It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 3:43 am
Change font size

Training

morning core and stretching

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

morning core and stretching

Postby lil john » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:45 pm

after some advice about doing some core work and stretching in the morning first thing.
ive always been wary as body is cold and not moved all night, but would be ideal to get some in as my flexibility is awful and my core is weak after not training for a while.

any advice on what to do for flexibility and core work and doing it first thing in a morning?

cheers
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: morning core and stretching

Postby samurai69 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:15 am

start steadily and mobilise joints first then look at active stretching where you are using the antagonist muscle aginst the othet
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Nothing wrong with exercising first thing in a morning. It helps to wake up the nervous system. As S69 points out, you'll need to start off very gently with the stretching & some simple push-ups, squats, walking lunges & sit ups will help a great deal in getting your heart rate slightly elevated & blood pumping through the body & core body temperature warmed up before you do your stretching.

I have this bookwhich is fantastic for giving you a wide variety of stretches in an easy to understand pictures. If you look through ebay & Amazon you can find it much cheaper than it is in that link.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:31 pm

John could I also suggest this thread as a great way to gently start back into general conditioning.

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=5370

It doesn't have to be run, you can walk in between if you tire. The main aim of it is to get up, get out & get fitter all within the space of a month.

Have a think about it :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:02 pm

as much as i despise running, 25 mins isnt to bad. could get my fitness and conditioning up after a month of it nicely
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Training