It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:48 pm
Change font size

Training

Supersets

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Supersets

Postby lil john » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Recently I've been using supersets more, mostly as a means of getting time efficient but then so think about keep heart rate up

I've been enjoying it and also seen it used in ovt a bodybuilding program I like the look off. So I though I would look into then more.

What I've found is arious types to get different results

Agonist - same muscles , bench then flys

Antagonist - oppressive muscles, eg squat then a rdl

Pre exhaustion - isolation before a compound and post exhaustion the other way round. There seem to be good for bodybuilding so you can really hit muscles. Post is used in ovt to up the volume as well

Staggered - two muscle groups from different parts. Squat and pull up for instance. From the text this looks to help recovery as different parts, keep heart rate up and help body composition changes.

For bodybuilding the pre and post look good. For strength training I would look against these and more towards staggered supersets. Reason being is that say you do a antagonist superset, squat then a GM. Surely loading up your spins so much can't be good in the long run? Where as doing a staggered your keeping active, still pushing yourself but allowing that area to recover?

Any thoughts?

Ps these posts may start happening alot about versions parts of training when I've researched into them or used them but wanting ideas on them. Think be one if the best ways of getting my knowledge to train my self and hopefully others if i get qualified
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Training