It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:30 pm
Change font size

Training

Training children

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Training children

Postby samurai69 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:01 am

Cookie wrote:Gutted, just missed out on a complete climbing wall for outside. Went for more than I could bid :sad: :cry:

shame
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 pm

samurai69 wrote:shame

Yeah, I was hoping it would be another auction like it was when I got my farmers walk bottles for £20 but it wasn't to be.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220930309852? ... _500wt_949

A complete wall like that would have been perfect for all of us to use.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Ordered climbing holds yesterday & they're here today :supz:

Got 44 now, just enough for a small route. Awaiting mate to let me know when he can come up to help set it all out.

Can't wait, feeling like a kid in a sweet shop :mrgreen:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Latest addition to the wall. Larger than it looks in the picture.
Attachments
Medusa.JPG

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:18 pm

what about a picture of the Great Wall of Cookie?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:56 am

Melas Zomos wrote:what about a picture of the Great Wall of Cookie?

Maybe if it stops raining long enough for me to get one.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue May 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:what about a picture of the Great Wall of Cookie?

A small clip filmed.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Thu May 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Rock climbing mate told me I need to slow down my movements from one hold to another. Says I'm too explosive. Need to relax into the movements more.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu May 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Well, I would say so. By the looks of the video you are so fast the camera can not even pick you up :shock:
Nothing coming up for the vid on this end my friend.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri May 11, 2012 5:30 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Well, I would say so. By the looks of the video you are so fast the camera can not even pick you up :shock:
Nothing coming up for the vid on this end my friend.

Redone

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri May 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Cool, man I might have to do something along the same lines. Is there any rhyme or reason to the positioning of the grips (size and shape)? I assume they are screwed in and not glued?
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sat May 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:Cool, man I might have to do something along the same lines.

I'm glad I did, not just because the "mini me's" can use it but I can easily do something from home when I want a workout but don't fancy using the weights. Maybe the "mini Zomos's" would get a kick out of it as well.

Melas Zomos wrote:Is there any rhyme or reason to the positioning of the grips (size and shape)?

A mate who climbs just told me to begin with by going by feel, (he helped plan the first 15 or so holds to get me started) then run a couple of foot holds in & work on from there where you would need to put your hand to hold yourself steady & where you have to reach to move on to the next foot holds. And so on. But for the kids to set those in at a point where the holds are right at a finger tip stretch to encourage them to really reach for each hold but not so far as they feel they are going to fall off the wall. Once I'm stronger I'll reset the wall in specific rows/colours for feet & hands & get some specific "routes" planned.

The size & shape of the holds are there to mimic different types of rock, how strong you are & if your working on a full grip or on pure finger tip strength/holds. As I get stronger I'll incorporate some of the smoother & much smaller holds that at the moment are beyond my capabilities.

Melas Zomos wrote:I assume they are screwed in and not glued?

Mine are bolted into the wall & held in place by expansion bolts. If you were going to put them into some wood (like your wall) then you would need to get some T bolts to hammer into the back of the wood then screw the holds into place from the front. Otherwise you would just use expansion bolts like me if going into wall/brick.

If you go to the link below you can order yourself some free samples from a company in the US. I got some & I have to say they are very well made.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3989&start=60#p79604

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

PreviousNext

Return to Training