It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm
Change font size

Training

Training children

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Training children

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:43 am

Very cool, how could you tell a kid he could not do that to his bedroom????
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:00 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Very cool, how could you tell a kid he could not do that to his bedroom????

The wife :-k
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:39 pm

Who needs a bedroom when you've got the whole house :supz:

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am

Not for the fainthearted :shock:
Attachments
new project.jpg

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Cookie wrote:Not for the fainthearted :shock:

fucking awesome

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:56 pm

I don't suppose a standard gym liability policy would cover a structure like that. :shock:
Dang, looks like a good wind would send it over.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm

samurai69 wrote:fucking awesome

Thought you might like it :lol:

Melas Zomos wrote:I don't suppose a standard gym liability policy would cover a structure like that. :shock:
Dang, looks like a good wind would send it over.

Dread to think what the insurance would be like. I bet the disclaimer is a bitch as well :lol:

Secondary note: Sussed out why the sore finger has been like it has. When gripping the holds thumb & first two fingers have been taking all the strain whilst the last two fingers have extremely poor strength when it comes to gripping.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Cookie wrote:Secondary note: Sussed out why the sore finger has been like it has. When gripping the holds thumb & first two fingers have been taking all the strain whilst the last two fingers have extremely poor strength when it comes to gripping.

Phew, the waiver I just had drawn up for wrestling cost me about $600 and it is a good 2 1/2 pages :shock: .
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Phew, the waiver I just had drawn up for wrestling cost me about $600 and it is a good 2 1/2 pages :shock: .

Nice how insurance companies & lawyers are the only ones making any money out of everyone else just trying to have fun :roll:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Phew, the waiver I just had drawn up for wrestling cost me about $600 and it is a good 2 1/2 pages :shock: .

Nice how insurance companies & lawyers are the only ones making any money out of everyone else just trying to have fun :roll:

Bro, you have no idea. I now have to line up "event" insurance and the like. It is a big rip off. Don't get me started with lawyers, every time I use a modern appliance, toaster, washer, etc.. I am reminded of them......argh there I go again...serenity now, serenity now, serenity now. :mrgreen:
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Kid took a right battering in last rugby game. Had to tackle some kids 3-4 stone heavier (no kidding) than them & they've mentioned that their neck & shoulder have been very sore for the last two days. Was thinking of some empty bar (5 footer) shrugs to get them started.

Any other ideas?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Cookie wrote:Kid took a right battering in last rugby game. Had to tackle some kids 3-4 stone heavier (no kidding) than them & they've mentioned that their neck & shoulder have been very sore for the last two days. Was thinking of some empty bar (5 footer) shrugs to get them started.

Any other ideas?

Certainly a good place to start, bands work great for that too. Would offer up my old nautilus neck machine but they are way to young :mrgreen:

Do you have them doing med ball work? 4lb or so overhead throws, some of the side throws, single and both hands? I really think that is the best medium for kids by far.
Simple handstands, tripod also work subtly. Pullups and of course the great wall of cookie can't be beat.

Now, I have taken an interest in staff work over the last week or so and have been playing around with that. It gives the shoulders a good workout too. A broomstick with five minutes of the basic: motorcycle-baseball-golfswing back to motor cycle and then the other side would be super fun. You of course would have to fill a pvc pipe with sand or cement and join in. Really starting to look more staff work and the possibilities with shoulder re-habilitation. Try it out and see what you think, could use another mind on this one.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

PreviousNext

Return to Training