a belt, wrist wraps or knee wraps because you can’t wear those items when competing in your sport and therefore you want to get your body strong without them. It’s your decision to make

The Raw Squat Set-Up

This is the most important part of your Squat. If you get it wrong, nothing else will flow correctly. However, if you get it right, you will be rewarded with the foundation for a good Squat.

Ed Coan, the greatest pound for pound Powerlifter of all-time, used to spend a long time just getting under the bar and finding exactly the right point to have the bar on this back. His results speak for themselves. It’s well worth watching a few videos on YouTube of Coan setting up and Squatting; there’s much to be learnt from him.
Here’s how to set up correctly:

The bar should be set up in a power rack (or on squat stands) at your chest height. If you have the bar too high you will have to do a calf raise to get it out of the racks and if you have it too low you will have to do a quarter Squat to get the bar out of the rack. Both scenarios are inefficient and will lessen the quality of your set-up.

Using a full grip (not a thumb-less one) put your hands on the bar. Use the power rings to make sure your grip is even.

Next, position your feet directly under the bar and set them hip-width apart.

Now squeeze your shoulders back and down, force your chest out and get your upper back really tight, then duck your head under the bar and place the bar across your shoulders (finding the right position for you will take some experimentation)

Keeping your lower back arched and your chest out, drive your head back into the bar and take a deep breath of air into your belly.

Un-rack the bar by arching it out of the rack and then taking a small step back with your left foot, then doing the same with your right foot. (Walking the bar out any further than a few inches from the rack is simply a waste of energy and time).

Your feet should be around shoulder width apart and your toes turned out 10 to 40 degrees. You are now set up and ready to Squat. Finding your optimal stance width will take some trial and error. Do not be afraid to experiment.
The Descent (Eccentric Motion)

To begin the descent take another DEEP BREATH into your belly, push the knees out to the sides and sit back. Go down until the crease of your hip is just below the top of your knee (when viewed from the side).

When you are ‘in the hole’, here’s how your Raw squat should look:

Your shins should be close to vertical

Your knees should be tracking your toes

Your lower back should be tightly arched

Your upper back should be tight, with the shoulders pulled back and down and the chest forced out

Your head should be driven back into the bar and you should be looking straight ahead or slightly up

The Driving Phase (Concentric Motion)

As soon as you hit depth, reverse the motion by driving with all the strength that you can summon. Now is the time to be very aggressive. Your goal is to generate as much tension and force as you possibly can and unleash it all on the bar that is trying to crush you. Do this on every rep of every set, regardless of whether you are using 40% or 95% of your max.

(Note: Do not accelerate loads of less than 40% as fast as possible because there is a risk of hyper-extending your joints if you do).

Be sure to keep your upper back tight and carry on looking forwards. If you look down and lose the tightness in your upper back, there is a chance that you will lose the weight forwards and you could even have it roll over your head. I’ve seen this happen and it’s not cool! Especially with a new personal best on the bar.

A very important point is to hold your breath until you have locked the bar out; or at least until you are past your sticking point.

Once you have successfully driven the bar back to the start position, either take in some more air and perform another rep; or rack the bar. Do not be sloppy when racking the bar; stay tight and do not relax until the bar is safely resting in the power rack or squat stands.

You must keep your core tight throughout. It is this tension in your core that stops your spine buckling under heavy loads. In fact, rule number 1 of training for strength is learning to generate total body tension. Be sure to practise this on every rep of every set. It will keep you safe and make you strong.
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Re: great article on squatting from Andy Bolton

Postby Cookie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am

Good points there.

I need to work on pulling the shoulder blades back & down properly & keeping my elbows tucked under & not letting then gravitate back when I get near the end of a set.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: great article on squatting from Andy Bolton

Postby samurai69 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 am

Cookie wrote:Good points there.

I need to work on pulling the shoulder blades back & down properly & keeping my elbows tucked under & not letting then gravitate back when I get near the end of a set.

same with deadlifting...................to a point,hopefully a good article on deadlifts is around too

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Training