Change font size

Nutrition

Milk and Tea

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Milk and Tea

Postby Takmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:04 am

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/09012007/325/m ... g-tea.html

Verena Stangl has got a shed load of Journals published and respected in the medical world.

So no more milky Tea and Coffee
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:39 am

They believe their findings, which are reported in the European Heart Journal, could explain why countries such as Britain, where tea is regularly consumed with milk, have not shown a decreased risk of heart disease and stroke from drinking tea.

As we must have been drinking tea with milk for centuries how would there be any comparisons. It's not like we didn't drink tea 50 years ago but now we do. If we all stopped adding milk now and then in 20 years found that there was a decreased risk of heart disease I'd understand, but as it is I don't understand this paragraph.
Pete
Helot
Helot

Postby Takmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:23 am

I think what they are getting at is that Asian countries that have never used Milk in tea have lower prevalances of Heart Attack (myocardial infarction - MI) and Strokes and they are linking a hypothesis to this.
but bear in mind this is only one single factor.

That is the whole point they are hypothesising that if we stopped putting milk in with our tea then we may see a decrease in MI and stroke due to the benefits of straight tea.

And as you have pointed out we have done this for years so we have never had the benefit in doing this.

However MI and stroke are caused by several factors in differing ethnic and geographical populations. And each one needs to be looked at whether it be diet, hereditary traits etc. But any benefit to help offset these by drinking tea will not be gained by the addition of milk to tea.

If you would like me to go into the science behind the benefits of tea I will gladly do it when I can get time to write something.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:15 am

Takmaster wrote:
If you would like me to go into the science behind the benefits of tea I will gladly do it when I can get time to write something.

Might be interesting if you get the time.
Pete
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:44 am

I`m with pete, if you can deliver more info then great :grin:

Interesting article as I have read or heard that Japan has the lowest levels of cancer and this was put down to their consumption of green tea....

I also liked this bit *When rodents were exposed to black tea they produced more nitric oxide which promotes dilation of blood vessels. But adding milk blocked the effect.* so there you go fits no need tp waste cash or crappy supplements, just drink more tea :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition