It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 am
Change font size

Training

A time for reflection

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

A time for reflection

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 am

New blog post with some thoughts on something that's troubled me for a few years now & how it affects people training goals & achievements.

A time for reflection.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: A time for reflection

Postby samurai69 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:13 pm

will read later
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:41 pm

samurai69 wrote:will read later

Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 am

Cookie wrote:
samurai69 wrote:will read later

Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today :lol:

will have to look at it tomorrow now......oooppps

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Patience is a tough sell now days. Lack of seems to bleed in all aspects of life and is high contagious. Often I have to step back and re-set myself.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Patience is a tough sell now days. Lack of seems to bleed in all aspects of life and is high contagious. Often I have to step back and re-set myself.

Yeah tough one but I think a lot of it stems more from the family setting rather than purely the use of technologies like the internet or video games. The media also has to share some of the blame.

When you get to the exercise front much needless information pumped out there for it to be of any other benefit than to line peoples pockets.

I honestly think that it does far more harm than good, irrespective of its intentions. It overloads people with far too much information, causes confusion & I feel stops people from learning for themselves because they don't need to go & look/read themselves when something needs altering. An then they miss out on those wonderful eureka moments when they go searching/reading down one path & suddenly find themselves doing a complete 180 & finding the answer to what they were seeking in a sport/subject they would never have stumbled upon.

Cerca Trova ;-)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Cookie wrote:
Melas Zomos wrote:Patience is a tough sell now days. Lack of seems to bleed in all aspects of life and is high contagious. Often I have to step back and re-set myself.

Yeah tough one but I think a lot of it stems more from the family setting rather than purely the use of technologies like the internet or video games. The media also has to share some of the blame.

When you get to the exercise front much needless information pumped out there for it to be of any other benefit than to line peoples pockets.

I honestly think that it does far more harm than good, irrespective of its intentions. It overloads people with far too much information, causes confusion & I feel stops people from learning for themselves because they don't need to go & look/read themselves when something needs altering. An then they miss out on those wonderful eureka moments when they go searching/reading down one path & suddenly find themselves doing a complete 180 & finding the answer to what they were seeking in a sport/subject they would never have stumbled upon.

Cerca Trova ;-)

I am in agreement, however I place a little more fault on technology than you do but all the other points are right on and people have lost sight that it is really all about the hunt.

Hostem consectari
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:43 am

Melas Zomos wrote:I am in agreement, however I place a little more fault on technology than you do but all the other points are right on and people have lost sight that it is really all about the hunt.

"Nurture or nature"?

Hostem consectari ac fundere

2012 resolutions is to get along with everyone so I shouldn't need the above :grin:

Semper in angaria

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:29 pm

"Abeunt studia in mores"
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Melas Zomos wrote:"Abeunt studia in mores"

Oh I do believe they should study more as it would teach a greater, broader understanding & ingrain good habits. Wish I had during my schools years. Yet on the other hand children are like pieces of clay & can very much be molded by what is around them on a daily basis. Monkey see monkey do. Or in some cases Monkey see Monkey don't do much because they are sat on their bottoms in front of the goggle box.

wyrd bið ful aræd

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Training