It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 am
Change font size

Training

mixing barbell complexes and bw/lifting

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

mixing barbell complexes and bw/lifting

Postby lil john » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 pm

ok. so i have been thinking about how to start my new routine.

my goals are strength and conditioning. i do want to start some mma again but money is to tight atm. other info about me, 105kg, and have a back injury. and i train weekday mornings, the time were i seem to be able to spend time. up at 6 train for an hour before off to work. i have a 7ft oly bar, no weights yet. standard size bar with upto about 80kg in plates when go pick up the ones i just got. pull up bar (which i cant do a pull up yet). also have a bench.
the only reason i refer to the complexes is to help with conditioning, getting the heart going and cardio side of it aswell.

i had thought of 2-3 compound exercise for strength followed by barbell complexes as like a condition element. 3 rep complexes or 8 rep.

an example would be

push ups, 5x5
front squat 5x5
rows. 5x5

barbell complex
-DL, high pull, snatch, back squat, GM, row for 8reps.

the other way im thinking is, do 2 days lift exercises. then 2 days of barbell complexes. thats if it would work better split.

im unsure as to what would work better. having say 4 days, 2 on, 1 off, 2 on i had gone towards doing both at same time.

ideas or suggestions?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: mixing barbell complexes and bw/lifting

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:14 pm

I would use 3 days of complexes. From what I've read of your journal & posts you do seem to like them & liking/enjoying something is half the battle.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:23 pm

i think that sums it up

ill do what i enjoy haha
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 pm

With a back injury and your desire to return to mma training, I would focus on flexibility and cardio first and foremost. Getting your back stable should be the priority and your training should be focused on such.
Make sure you do some mobility work before each session and warm that back up otherwise you are asking for trouble, especially concentrate on the hip flexors. Make sure it is mobility stretching and not static.
From their I would add in some gpp work to warm it up even more and work on your cardio. I find a short rope session 3min, followed immediately by 30 sec of pushups, and 30 sec of situps (or crunches whatever works for your back best) in a circuit of 2 or 3 really loosens the back up and excites the cns.
From there I would jump into your complexes, these need to be done first to insure no postural breakdowns, and then go for your front squats. If you have back issues I would reconsider doing rows and consider something more akin to nice deep lunges to help with back stability, this really depends on what is wrong with your back. The risk/reward for rows at this stage is not worth it.

"barbell complex -DL, high pull, snatch, back squat, GM, row for 8reps."
Are you including all these movements into one complex?
This is a pretty advanced complex and doing this for eight reps you are just asking for a postural breakdown which will grenade your back sooner than later.

What exactly is up with your back lil John?, and have you had someone look at it?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby lil john » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:22 pm

the bottom vertebrae fused. when i was having it seen to i was told i will prob always have it. and i have a slight curved spine or somthign or other.
i do think alot of it came down to not looking after my back while lifting though.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 pm

lil john wrote:the bottom vertebrae fused. when i was having it seen to i was told i will prob always have it. and i have a slight curved spine or somthign or other.
i do think alot of it came down to not looking after my back while lifting though.

John, I remember you posting a year or so back some things you were doing regarding your back but not sure what. Anyway this guy continually gets mentioned on the internet for being the bees knees when it comes to back fixing.

http://www.backfitpro.com/
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Melas Zomos » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 pm

Cookie wrote:http://www.backfitpro.com/

Stuart is a pretty solid reference. I found some of his stuff helpful and the book was informative. Unfortunately I loaned it out years ago and it got lost in an ugly divorce...or burned one of the two.

There are a few videos with him and some of his techniques on youtube if you search, definately worth a look. As with any program a few things might not jive and will need to be adjusted accordingly. The biggest thing is movement to get the blood circulating in there and of course plenty of ice and heat.

Sounds like your back is not holding you back too much?
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby lil john » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm

so long as im not stupid its normally ok.
bearable.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Melas Zomos » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 pm

lil john wrote:so long as im not stupid its normally ok.
bearable.

Keep on it and make sure you do not let your ego control your workouts. Constantly look for weak points and address them. It will take a while (years) but you will be surprised at how much you can regain and re-build once you find what works for you.
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Return to Training