Change font size

Nutrition

Glutamine

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Glutamine

Postby Takmaster » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:22 pm

Found this and thought it was rather interesting:

College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.

The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of oral glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. A group of 31 subjects, aged 18-24 years, were randomly allocated to groups (double blind) to receive either glutamine (0.9 g x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 17) or a placebo (0.9 g maltodextrin x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 14 during 6 weeks of total body resistance training. Exercises were performed for four to five sets of 6-12 repetitions at intensities ranging from 60% to 90% 1 repetition maximum (1 RM). Before and after training, measurements were taken of 1 RM squat and bench press strength, peak knee extension torque (using an isokinetic dynamometer), lean tissue mass (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) and muscle protein degradation (urinary 3-methylhistidine by high performance liquid chromatography). Repeated measures ANOVA showed that strength, torque, lean tissue mass and 3-methylhistidine increased with training (P < 0.05), with no significant difference between groups. Both groups increased their 1 RM squat by approximately 30% and 1 RM bench press by approximately 14%. The glutamine group showed increases of 6% for knee extension torque, 2% for lean tissue mass and 41% for urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine. The placebo group increased knee extension torque by 5%, lean tissue mass by 1.7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Re: Glutamine

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:41 pm

Takmaster wrote: glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.

very interesting that :-k
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:15 pm

Well in all honesty Glutamine is a supplement I`ve never tried and its never appealled to me in any way what so ever so that last bit seems to reinforce that belief...

Bet supplement companies, sales reps etc etc etc will/would be all over that study looking for flaws :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Takmaster » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:04 pm

To be honest I can't find many real studies with Glutamine, if anyone hads any ping em up for me to have a look at.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Takmaster wrote:To be honest I can't find many real studies with Glutamine, if anyone hads any ping em up for me to have a look at.

Typed Glutamine into pubmed and it threw this lot up if they are of any use to you...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby sanga » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:25 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:Well in all honesty Glutamine is a supplement I`ve never tried and its never appealled to me in any way what so ever so that last bit seems to reinforce that belief...

Bet supplement companies, sales reps etc etc etc will/would be all over that study looking for flaws :lol:

Erm, no, no, no, errr :lol:
appearance is a consequence of fitness
it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees
sanga
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:49 am

sanga wrote:

Erm, no, no, no, errr :lol:

C`mon Sanga you`ve got to give me your opinions better than that :lol:

Or send me some samples over and I`ll try them out to see if it makes a difference to my recovery :lol: :lol: :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby sanga » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:46 am

To be honest mate, I use Glutamine and Creatine in one situation only and thats when I`ve finished training, all mixed with protein shake and carbs, if I was using gear I`d use Insulin to shuttle the lot in better but even so I see no point in spending tons of money on these products and taking it all day long, after training is the best time when your b ody needs these things and can shuttle them all into the cells and thats for the person using drugs or not.

Creatine IMO is overated, 99% of gains in my experience (and you know I`m a guinea pig Cookie) are water weight, if you are using Creatine to gain weight you are wasting your time and money IMO and I sell the stuff, Glutamine is good but still I`d only use it post workout and maybe 20 mins b4 breakfast but thats it, all this you see of Jay Cutler spooning down 2 teaspoons with every meal is down to one reason only, HE DOESN`T PAY FOR IT!!! ;-)

Truthful enough for you mate? :lol:
appearance is a consequence of fitness
it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees
sanga
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:18 am

sanga wrote:Truthful enough for you mate? :lol:

Thats better buddy :grin:

None of those half assed 3 or 4 word responces on this board.... :shock:

WE WANT THE TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE FUCKING TRUTH :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby samurai69 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:19 am

sanga wrote:
Creatine IMO is overated, 99% of gains in my experience (and you know I`m a guinea pig Cookie) are water weight, if you are using Creatine to gain weight you are wasting your time and money IMO and I sell the stuff, Glutamine is good but still I`d only use it post workout and maybe 20 mins b4 breakfast but thats it, all this you see of Jay Cutler spooning down 2 teaspoons with every meal is down to one reason only, HE DOESN`T PAY FOR IT!!! ;-)

Truthful enough for you mate? :lol:

i think with the creatine the size/weight gain is water, but, the strength gain is evident and that COULD be worth it for some.........but it does drop off after stopping the creatine

the first time i used creatine i noticed the strength gain..........any size was not really noticed.............and got cramps from it

never tried glutamine, but all the tests i have seen have been inconclusive or anti its benefits

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Takmaster » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Already searched Pubmed mate and Exerjourn

Creatine -

Department of Human Kinetics, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, B2G 2W5, Canada.

Our purpose was to assess muscular adaptations during 6 weeks of resistance training in 36 males randomly assigned to supplementation with whey protein (W; 1.2 g/kg/day), whey protein and creatine monohydrate (WC; 0.1 g/kg/day), or placebo (P; 1.2 g/kg/day maltodextrin). Measures included lean tissue mass by dual energy x-ray absorptiometry, bench press and squat strength (1-repetition maximum), and knee extension/flexion peak torque. Lean tissue mass increased to a greater extent with training in WC compared to the other groups, and in the W compared to the P group (p < .05). Bench press strength increased to a greater extent for WC compared to W and P (p < .05). Knee extension peak torque increased with training for WC and W (p < .05), but not for P. All other measures increased to a similar extent across groups. Continued training without supplementation for an additional 6 weeks resulted in maintenance of strength and lean tissue mass in all groups. Males that supplemented with whey protein while resistance training demonstrated greater improvement in knee extension peak torque and lean tissue mass than males engaged in training alone. Males that supplemented with a combination of whey protein and creatine had greater increases in lean tissue mass and bench press than those who supplemented with only whey protein or placebo. However, not all strength measures were improved with supplementation, since subjects who supplemented with creatine and/or whey protein had similar increases in squat strength and knee flexion peak torque compared to subjects who received placebo.
Takmaster
Ephor
Ephor

Postby streetwise » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:12 am

You could keep going and going on these arguements. Glutamine is not that expensive and reads on many webs sites to have many posible benifits. The only one i know to help with immune system. I take it every day and it will still stay on my list of supplements worth taking.
Tribulus is the other supplements most argued about loads of reports say there is nothing in that too.
No1 for BioHazard supplements and more catch me at www.Streetwisesupplements.co.uk
streetwise
Helot
Helot

Next

Return to Nutrition