It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am
Change font size

Training

Training children

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Training children

Postby Cookie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

At a bit of a dilemma with the youngest. I think he's too young to be using the weights but he's so determined to get "big & powerful" he goes into the cupboard I gets the bar & weights out. Just caught him "deadlifting" because he want to beat a kid at school at arm wresting. :lol:

I've tons of stuff he could use as I don't want him deadlifting or squatting with the bar but would much prefer him to do med ball work or basic bodyweight stuff & some sled pulling which will not overload his spine or CNS which are still developing.

Was considering buying one of those TRX type set ups for him to use along with the climbing wall once that's built.

Ideas?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Training children

Postby samurai69 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:56 pm

bodyweights ok, but if your carefull it would be good to get hime deadlifting and other weight stuff, but with light weights that look heavy enough....remember its about %'ages so for his size and bodyweight

the plateltes wont be effected then....

.dont forget a bodyweight pressup is a %....so weould a deadlift % be ok, pulling a sled up a 45% slope is tough and uses the same muscles as a heavy row would..........%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:24 pm

How old?

Bodyweight is the way to go, but seldom will it hold a kids attention compared to the bar. Depending on his motor patterning you may have to give in a little as you steer him into the direction you want as not to discourage him all together. If he is that gung-ho and shares the same competitive bloodline as you :mrgreen: then he will probably find a way to get it done behind your back without guidance.
Depending on his mindset you may have to teach him the right way, but keep the majority of the workout medball/bodyweight style as this will hold a kids attention, especially when you get into the complex, omega, type of movements.

Does he like working out with you? Or has he reached the "dad is not cool" phase?

TRX system is okay, and I know a few people who are really into it, but I think it will not hold his attention over the long run and will end up gathering dust or just return to a prehab type of movements.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby tomato » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Injuries to children when performing weights are rare if the technique being used is correct.
A lot of people worry about 'stunting growth' etc when they hear of children using free weights, and believe that it is dangerous especially when they can see the physical loads being lifted. However stunting of growth is not going to happen unless the epiphyseal plates are fractured, resulting in calcification of the bone and therefore a in cessation growth. The epiphyseal plates are most likely to be fractured from impact forces,i.e gymnastics, rather than compression force i.e weight lifting. one sports where epiphyseal plate fractures are very common is horse riding, usually occurring when the rider falls of the horse.
It may be wise to note that activities such as running may produce up to 3 x body mass impact force on the lower limb, whereas weightlifting may only have up 1 x body mass plus the load being lifted compression force. So running may pose more risk of injury than weight training.

Because the impact force are 'invisible' in many activites it is easy to overlook them, i believe that children can weight train from an early age as long as technique is emphasised more the load. I agree with Sam about the percentages being used etc.In fact I have seen the british weightlifting association hold competitions for children, where the winner is determined by best technique rather than maximum load lifted.
tomato
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:29 am

tomato wrote: I have seen the british weightlifting association hold competitions for children, where the winner is determined by best technique rather than maximum load lifted.

thats good idea
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:34 pm

samurai69 wrote:bodyweights ok, but if your carefull it would be good to get hime deadlifting and other weight stuff, but with light weights that look heavy enough....remember its about %'ages so for his size and bodyweight

.dont forget a bodyweight pressup is a %....so weould a deadlift % be ok, pulling a sled up a 45% slope is tough and uses the same muscles as a heavy row would..........%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I'm finding it easier to allow his to use the weights than do bodyweight stuff. Kids as bad as me for liking to play with "toys" :lol:

It will be a lot easier to target the whole of his body in a fun way once I have the climbing wall completed all along the yard.

Melas Zomos wrote:How old?

Bodyweight is the way to go, but seldom will it hold a kids attention compared to the bar. Depending on his motor patterning you may have to give in a little as you steer him into the direction you want as not to discourage him all together. If he is that gung-ho and shares the same competitive bloodline as you :mrgreen: then he will probably find a way to get it done behind your back without guidance.

He's more driven than me :lol:

Came home from school after loosing an arm wrestling match. Got out bar & weights & started dead-lifting. Said he was goiong to beat the other kid even though the other kid cheats :supz:

Depending on his mindset you may have to teach him the right way, but keep the majority of the workout medball/bodyweight style as this will hold a kids attention, especially when you get into the complex, omega, type of movements.

