It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:39 am
Change font size

Training

Back again.

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Back again.

Postby Musky » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi guys,
I used to kick about on this forum a lot in my teens, took a lot in but was never great at applying it or working hard consistantly.
Anyway I recently stopped drinking (alcohol intake had gotten to be a massive issue) and have found the motivation and energy to train hard and consistantly again, so I'm back for advice.
I have a membership at a leisure centre which gives me access to what I would say is an average gym, gym classes, pool and sauna and steam. For the last couple of months I've been going to the classes as I've put off using the gym until I have a decent plan ahead of me.
At the moment I'm doing about three of their "body pump" classes (light barbell work - same routine every session for about a month) and a couple cardio sessions a week, but I know that with these classes I'm at best wasting my time and worst setting myself up for injuries.

So I need the advice of you knowledgeable folks to set me on the right track again, I'm looking for a solid but simple strength routine that I can get started on, and then tweak/augment as I need, and get confident with the gym & equipment.
I've seen StrongLifts 5x5 recommended a lot nowadays, what's the opinion on that as a starting point?

I apologise if this is all over the place, I look forward to hearing from you.
To get what you've never had do what you've never done.
Musky
Helot
Helot

Re: Back again.

Postby lil john » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 am

Welcome back to the forum :)

Reckon Cookie and Sam69 will have some good info for you

For my 2p's, Sounds like your enjoying being back at the gym and sounds like your training recreationally and not to just compete atm
A simple program like starting strength or one of my favourite programs reg parks 5x5 would work well for a few month while your finding your feet with weights before moving on, though it depends how often your wanting to train.
feel free to post some vids for advice on form on the lifts as often overlooked by most people.
Rebuilding the BEAR
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:05 pm

start with a basic 3x8 routine of the big six
shoulders
back
deadlift
chest press
squats
& Abs

then after 4 to 6 weeks move up to a 5x5 with the same basic idea of same exercises and again another 4 to 6 weeks

nothing too complicated, if its machines thats ok or better with free weights

at my gym the exercises are done largely with dumbbells

Arnold Press
Bench DB Row
Axle dEadlift
fitball bench press
ab roller

it doesnt vary very much from that
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Welcome back and thanks for thinking of us when looking for advice. :grin:

Agree with Sam69 about starting back with the 3x8 and then as both above stated moving up to a 5x5 program once your strength has started to come back through.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Musky » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:55 pm

I appreciate the replies guys, and it feels good to be back.
Just for clarification, I know you guys advocate full body workouts, so is Sam recommending an exercise routine of six movements three times a week, or would that be too much? Would it be fine to just alternate squats and deadlift if I can't combine the two? (if memory serves that is the purpose of the axle deadlift).
Musky
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Alternating squats and deadlifts is just fine. I would also suggest doing 10 minutes of bike, treadmill or rowing to warm up and cool down at the end of the workout. Maybe even some stretching to help with mobility.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:35 am

Cookie wrote:Alternating squats and deadlifts is just fine. I would also suggest doing 10 minutes of bike, treadmill or rowing to warm up and cool down at the end of the workout. Maybe even some stretching to help with mobility.

if you do them in the order i recommend, its all ok in 1 session, doesnt matter that you are tired from deadlifts as its not about hitting 1rm its about getting stronger over all..... after 6 weeks you can do a 1rm testing week (as part of a sort of de load) just hit 1 or 2 exercises par day and load up the weight and even micro load so you find your truest 1rm.... think you will find that though your squats might have been lighter over the weeks as its second last exercise in the RM week you would be more rested and smash through old PBs
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Musky » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks again guys.
Don't worry cookie, will make sure I'm warmed up before. I will have a warm-up sets of each exercise before the work sets too.
I'll let you know how I get on soon.
Musky
Helot
Helot

Return to Training