It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:14 pm
Change font size

Training

Squats & Deadlifts

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Squats & Deadlifts

Postby Cookie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Squats and Deadlifts.

Those rules are based on 35 years of observations. If you are waiting for the double blind studies, you will waste 6 to 8 Olympiads. They are not in any particular order.

A really hard deadlift workout will take a female 10 days to recover from, a male 14 days. What is a real hard deadlift workout. For example, I am talking sets 6 to 10 of 3 where you stop 3 times for 6 seconds in the eccentric portion. The coach calls the stop positions at random. If you do this workout correctly, you will look like are suffering from a nasty case of Parkinson’s on the isometric holds.
Squats and deadlifts can be done the same day, if done in separate workouts. You would squat in the morning and deadlift in the evening.

You can squat and pull in a workout.
Deadlifts are pretty much done by themselves. The only exception being alpine skiers, where I have them to double stations of deadlifts alternated with ab work. This system reduces the number of lower back injuries significantly.
You can only gain decent levels of muscle mass if you squat and deadlift. No amount of leg presses will ever match squats and deadlifts.

Frequency is most important in improving squat loads. You can get to a 2 x bodyweight at squatting once every 5 days. You want to squat ATG 3.6 x bodyweight? You will to commit to 9 to 15 squat workouts a week. Ask any Olympic level lifting coach, no has squatted that much in relation to bodyweight to without putting in that much frequency.
Training squats with eccentric loads is the best way to improve short-term speed. It allows the athlete to decelerate later, and switch more rapidly from an eccentric contraction to a concentric contraction.

Pausing in the bottom position is a great way to blast plateaus in squats
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Squats & Deadlifts

Postby samurai69 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:22 am

whos that from??

i would agree with the rest for deadlifting from anything from strong intermediate lifter up, but anything lower than that and i would have them deadlifting 2 to 3 times per week
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Return to Training