It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:14 pm
Change font size

Training

Doping

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Doping

Postby Cookie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Okay normally I don't touch this subject any more with a bargepole but there has been a little interest in it so I'll fire up a few things that I think are relevant to how my thinking was & is with regards to the dosages used etcetera.

Huge read, very indepth & worth the time.

An interesting program from a few years back.

Some quotes with some highlighted bits that I think are very relevant.

Russian research, based on rat studies, concluded that the most effective dose of Dianabol was .5mg per kilo of bodyweight. Thus Russian sprinters began using approximately 35 mg per day for prolonged periods. This led to the discovery of a new phenomenon called receptor downgrade. Eventually, the body rebels against a continuous over-stimulation of the receptor sites and begins to shut down some of them in an attempt to regain homeostasis (its normal state).In order to maintain the same level of stimulation, it was necessary to either increase the dose continuously until side effects established a dosage ceiling, interrupt the drug protocol (making training adjustments necessary), or to change the drug or add drugs to maintain receptor affinity. The Russians never really got a handle on this problem and adopted the concept of "key performance years," sometimes taking one or two years off drugs (with the resulting performance drop) in order to have a big year when it counted.

The East Germans approached the problem very differently. They developed a protocol based on the administration of 0.125 mg of Turinabol (an East German variant of Dianabol) per kilo of lean body mass. Their optimal dose was much smaller than the Russian dose and was implemented progressively over a number of years. In addition, they cycled the administration of the drug in order to preserve receptor affinity.The typical sprint protocol consisted of five blocks of administration annually. The first cycle started in November and ran for four weeks, followed by a two week break. The second cycle started in mid-December and ran for six weeks, followed by a four week indoor competition period in February. The third cycle started March 1st and ran for four weeks, followed by another two week break. The fourth cycle, also of four weeks, led into the first outdoor competition period which ran from mid-May to mid-June. The fifth and final cycle lasted six weeks and led to the main competition period of the year in August. If the main competition occurred at a different time, the entire season was adjusted accordingly.This system gave a total administration period of 24 weeks with the rest of the year off. The dosage progressed throughout the year with the peak dose occurring during the final six-week block. As the doctors never determined an optimal time of day for steroids, they administered partial doses throughout the day to maintain an even level. This system maintained receptor affinity and, through a gradual increase in dosage, allowed top performances year after year.The maximum state-sanctioned dose recorded in the STASI files for a female sprinter was 1650 mg per year, an average of 9.8 mg/day during the administration period or, viewed another way, an average of 4.5 mg/day over the whole year. The maximum dose recorded for a male sprinter was 1850 mg/year, an average of 11 mg/day during the administration period, or an average of 5 mg/day over the whole year.

Another huge read but worth it.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Doping

Postby lil john » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:11 am

Wow got half way through the program so far and the effects on them poor kids and without even knowin what going on and the "discipline"

Wow
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:05 pm

lil john wrote:Wow got half way through the program so far and the effects on them poor kids and without even knowin what going on and the "discipline"

Wow

That's why they ended up so good & used so little drugs. It also helps having a bunch of scientists etc around you everyday making sure it all runs smoothly. :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 pm

It was German it was written down it etc had me in hysterics haha
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:34 am

More stuff hitting the news lately with thousands of samples showing suspicious markers.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Cookie wrote:More stuff hitting the news lately with thousands of samples showing suspicious markers.

but this is old news really just a few leaked docs,
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:53 am

samurai69 wrote:but this is old news really just a few leaked docs,

I'm hoping it'll open the flood gates.

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Training