It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:31 am
Change font size

Training

so many sets and reps

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: so many sets and reps

Postby samurai69 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:09 pm

lil john wrote:I see.

Well hopefully new year ill start events. How would you train with an event day. Ill hopefully be lifting with a group on a weekend, but during the week be in the gym, with equipment there.

As a routine what would you think for a novice trainer?

stick to the basic big compound moves is best 3x8 or 5x5 or even a westside protocol then add in 1 day of events training

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:02 pm

I always thought westside was for intermediate to advanced.
There is a few guys on sugden who go for the gorilla forced entry method. But again seems more intermediate to advanced.

I had in mind tbh, 3 days gym. Prob

Tue- squat 3x5, deadlift 3x5, press 3x5
Wed- assistance work so rows, chins, rear delts, GM or sldl
Thu- squat 3xr, deadlift 3x3 bench 3x5
Sat-events

Tbh iim thinking that wouldn be particulaly good.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 pm

The other routine I had in my head was

Tue- deadlift 3x3 then deadlift, row, pull up, GM at 3x10
Wed- clean and pushpress 3x3 with bench, press, rear delts at 3x10
Thu - squat 3x3 with squat, front squat and zercher at 3x10

Sat - events
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:24 am

well, so youre classing yourself as a beginner then??

if thats the case, i get my newbies all doing 3x8 full body 3 times a week shoulders, back, deadlift, chest, squat for 4 to 6 weeks, then they move on to 5x5 for same exercises again 3 times per week

i find most people cannot train intensely enough even through the 5x5 they are learning about intensity

once they have it then we change things around a little

westside needs to be understood and is only for intermeduaite / advanced because of the complexity of the teachings, as many newbies are unable to listen to their bodies enough to be able to train at the right levels for the right exercise on the right day

for me the first routine would be good unless you are really pushing the 3x3 to a high enough intensity level and using the secondary exercise as a finisher

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:35 am

I think I would say beginner.
My lifts are low. Granted I used to train regularly about 4years ago.
My initial goals for next year are to squat 160, dead 200 and push press 100. After a year of good training I would say I'd be getting to novice/ advanced?

Having said that I've got back to training now regularly for 2-3 months.

Is 5x5 uping weight each time or same weight for 5 sets. I choose to do 3x5 as tbh, I can just sqeeze in the time I have.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 am

Also on that fi®st workout the 3x3 would not be balls to the wall.
However I also though of doing maybe 5x3 on the monday and then high rep like 3x8 on the wednesday. Not to a total max out at 8 reps holding slightly back.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:57 pm

if times the issue then stick to 5x3, TBH as i have gotten older i prefer shorter sets on heavy days and then on my lighter days tend to pyramid the weights

my 5x5 is heavy fixed weight once allk 5 sets are hit at 5 reps then weight is upped

full body 3 x 8 should take 35 minutes to an hour, 5x5 should take 60 to 75 mins

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:03 pm

That's what I do with the 3x5 atm, until hit all reps don't up the weight.
You think there is a benefit to a 5x5 over. 3x5?

Also why do yÓu think doing a 5x5 on one day, then 3x8 another day is beneficial?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm

lil john wrote:That's what I do with the 3x5 atm, until hit all reps don't up the weight.
You think there is a benefit to a 5x5 over. 3x5?

Also why do yÓu think doing a 5x5 on one day, then 3x8 another day is beneficial?

the 5x5 and 3x8 , fire the muscles in different ways, what cookie was saying about that and als effecting CNS in a different way

i would be more likely to do 5 x 3, rather than other way round, working close to 1RM range, rather than 3x5, which i find falls short of 3x8 for hypertrophy and also to a degree on the strength and power build i get from 5x5

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Would you add in a Deload week?

I like the idea of a 5x3 tues, accesory work and maybe power cardio wed, 3x8 full body and events weekend. Only thing I'd say is having bench and press prob on seperate days due to time.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:55 pm

lil john wrote:Would you add in a Deload week?

I like the idea of a 5x3 tues, accesory work and maybe power cardio wed, 3x8 full body and events weekend. Only thing I'd say is having bench and press prob on seperate days due to time.

i dont put much emphesis on bench press so it tends to be a secondary exercise on same day as shoulders, but if your spliitting it then it should be good 2 go

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm

samurai69 wrote:
lil john wrote:Would you add in a Deload week?

i dont put much emphesis on bench press so it tends to be a secondary exercise on same day as shoulders, but if your spliitting it then it should be good 2 go

de load weeks tend to find them selves, either work gets in the way or i rest before a comp or something, but if nothings cropped up and your feeling a little lethargic then yeh

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

PreviousNext

Return to Training