It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:48 am
Change font size

Training

Maxing out daily vs reps

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Maxing out daily vs reps

Postby lil john » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

Intrigued to know opinions on this subject as seems to be a lot of people with views on each

Also seems depending if your a weightlifter, power lifter or general strength training

I've started to 1rm on oly lifts, squats and deads every time I train although this is against the thinkin of some. Just how I have ended up doing it.

What are people views? Have you found tht you respond better to working at 85% and goin max reps for instance or trying to add weight on 5 reps every week or the upto max with back off volume work?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Re: Maxing out daily vs reps

Postby Cookie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Never backed off with volume work. If I backed off it was a cut to allow myself to recovery before starting all over again. Normally I would have tested my 3-5 rep max's and worked out my training percentages off those.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 pm

most oly and power lifters i know work around 3 rep sest, only when aiming for new 1RM would they go up to that then back down to 80% for training
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby lil john » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm

how would they look to program training. ie try a extra rep every session or an extra couple kg till the hit 3 reps?
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:43 pm

lil john wrote:Intrigued to know opinions on this subject as seems to be a lot of people with views on each

Also seems depending if your a weightlifter, power lifter or general strength training

I've started to 1rm on oly lifts, squats and deads every time I train although this is against the thinkin of some. Just how I have ended up doing it.

What are people views? Have you found tht you respond better to working at 85% and goin max reps for instance or trying to add weight on 5 reps every week or the upto max with back off volume work?

I like singles but not always 1 RM. It'll probably work out better with the olympic lifts due to their technical nature. I wouldn't suggest maxing out every session , it's not sustainable. cycle your loads, do a few weeks of easier singles working up to a new max then go back to a lighter weight and work back up. You cannot add weight every session indefinitely, if you could 500lb bench presses would be common place.
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Return to Training