It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am
Change font size

Training

Natural Movement

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Natural Movement

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:16 pm

I'm sure I'd posted on here about this before when the forum first started up.

Anyway, I really like the way the guys move so fluently.

http://www.ginasticanatural.com/

Seen similar stuff over the past few years but this one seems to be the granddaddy of them all.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Natural Movement

Postby Melas Zomos » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:02 am

While I gymnastica is not my school of choice for natural based movements, I am all for this type of training and really hoping to dedicate more training time in the near future for this type of training.

For some reason I find this type of training extremely hard, especially mentally, more so than squatting heavyweights or anything else in the weight room. I really exposes weakness throughout the body, and for me the table movements are just brutal. I would rather do 100yd sprints than 5 min of tables.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:While I gymnastica is not my school of choice for natural based movements, I am all for this type of training and really hoping to dedicate more training time in the near future for this type of training.

There all the same I've found. You basically do things you did without thinking as a kid & then stopped doing because you thought you were grown up & those things were for kids. The thing about having a "system" is that you feel your working your way towards something with each new movement or level of difficulty. A lot of traditional martial arts have these types of movements ingrained into them. Once saw some of the Gracies doing a beech workout of "natural movements" & the guy was moving on a sixpence with so little effort you would have thought he was sat on a spinning disc to reduce friction :lol:

and for me the table movements are just brutal. I would rather do 100yd sprints than 5 min of tables.

I would say your either not sprinting hard enough or doing the tables wrong. :grin:

End of the day, looking back, I wished I'd continued doing a lot of stuff I did back then. Life would be a lot smoother & less creaky now.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Cookie wrote:I would say your either not sprinting hard enough or doing the tables wrong. :grin:

Yeah, well I can definitely say yes to the first.
The Table exposes my weaknesses in the core(back) so blatantly it is not funny. You should see the progression through the week. The day after a chiro adjustment, I can't even get halfway to parallel without my hams/hips locking up. Each day it slowly creeps towards parallel, thanks to mobility work.

Cookie wrote:End of the day, looking back, I wished I'd continued doing a lot of stuff I did back then. Life would be a lot smoother & less creaky now.

Not to late to take it back you know, it is just far more painful to get back to that point.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:The Table exposes my weaknesses in the core(back) so blatantly it is not funny. You should see the progression through the week. The day after a chiro adjustment, I can't even get halfway to parallel without my hams/hips locking up. Each day it slowly creeps towards parallel, thanks to mobility work.

To me that all reads like the chicken & the egg.

Chiro re sets back & you can't hit full position until further into the week. If it was me training you I would be expecting that to happen over weeks not days irrespective of mobility work because its quite clearly showing, to me, that after the treatment everything is where it should be both ROM & muscular strength wise. Yet a few days later your up to full position yet still saying you've got substantial weaknesses in that region.

I think your robbing Peter to pay Paul & using muscles you shouldn't be to achieve full position in that movement & maybe others.

Since I dumped 99% of my core work & just followed what the Physiotherapist prescribed I've made more gains in mobility, balance, neuro-feedback & strength than the previous 2 years with no planks, side planks or tables in sight. Other when I slip a few in myself :lol:

I know you've spent a considerable amount of time with your chiro & other stuff because of your accident & the sports you do. But it does come across to me that a trip to a Physiotherapist for some biomechanical testing (or what my physio calls an MOT) to get a bigger picture of what's going on would be money worth spent in the long term.

Not to late to take it back you know, it is just far more painful to get back to that point.

Painful yes. And some days when things pop in my leg/hip during stretches & the tendons start to twitch, move around & generally give off signals of disapproval as they go back into areas they have not seen in a decade. With sweat running down my forehead & a face like its seen a ghost I do wonder if its all worth the effort.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Cookie wrote:To me that all reads like the chicken & the egg.

Chiro re sets back & you can't hit full position until further into the week. If it was me training you I would be expecting that to happen over weeks not days irrespective of mobility work because its quite clearly showing, to me, that after the treatment everything is where it should be both ROM & muscular strength wise. Yet a few days later your up to full position yet still saying you've got substantial weaknesses in that region.

Personally, I believe it is a result of muscular fatigue from the manipulation, but you made a good point and I will certainly keep that in mind as I believe you may be right on a few points.

Cookie wrote:I think your robbing Peter to pay Paul & using muscles you shouldn't be to achieve full position in that movement & maybe others.

More than likely. That is just the way it goes with all the wear and tear on this frame.

Cookie wrote:Since I dumped 99% of my core work & just followed what the Physiotherapist prescribed I've made more gains in mobility, balance, neuro-feedback & strength than the previous 2 years with no planks, side planks or tables in sight. Other when I slip a few in myself :lol:

Not willing to abandon core work, in fact I intend to increase it. However, I will retain your point in the sub-conscience in case I am wrong.

