It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am
Change font size

Training

Sudden Cardiac Death and how to stop it happening

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Sudden Cardiac Death and how to stop it happening

Postby Cookie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:52 am

I'm sure S69 posted something similar last year but with the recent incident of the Bolton football collapsing during a game I think its worth looking at again.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sudden- ... ning-44940
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Sudden Cardiac Death and how to stop it happening

Postby Melas Zomos » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Certainly a shame and it would be wonderous if such tests and screening were made available, but I do not see it happening. Far too expensive. The best thing to do at this time is educate your trainees as to the symptoms and hope that they will confide in you through all the bravado.

I personally have experienced this first hand with two friends so I do recognize the importance. One did have warning signs of which I was present the first time and I would blame just sheer exertion combined with exhaustion and supplements as the tipping point. A year later he died, when they did the autopsy they said the heart looked like that of a 70 yr old.
The other had no warning signs, not sure if exhaustion or supplements played a factor. This was a decade ago, neither made it even close to the thirty mark so they were young lads.
“The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.” Citizen G’Kar
Melas Zomos
Lochagos
Lochagos

Re: Sudden Cardiac Death and how to stop it happening

Postby Cookie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:04 am

Melas Zomos wrote:Certainly a shame and it would be wonderous if such tests and screening were made available, but I do not see it happening. Far too expensive. The best thing to do at this time is educate your trainees as to the symptoms and hope that they will confide in you through all the bravado.

With the amount of money invested in some of these players you would have thought that regular check ups would be a must. They monitor them all the time when training via the inbuilt monitors that some of the new shirts carry. And I have no doubt that all that data will be scrutinized down to whether a player can train on any particular day because they're fully recovered from a previous session or game.

I personally have experienced this first hand with two friends so I do recognize the importance. One did have warning signs of which I was present the first time and I would blame just sheer exertion combined with exhaustion and supplements as the tipping point. A year later he died, when they did the autopsy they said the heart looked like that of a 70 yr old.
The other had no warning signs, not sure if exhaustion or supplements played a factor. This was a decade ago, neither made it even close to the thirty mark so they were young lads.

You've highlighted some points there that have routinely gone through my mind about my own physical exertions when doing some of these slightly over the top races and whether my ticker is being pushed too hard because of past history.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Training