It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 am
Change font size

Training

Training children

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Training children

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:32 am

Why not use weights? It certainly no more dangerous than Rugby. I am frankly unconvinced by the "lifting stunts growth" or "interfere's with bone development" arguments - they both seem to up there with "lifting makes you musclebound". If the little guy's want to give it a go they'll find a way by picking up each other or some other random object.

I'm not suggesting using massive weights start light work on technique, If you teach them properly, from an early age, you're setting them up for later when they can start going heavy. My youngest (6 yr old) regular comes out to my shed with me. He has a pair of 5lb dumbbells put aside for him to use. He can also deadlift and has managed 22.5kg on an olympic bar and the 16 and 24 kg kettlebells. I don't push him but I let him try stuff if he wants too. Resistance bands are good too (and fun all my kids like to pull with them)

I don't know anyone who has damaged themselves from lifting at an early age (and I know a couple of people who started pretty young). By contrast I know two people with spinal injuries who are wheelchair bound courtesy of rugby (one of whom was only 15 at the time of his accident). I know which sport I'm more comfortable with for my children.
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Having kids play around, lifting things up and dabbling here and there gathering an interest, really is not the problem or a problem.
The problem lies with the programs these kids are put on at an early age. Typically kids, and most used in the studies, are put on your standard “bodybuilding” program which is three days a week doing bench, curls, 4 sets of 8reps etc…..which creates drastic imbalances and greatly interferes with the bodies ability to work synergistically. This in the long run will hurt the kids on the field, both performance and injury wise. At that age kids are still learning there body and the muscles are still developing patterns, hopefully the correct ones.
Now if care is taken to outline a well thought out program and the kid has developed enough correct muscle patterns and shows some competence with basic bodyweight exercises then yes starting weight training should not be a problem. Alot depends on the kid, and how active he/she is.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Certainly a good place to start, bands work great for that too. Would offer up my old nautilus neck machine but they are way to young :mrgreen:

Do you have them doing med ball work? 4lb or so overhead throws, some of the side throws, single and both hands? I really think that is the best medium for kids by far.
Simple handstands, tripod also work subtly. Pullups and of course the great wall of cookie can't be beat.

Not looked at band work yet. Might be worth a shot. No 4lb med ball here. They only use the 11lb one :lol:

Now, I have taken an interest in staff work over the last week or so and have been playing around with that. It gives the shoulders a good workout too. A broomstick with five minutes of the basic: motorcycle-baseball-golfswing back to motor cycle and then the other side would be super fun. You of course would have to fill a pvc pipe with sand or cement and join in. Really starting to look more staff work and the possibilities with shoulder re-habilitation. Try it out and see what you think, could use another mind on this one.

I think that's more up S69's street. I'm sure he's done some fighting stick work in the past. I normally just use the broomstick for side twists or shoulder dislocates.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Chris wrote:Why not use weights? It certainly no more dangerous than Rugby. I am frankly unconvinced by the "lifting stunts growth" or "interfere's with bone development" arguments - they both seem to up there with "lifting makes you musclebound". If the little guy's want to give it a go they'll find a way by picking up each other or some other random object.

I'm not suggesting using massive weights start light work on technique, If you teach them properly, from an early age, you're setting them up for later when they can start going heavy. My youngest (6 yr old) regular comes out to my shed with me. He has a pair of 5lb dumbbells put aside for him to use. He can also deadlift and has managed 22.5kg on an olympic bar and the 16 and 24 kg kettlebells. I don't push him but I let him try stuff if he wants too. Resistance bands are good too (and fun all my kids like to pull with them)

I don't know anyone who has damaged themselves from lifting at an early age (and I know a couple of people who started pretty young). By contrast I know two people with spinal injuries who are wheelchair bound courtesy of rugby (one of whom was only 15 at the time of his accident). I know which sport I'm more comfortable with for my children.

Weights do get used from time to time but I have to keep a keen eye on them because if I'm not around the bar gets loaded up. Med balls are used nearly daily with the odd go at tyre flipping & some climbing work on the traversing wall I've just got. Tried the youngest on squats but it wasn't happening as heels kept coming up so switched to lunges. Great to see you've got yours involved. I'm following a similar approach of just letting them toy with different things to see what interests them.

With the youngest playing rugby & starting to do scrums next year looking to make sure their better prepared for what's to come because the size of them kids in that last game was frightening & evident by how sore they were the following day.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Having kids play around, lifting things up and dabbling here and there gathering an interest, really is not the problem or a problem.
The problem lies with the programs these kids are put on at an early age. Typically kids, and most used in the studies, are put on your standard “bodybuilding” program which is three days a week doing bench, curls, 4 sets of 8reps etc…..which creates drastic imbalances and greatly interferes with the bodies ability to work synergistically. This in the long run will hurt the kids on the field, both performance and injury wise. At that age kids are still learning there body and the muscles are still developing patterns, hopefully the correct ones.
Now if care is taken to outline a well thought out program and the kid has developed enough correct muscle patterns and shows some competence with basic bodyweight exercises then yes starting weight training should not be a problem. Alot depends on the kid, and how active he/she is.

Regrettably these days as soon as anyone wants to improve themselves they go straight for the bodybuilding magazines :roll:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:31 pm

Cookie wrote:Regrettably these days as soon as anyone wants to improve themselves they go straight for the bodybuilding magazines :roll:

Well, what can I say. At least I went right for Arnold's Encyclopedia :mrgreen:
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Just picked up over 150 quids worth of gear for 31 quid :supz:

Metolius fingerboard & rings plus another dozen holds all on boards which'll go on & above kids door :mrgreen:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:59 am

sounds good ...ebay??
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:28 pm

samurai69 wrote:sounds good ...ebay??

Yep. I think I got it so low because the auction ended during England's last Euro game :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:33 pm

its good to find auctions that end either really early in the AM or during some sort of big event
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:43 pm

samurai69 wrote:its good to find auctions that end either really early in the AM or during some sort of big event

Have to say I'm pretty chuffed with the purchases. The finger board is immense compared to the wooden one I've been using. Can't wait to get it up and start training with it. Loads of different holds on it that'll give the upper body a good workout.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:39 am

Melas Zomos wrote:I used the link you gave me and ordered some samples.

Did you ever receive those sample holds?

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

PreviousNext

Return to Training