Cookie wrote:I know you've spent a considerable amount of time with your chiro & other stuff because of your accident & the sports you do. But it does come across to me that a trip to a Physiotherapist for some biomechanical testing (or what my physio calls an MOT) to get a bigger picture of what's going on would be money worth spent in the long term.

On this I agree, and have been meaning to do exactly this for a while now. I only know/trust one Physiotherapist and just have not made the commitment to travel 3+ hrs one way to get tested.
Plus to be perfectly honest, I like puzzles and challenges, especially of this nature. Finding the answers through my own trials and errors and research is what drives me.

Cookie wrote:Painful yes. And some days when things pop in my leg/hip during stretches & the tendons start to twitch, move around & generally give off signals of disapproval as they go back into areas they have not seen in a decade. With sweat running down my forehead & a face like its seen a ghost I do wonder if its all worth the effort.

Of course its worth it. Anybody can be average. Anybody can do nothing. This type of work will separate you from the pack. Besides, with kids, that are interested in training, you don't have a choice. Like it or not you are a role model for both them, their friends, and their parents. They might not appreciate it now, but twenty-thirty years from now your kid will be asking the same question you just did and then remember "Hell, my dad was lifting stones and finishing tops in Spartan Races until he was seventy and this is why. I am only thirty-five wtf am I thinking?" If your lucky they will just keep rolling with it and never fall in the trap we did and the question will never be asked.
Train on my friend! One armed handstands when we are 70! :supz:
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:01 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Personally, I believe it is a result of muscular fatigue from the manipulation, but you made a good point and I will certainly keep that in mind as I believe you may be right on a few points.

Fatigue. All the more reason to reign in the horses.

More than likely. That is just the way it goes with all the wear and tear on this frame.

That's why I've taken some massive steps backwards in how I'm training now & my poundage's/volume thresholds.

Not willing to abandon core work, in fact I intend to increase it. However, I will retain your point in the sub-conscience in case I am wrong.

I've not totally abandoned all core work. As I said about 99%. I was a little rose tinted when I said there were no planks or side planks as there have been but not used in the same context as most would prescribe or for the time frames that are the norm. The new teaching of how I perform a bridge now has me only getting my gluteus about 4-6 inches off the floor compared to a full extension (as you've seen in the past) with far more activation of the muscles involved & less to no activation of those that should not. This carried over to the yoga bridge/table to being just like yourself & hamstrings cramping/locking up way below parallel.

There is so much more that goes on for correct core stability/activation that is not taught through internet programs or the mainstream, compared to what is prescribed by qualified physiotherapists & practitioners. The activation of muscles does not always stem from where people think it should when they perform movements & holds. Sometimes things have to be switched off to be able to switch them on.

On this I agree, and have been meaning to do exactly this for a while now. I only know/trust one Physiotherapist and just have not made the commitment to travel 3+ hrs one way to get tested.

I used to have the very same fear of physiotherapists after having spent hundreds on an injury to see very little improvement. But things have changed a lot over the years.

Plus to be perfectly honest, I like puzzles and challenges, especially of this nature. Finding the answers through my own trials and errors and research is what drives me.

That was where I was at. Then I realised somethings are best left to experts in their field who in the long run could save me far more money/time & still help me learn from what they show/teach on each appointment.

Of course its worth it. Anybody can be average. Anybody can do nothing. This type of work will separate you from the pack. Besides, with kids, that are interested in training, you don't have a choice. Like it or not you are a role model for both them, their friends, and their parents. They might not appreciate it now, but twenty-thirty years from now your kid will be asking the same question you just did and then remember "Hell, my dad was lifting stones and finishing tops in Spartan Races until he was seventy and this is why. I am only thirty-five wtf am I thinking?" If your lucky they will just keep rolling with it and never fall in the trap we did and the question will never be asked.
Train on my friend! One armed handstands when we are 70! :supz:

Might have to frame that one & put it on the wall.

Thank you.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:53 pm

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Cookie wrote:

thats from 'choked'. I still have that on VHS! Rickson Gracie is a total hero of mine :supz:
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Scott wrote:thats from 'choked'. I still have that on VHS! Rickson Gracie is a total hero of mine :supz:

I think I first saw it on VHS as well :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:45 pm

Cookie wrote:
Scott wrote:thats from 'choked'. I still have that on VHS! Rickson Gracie is a total hero of mine :supz:

I think I first saw it on VHS as well :lol:

For once I am not the relic! I at least saw it on dvd. Of course that also means "I am so 10 minutes ago" ](*,)
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:02 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Of course that also means "I am so 10 minutes ago" ](*,)

Yup :finga:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Training