It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:59 am
Change font size

Nutrition

Hows this food intake look please

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Takmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:38 pm

Milk

Lots of people don't produce lactase the enzyme to break milk down or Rennin/Chymosin in later age which help cleave the proteins in the milk to make it more digestable and get to the milk proteins.

There is an increased prevelance of allergies in babies receving it at an early and those under 3-6months can get child onset diabetes due to the high levels of BSA (Bovine Serum albumin).

There is an increase in IGF-1 (insulin like growth factor -1) that is transported via Casein one of the main proteins from Milk. High levels of circulating IGF are linked to prostate and breast cancer.

Most cows that are in the daries may be treated with growth hormone (GH) to help increase the milk production from an average of 3L per day to 30L a day.

Lots of body builders pay good money for IGF-1 and GH but receving indirectly will not create a positive growth benefit.

Milk is great for Vitamin D and Calcium but this can be repalced by nuts, pulses and grains etc.

I haven't set out to have a direct attack on Milk itself though I just thought whilst Johno was having a drink why not have one with more protein and better fats.

Everything in your diet should earn the right to be there as it will provide optimum nutrition. And many fall by the wayside after closure examination.

You wouldn't put Four star petrol in a formula one car would you?
Put the best nutrients in first time around and it will reduce your supplements bill.

Dairy products can be good and bad, but like I say it has to earn its place in your diet. It wou;ld take too long to go through each one. do you have any specifics in mind?

Almonds: The reason I mentioned to put these in as I couldn't see where the fats were coming from, especially the right sorts of fats. Almonds are the "Dad" of all the nuts and a favourite of the greeks!!! -

Removing the milk may make Johno want to substitute it with something else sweet or fatty. If you use almonds they are high in MUFA (mono unsaturated fatty acids). This can help reduce serum lipids and lipoprotein concs to favour healthier fats.

They are great when using high protein diets as they help prevent oxidative damage to the proteins and fats as they produce anti oxidants.
this could be because they are loaded with Vit E.

Aswell as Vit E, they also contain, Mg2+, Ca2+, K, Cu2+ and Zn

And also can be counted as asource of protein.

There is also the fibre aspect to almonds to help lower risk of colon and prostate cancer.

Need I go on?!?!?!
:lol:
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:58 am

Takmaster wrote:Milk

Lots of people don't produce lactase the enzyme to break milk down or Rennin/Chymosin in later age which help cleave the proteins in the milk to make it more digestable and get to the milk proteins.

I`ve read the intolerance before, especially with black people (the articles description) having trouble digesting it..

There is an increased prevelance of allergies in babies receving it at an early and those under 3-6months can get child onset diabetes due to the high levels of BSA (Bovine Serum albumin).

Never heard of the diabetes link before, another reason I would assume better for mothers to breast feed not use formula milk...

There is an increase in IGF-1 (insulin like growth factor -1) that is transported via Casein one of the main proteins from Milk. High levels of circulating IGF are linked to prostate and breast cancer.

So would you say its not a good idea to use a casein based protein supplement?

Or is it down to that old adage of a little is ok?

Most cows that are in the daries may be treated with growth hormone (GH) to help increase the milk production from an average of 3L per day to 30L a day.

Thats a huge increase, scarey really..

Lots of body builders pay good money for IGF-1 and GH but receving indirectly will not create a positive growth benefit.

That statement on any other board would recieve 100`s of replies of how wrong you are :lol:

Can you elaborate as to why you won`t recieve the positive growth benefits bbers think they get?

Milk is great for Vitamin D and Calcium but this can be repalced by nuts, pulses and grains etc.

ok

I haven't set out to have a direct attack on Milk itself though I just thought whilst Johno was having a drink why not have one with more protein and better fats.

Understood, but you do see lots of articles etc over the net and in books, media etc about the negative effects milk & milk based items can have on the body, its good to see the reasons why.

Everything in your diet should earn the right to be there as it will provide optimum nutrition. And many fall by the wayside after closure examination.

Excellent way of putting it

Put the best nutrients in first time around and it will reduce your supplements bill.

We do seem to be in an age of supplements first and food laters.

Dairy products can be good and bad, but like I say it has to earn its place in your diet. It would take too long to go through each one. do you have any specifics in mind?

I was wondering mainly how the negative effects of milk are overcome if your using milk based protein supplements.

Almonds: The reason I mentioned to put these in as I couldn't see where the fats were coming from, especially the right sorts of fats. Almonds are the "Dad" of all the nuts and a favourite of the greeks!!! -

I`ve also read that if you soak them overnight in water they are easier to digest and don`t leave people with a bloated feeling that sometimes they get from eating them.

