It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:32 pm
Change font size

Training

Moving on to a 5x5

The Agoge : Training, education and discipline systems of all Spartan citizens.

Moderator: Moderators

Moving on to a 5x5

Postby Musky » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:19 pm

After a month on the 3x8 full body Sam suggested I've had a deload week and intend to start on the 5x5 and change a few of the exercises. So I thought I would post up what I have been doing and what I intend to do, so I can be corrected on any glaring errors.

What I just finished

3x8
Arnold Press (14kg)
One-arm DB Row (20kg)
Deadlift (75kg)
DB Bench (20kg)
Front Squat (55kg)
Ab machine (47.5)

What I intend to start
5x5
Arnold Press
Hammer Strength Row
Deadlift
Wide-grip dips
Back Squat
Hanging leg raises

I will now be squatting and deadlifting on alternate days, so I can put more into each movement. Maybe I'm just a pussy but squatting and deadlifting in the same workout three times a week is getting too much for me.

I'm using the machine for the rowing exercise because it supports your chest, which is obviously much easier on the lower back than a bent-over row, which would get enough work from all the squatting and deadlifting. Is this fine?

I'm also throwing in a large amount of of pull-up doubles and triples between other sets as I am trying to strengthen my pull-ups until I can use weighted-pull ups as my back exercise. That said is there a decent amount of pull-ups I should be doing before I start using weighted-pull ups, and does the same go for the dips?

Thank you, and I apologise for all the questions.
To get what you've never had do what you've never done.
Musky
Helot
Helot

Re: Moving on to a 5x5

Postby Cookie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:53 am

Nothing wrong with splitting squats and deadlifts if you've identified you can't manage it any more.

I would look at your form if you are getting lower back issues from the rows. I prefer Pendelay(sp)- bent over rowing with a barbell myself as it targets a lot of areas other than just the back.

Personally I wouldn't be doing pull ups in between other sets as this just means you're super setting which can be tiring. I would just do pull up ladders as part of your workout. Or failing that if you had access to a pull up bar outside of the gym I would do a few singles and doubles here and there throughout your day to build up form and strength.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Re: Moving on to a 5x5

Postby Musky » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:09 pm

I'll split them up bu because I feel the second movement was suffering, I may try them together again at a later date.
As for the rows, I will continue with what I'm doing but also experiment with the pendlay row movement, and if I do change to using that as my back exercise then I will move it to after the deadlifts rather than before.
As for the pull-ups, I didn't think one or two between sets noticeably tired me, but if you think it would be taking from my recovery between sets then I'll do something more direct at the end of the workout.
Thanks for you help.
To get what you've never had do what you've never done.
Musky
Helot
Helot

Return to Training