Medball is good & he doesn't mind it. Far too young for complex type work IMHO.

Does he like working out with you? Or has he reached the "dad is not cool" phase?

Mine think I'm always cool ;-)

The way I train its very hard for them to work in with me. And when I do let them they come up with their own versions :lol:

TRX system is okay, and I know a few people who are really into it, but I think it will not hold his attention over the long run and will end up gathering dust or just return to a prehab type of movements.

I have some gymnastic rings but not enough space to really put them up properly. When I have hung them off the chinning bar they're all over them like a rash.

tomato wrote:Injuries to children when performing weights are rare if the technique being used is correct.
A lot of people worry about 'stunting growth' etc when they hear of children using free weights, and believe that it is dangerous especially when they can see the physical loads being lifted. However stunting of growth is not going to happen unless the epiphyseal plates are fractured, resulting in calcification of the bone and therefore a in cessation growth. The epiphyseal plates are most likely to be fractured from impact forces,i.e gymnastics, rather than compression force i.e weight lifting. one sports where epiphyseal plate fractures are very common is horse riding, usually occurring when the rider falls of the horse.
It may be wise to note that activities such as running may produce up to 3 x body mass impact force on the lower limb, whereas weightlifting may only have up 1 x body mass plus the load being lifted compression force. So running may pose more risk of injury than weight training.

Because the impact force are 'invisible' in many activites it is easy to overlook them, i believe that children can weight train from an early age as long as technique is emphasised more the load. I agree with Sam about the percentages being used etc.In fact I have seen the british weightlifting association hold competitions for children, where the winner is determined by best technique rather than maximum load lifted.

Nice to see you again tom.

Very good post, I'll take all that on board. Thanks
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:02 pm

"Nice to see you again tom.

Very good post 7 I'll take all that on board."

then ignore it as usual for the first 3 times your told it......lol

didnt i say the same above .....sort of and T agreed .....

LOL....cookie

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:07 pm

samurai69 wrote:then ignore it as usual for the first 3 times your told it......lol

didnt i say the same above .....sort of and T agreed .....

LOL....cookie

I didn't ignore it you cantankerous sod :finga:

samurai69 wrote:bodyweights ok, but if your carefull it would be good to get hime deadlifting and other weight stuff, but with light weights that look heavy enough....remember its about %'ages so for his size and bodyweight

Thanks Samurai69, bloody amazing post. Maybe you should take it up as a living :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Cookie wrote:I have some gymnastic rings but not enough space to really put them up properly. When I have hung them off the chinning bar they're all over them like a rash.

Sounds like you need to borrow a welder and build something, or plant a really fast growing tree :mrgreen:
Can you put something in that lawn you use for your box jumps?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby samurai69 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:44 am

when we were kids we had 2 great trees next to each other and used to buold death slides etc (dont think they ever worked) and used to climb them a lot......had shed that we used to climnb up and jump off....or across to tree....2 gardens across to my mates we used to vault fences......made up our own martial art with free running style moves..........all 40 years ago

now who was it that invented PARKOUR

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:31 am

samurai69 wrote:when we were kids we had 2 great trees next to each other and used to buold death slides etc (dont think they ever worked) and used to climb them a lot......had shed that we used to climnb up and jump off....or across to tree....2 gardens across to my mates we used to vault fences......made up our own martial art with free running style moves..........all 40 years ago

Where is the "like" button?...+1?
Damn, guess I have to go old school tool and say "cool"
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:09 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Sounds like you need to borrow a welder and build something, or plant a really fast growing tree :mrgreen:
Can you put something in that lawn you use for your box jumps?

Not enough space I'm afraid for any of those ideas.

The "lawn" is more of a square that gets used for hanging the washing out :lol:

samurai69 wrote:when we were kids we had 2 great trees next to each other and used to buold death slides etc (dont think they ever worked) and used to climb them a lot......had shed that we used to climnb up and jump off....or across to tree....2 gardens across to my mates we used to vault fences......made up our own martial art with free running style moves..........all 40 years ago

We've discussed this quite a few times when you've been up & we always agree 100% about it being the best way for kids to develop basic strength, balance & coordination skills whilst having fun.

Melas Zomos wrote:Where is the "like" button?...+1?
Damn, guess I have to go old school tool and say "cool"

Maybe we need something like a "like" button :-k

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Training