It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:33 am
Change font size

Training

Can i get input on this program?

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Can i get input on this program?

Postby Ghuinness » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:27 pm

I found this program on the internet (GymJunkies.com http://www.gymjunkies.com/home-workout-for-beginner/) and am implementing it; I would really appreciate anyone's suggestions or input. I think this will be a good beginner start to get me moving and get me in the workout habit; I also do have a working knowledge of the exercises and the website has links to demonstrations.

I am 5'10" and weigh 242 lb currently.

Warm up

Warm Up before the workout with 3-5 minutes of jumping jacks or jogging in place.

Workout A:

Squat: 25 reps or as many as possible before a rest is needed – which ever comes first.

Hop Scotch: 30 seconds of max effort.

Push Up: 25 reps or as many as possible before a rest is needed – which ever comes first.

Hop Scotch: 30 seconds of max effort.

Repeat cycle 4 – 8 rounds.

Workout B:

Baby Burpee: 30 seconds of work, 30 seconds of rest.

Repeat 4 – 12 times.

Workout C:

Lunge: 15 reps each leg or as many as possible.

Hop Scotch: 30 seconds.

Push Up: 25 reps or as many as possible.

Hop Scotch: 30 seconds.

Repeat cycle 4 – 8 rounds.

Workout D:

Squat Jump: 30 seconds of work, 30 seconds of rest.

Repeat 4 – 12 times.

Workout E:

Lunge: 10 reps each leg.

Baby Burpee: 10 reps.

Repeat 5 – 7 times.

Workout F:

Squat Jump: Max reps in 10 minutes. Rest as needed and keep track of the reps completed. Try to beat rep count each time this workout comes up.

Workout G:

Tabata Intervals of the following:

Hop Scotch

Squat

Baby Burpee

Push Up

A tabata is 20 seconds of one exercises (quick pace) followed by 10 seconds of rest. You should do this for each exercise for 4 minutes. Your entire workout will take 16 minutes.

Follow a 4 days on, one day off, 3 days on, one day off cycle as follows:
"Integrity means doing the right thing even when no one is looking"- Author Unknown
Ghuinness
Helot
Helot

Re: Can i get input on this program?

Postby Cookie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:22 pm

What's your current exercise regime?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:41 pm

What do you do at the moment and what goals are you looking for.....also is this us or uk firefightrr??
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Ghuinness » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Currently I am not doing any workouts, I was doing some body weight exercises and eliptical but I slacked off since Thanksgiving.

I am looking to burn fat and increase cardio endurance

And I am US firefighter.
"Integrity means doing the right thing even when no one is looking"- Author Unknown
Ghuinness
Helot
Helot

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:03 am

Reading the whole article I think the author has one particular good point, it's a 31 day program - if you don't get the results you want try something else. The best exercise in the world is the one you'll actually do. Commit yourself to trying it for the 31 days, then see what results you've got and whether or not it's a routine you can stick to and reassess at that point.
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 am

Ghuinness wrote:Currently I am not doing any workouts, I was doing some body weight exercises and eliptical but I slacked off since Thanksgiving.

I am looking to burn fat and increase cardio endurance

And I am US firefighter.

Now I'm a big fan of body weight exercises & speed walking just to get people up, about & moving again so that could be your ideal starting point for a couple of weeks along with any dietary adjustments that are needed to help with loosing the unwanted/non functional weight.

Chris wrote:Reading the whole article I think the author has one particular good point, it's a 31 day program - if you don't get the results you want try something else. The best exercise in the world is the one you'll actually do. Commit yourself to trying it for the 31 days, then see what results you've got and whether or not it's a routine you can stick to and reassess at that point.

Chris has a point here with it only being a short duration program & if you don't try you'll never know. My only concern would be that it could be too strenuous to begin with given the lack of exercise you've done since Thanksgiving.

What might give you a happy medium would be to do only 50% of what the program says so you can break into training again nice & steadily.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:48 am

Good point Cookie, if you need a programme that breaks you in slowly then here's a classic, developed by the RCAF it was put into practice and proven to work.

http://gregsadetsky.com/_files/5bx-plan.pdf

It needs absolutely no equipment whatsoever and can be done just about anywhere.
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Ghuinness » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Thank you for all the input. The RCAF Program is really interesting.

I did Workout A with my crew yesterday (one of my guys is BIG into Crossfit). Once I settled into a rhythm, I was able to do the squats and elevated pushups with some effort, but it was doable.

I could not, however, do the Hop Scotch. The jumps were too much, so I adjusted to low step ups and focused on staying moving for 30 seconds.

I think I am going to try doing half the exercises as suggested and if I am still having issues, I will use the RCAF program if I am not seeing results.

Holy crap, getting back into shape is a pain in the butt!! I do feel a lot more comfortable having your input. THANK YOU again!!
Ghuinness
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Ghuinness wrote:Thank you for all the input. The RCAF Program is really interesting.

I did Workout A with my crew yesterday (one of my guys is BIG into Crossfit). Once I settled into a rhythm, I was able to do the squats and elevated pushups with some effort, but it was doable.

I could not, however, do the Hop Scotch. The jumps were too much, so I adjusted to low step ups and focused on staying moving for 30 seconds.

I think I am going to try doing half the exercises as suggested and if I am still having issues, I will use the RCAF program if I am not seeing results.

Holy crap, getting back into shape is a pain in the butt!! I do feel a lot more comfortable having your input. THANK YOU again!!

Well done in making that first step & doing the workout. =D>

Could I suggest you get a pedometer & use that daily to track how much walking/movement you do. Or even make it a daily habit to go out for a walk to make sure you reach a minimum of 10,000 steps each day which is what is recommended over here in the UK.

Keep with it because the first step is always the hardest. :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Ghuinness » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Good idea about the pedometer, am going to put that on my list after payday.

Could not do burpees (to much strain on my knees), so i did cycles of Mountain Climbers and totally did not feel like doing it.

I think this will work if I keep an open mind and stay dynamic.

...and I ignore the evil lazy side that insists I am too sore to do things.
Ghuinness
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:58 am

Ghuinness wrote:I think this will work if I keep an open mind and stay dynamic.

...and I ignore the evil lazy side that insists I am too sore to do things.

Might be over used but here goes;

"what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger" ;-)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Training