It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 am
Change font size

Training

Female Weight Training

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Female Weight Training

Postby lil john » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Wonder if you guys no much about female training or is it even any different to how a man would train.

My finance is looking to get a bit healthier and has started a eating plan thingy. Now she isn't looking to loose lots of fat necessarily as she has no issues with how she looks, it purely for health as she is quite ill on morphine and gabapenten medication.

She is intrested in doing some weights. She was concerned she would start build muscle and traps etc but as far as I'm aware its a lot more dofficult for women to build pure muscle anyway? Especially won't be easy to see unless shredded?

So what I'm thinking is with the stuff at home, a simple full body session couple times a week to see if she likes it, using the main 4 lifts. And then some core work.

I'm a bit unsure about rep ranges. Should I have her initially do more a normal 3x8 get into the groove or like I did a 3x5 then later into a 8x3 or 5x3. Any thoughts or point us in direction of some articles?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: Female Weight Training

Postby samurai69 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 pm

its pretty much same thing, most women feel the muscle firm up and think thats muscle bulk, but look at all the women of crossfit and other weight training and they are all lean and strong,..... look how hard guys train and take gear etc to look big and they have natural test levels higher than a womans

i would stik with an 8 to 12 rep range as heavy as possible and stick to the big compound exercises military press, deadlift, row, bench press and squat...... you cant go far wrong with that, add in planks for a good lean core

but expect feedback saying i am bulking up as soon as the muscle starts to harden

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:08 am

Agree, there is a lot of misinformation/confusion out there with women that if they start to lift weights they'll suddenly look overly muscled. We all know how hard it is for men to add pure muscle & for women its going to be slightly harder due to their genetic make up.

The key is to find what she enjoys doing so best thing is to let her try as many different exercises & styles of lifting/exercising as you can so she can feel comfortable doing what she is doing.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 am

Yeah the research and thoughts I've had seem to echo what you guys say.

I need a squat stand or somthing though so she can see if she likes them/ to do squats and press from rack.

She does seem very keen, which is nice
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 am

lil john wrote:Yeah the research and thoughts I've had seem to echo what you guys say.

I need a squat stand or somthing though so she can see if she likes them/ to do squats and press from rack.

She does seem very keen, which is nice

squats will take time, she will need to learn good form and also be comfortable with bar on neck, so positioning it is important (i would suggest the same technique as is used for proper use of the yoke in strongman
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:20 am

Yeah, is weird at first aint it. Took me a while to get a comfortable and a position I felt could squat with. One of those oiling the groove things.

Is why want to get some stands so she can get used to them as are the king of lifts. Though I am slightly biast towards deads haha
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Training