Removing the milk may make Johno want to substitute it with something else sweet or fatty. If you use almonds they are high in MUFA (mono unsaturated fatty acids). This can help reduce serum lipids and lipoprotein concs to favour healthier fats.

They are great when using high protein diets as they help prevent oxidative damage to the proteins and fats as they produce anti oxidants.

There is also the fibre aspect to almonds to help lower risk of colon and prostate cancer.

Need I go on?!?!?!

Yes please do, I need to learn :smt023

"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:43 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:
Takmaster wrote:Milk

I`ve read the intolerance before, especially with black people (the articles description) having trouble digesting it..

There is massive diversity in disease tolerance across varying ethnic groups. Its amazing how tolerance develops even amongst various human groups!

Never heard of the diabetes link before, another reason I would assume better for mothers to breast feed not use formula milk...

[color=red]breast is best!!! It also confers immunity via passing Antibodies from the mother to the body whilst the baby develops its own immune system.[/color]

So would you say its not a good idea to use a casein based protein supplement?

Or is it down to that old adage of a little is ok?

I think Casein is ok its just that many proteins can be used as carrier molecules.

Thats a huge increase, scarey really..

Its not the only case of abuse of nature to feed greed and profit obsessed mother fuckers, but yeah scarey thought.

That statement on any other board would recieve 100`s of replies of how wrong you are :lol:

Can you elaborate as to why you won`t recieve the positive growth benefits bbers think they get?

You would get great growth if you were jabbing GH and IGF-1 directly but there is a falsehood out there that eating meat treated with GH and IGF-1 will somehow make you grow too.?!?!!

ok

And sunshine lol

Understood, but you do see lots of articles etc over the net and in books, media etc about the negative effects milk & milk based items can have on the body, its good to see the reasons why.

Glad thats how its come across and you have reasons to the negatives rather than saying something just does.

Excellent way of putting it

We do seem to be in an age of supplements first and food laters.

Dairy products can be good and bad, but like I say it has to earn its place in your diet. It would take too long to go through each one. do you have any specifics in mind?

I was wondering mainly how the negative effects of milk are overcome if your using milk based protein supplements.

Depends if they are powdered etc.

I`ve also read that if you soak them overnight in water they are easier to digest and don`t leave people with a bloated feeling that sometimes they get from eating them.

Yep, defo you can do that too!

Need I go on?!?!?!

Yes please do, I need to learn :smt023

Let me get my energy back im knackered lol!
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:18 am

Thanks for that Tak :grin:

Very informative.....
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby johno » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Ok, two weeks in and not a 1lb dropped.

Surely with a diet that clean I would have slipped off 1lb?

I know I'm not doing the CV at the mo until I sort out the groin thing but its still a low cal count for basic living.

Next plan, any ideas?

Stick with it, eat more, eat less, don't eat, go down the pub, stick a pie in your face and try to say fuck it?
johno
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Scott » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:51 pm

although there ar far better qualified on here than me...............
Ive been in the exact same situation with clean eating plans and getting stuck at certain weights for too long.
I take it you are defo weighing youself on an empty stomach?

Im currently round about the same weight as you and I had to cut down my carbs to get the weight shifting. you are on about 200g per day. personally I would knock that down. at least by 50g but with a view to going lower. Im at about 120g per day and that seems to be working for me. so it might be worth a thought.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby johno » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Yes Monday morning weigh in, try to get a shit in before
johno
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:02 pm

Trouble is were back again to the point were, because of your job, you are not very active during the day so like scott has suggested you may need to drop your carbs lower...

Now I`m thinking if its your groin (have you seen the doc yet :?: ) then maybe doing some swimming may help as my doctor suggested it to me when my groin was troubling me, as he stated the water acts as support so you don`t feel the pain as if say you tried to run...

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby johno » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:48 pm

Ok cookie that makes sense but my BMR comes out at 1,900 cals just to maintain. I'm consuming around 2,400 - surely I'm burning average 400+/day just walking the dog and moving around?

In to see doc this week.
johno
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:32 am

johno wrote:Ok cookie that makes sense but my BMR comes out at 1,900 cals just to maintain. I'm consuming around 2,400 - surely I'm burning average 400+/day just walking the dog and moving around?

To burn just over 500 cals you`ll need to cover just under 7 miles worth of walking (I worked this out at work with a basic pedometer) alone, so maybe try, like mentioned, dropping a couple hundred cals for 1 week and add in the swimming if possible and se how that goes. Plus if you do keep an eye on performance & recovery from gym work.

In to see doc this week.

Good man :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Previous

Return to Nutrition