It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:48 am
Change font size

Nutrition

The truth about food

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

The truth about food

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:35 am

it was on bbc 2 last night, anyone see it?

couple of good bits. one of which was the diet of thon 'colin jackson' guy.
he nailed the world record for 60m and 100m hurdles, if you didnt know (I didnt!) anyways his diet was quite surprising (to me anyways). Would hardly eat any carbs at all! in fact he showed an example of his daily food intake when he was competing / training and there was fuck all carbs worth mentioning. I cant remember exactly but it was all protein, real small portions too. he had a protein shake, cup of almonds, chicken + veg.... I think the veg was the only carb source he had.
he reckoned that because his training was geared to 13 seconds of flat out running he didnt need a lot of carbs coz there was no endurance factor.
That said Ive also read that he eat 150g of chocolate the night before a race.

it did make me think though that maybe we take in far too much carbs than we actually need. do you really need 200+ grams of carbs per day to get through 60 mins of weight lifting 3 or 4 times per week without all our muscle suddenly dissapearing having being used for all this supposed energy we need??
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Re: The truth about food

Postby samurai69 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Scott wrote:it was on bbc 2 last night, anyone see it?

couple of good bits. one of which was the diet of thon 'colin jackson' guy.
he nailed the world record for 60m and 100m hurdles, if you didnt know (I didnt!) anyways his diet was quite surprising (to me anyways). Would hardly eat any carbs at all! in fact he showed an example of his daily food intake when he was competing / training and there was fuck all carbs worth mentioning. I cant remember exactly but it was all protein, real small portions too. he had a protein shake, cup of almonds, chicken + veg.... I think the veg was the only carb source he had.
he reckoned that because his training was geared to 13 seconds of flat out running he didnt need a lot of carbs coz there was no endurance factor.
That said Ive also read that he eat 150g of chocolate the night before a race.

it did make me think though that maybe we take in far too much carbs than we actually need. do you really need 200+ grams of carbs per day to get through 60 mins of weight lifting 3 or 4 times per week without all our muscle suddenly dissapearing having being used for all this supposed energy we need??

two or three things there

CJ needed high protein...little or no carbs as he worked mainly in the phosphocreatine stage of energy burn...... hence lots of heavy red meats high in creatine, iron etc

the american firefighters one they gave same calories, but did not balance foods nutritionally, so yes the ones eating 3 meals felt hungry and had a couple of energy dips,

the race with the twins ............... was an endurance race and they were only fed those particular diets the day before, so 2 things there

1 if they had fed the low carb meal for 2 or 3 months prior the energy systems would have been more used to protein/fat breakdowns therfore more efficient

2 the race was a long distance race therefore anyone not used to using different energy systems would respond better to a high carb diet

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:24 pm

yeah, I thought the twins deal wasnt up to much at all.
the firefighters wasnt bad but the outcome wasnt really anything surprising and really just supports the theory of small meals / snacks frequently throught the day.

I was really just surprised at the lack of carbs that colin took. I dont really know what training a hurdler actually does but it must involve a fair bit of different things. Im sure he doesnt just run the race for practise a few times a day. There must be at least a couple hours training per day at different things, probably some type of weight routine in there as well.
he's not the most muscular sprinter either, I dunno if thats relevent, not that he looks bad at all but some of those guys especially the guys who just sprint (no hurdles) carry a fair old amount of mass.

but anyways with all the training and shit I was expecting to see more carbs. I mean he mustve been lucky to get about 60g from that lot! maybe had had some after training that he never mentioned.

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:10 pm

Scott wrote:yeah, I thought the twins deal wasnt up to much at all.
the firefighters wasnt bad but the outcome wasnt really anything surprising and really just supports the theory of small meals / snacks frequently throught the day.

I was really just surprised at the lack of carbs that colin took. I dont really know what training a hurdler actually does but it must involve a fair bit of different things. Im sure he doesnt just run the race for practise a few times a day. There must be at least a couple hours training per day at different things, probably some type of weight routine in there as well.
he's not the most muscular sprinter either, I dunno if thats relevent, not that he looks bad at all but some of those guys especially the guys who just sprint (no hurdles) carry a fair old amount of mass.

but anyways with all the training and shit I was expecting to see more carbs. I mean he mustve been lucky to get about 60g from that lot! maybe had had some after training that he never mentioned.

still all the workouts are at ATP level so not burning carbs as main source of energy

and protein synthesis is more refined too

and the veg also supplies sugars too
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:13 pm

what are the workouts though and how different (more/less) taxing than mine (for example)
I must admit that his lack of carbs has really got to me LOL! it might look fine to you guys but its not at all what I would imagine a world class athlete to be doing.
After looking around for info on his training Ive found a few things to suggest that hurdlers and CJ inparticular were no strangers to strength training and I dont think that my training would be THAT much different in terms of enegy needed.

this interview he dishes out some advice manily to 16-21 yr olds but you get a feel for some of his methods.

we had to warm-up outside in wet-suits when it was raining before doing 300s, 200s and 100s on the track.

CJ’s current p.b.s 240kg squat to a bench, 145kg clean, 140kg bench 97.5kg snatch) At 16/17 everything was very dynamic, -press-ups, back arches, sit-ups, lots of ab work, bench jumps, single- and double-leg tiggers, skis etc. This type of conditioning work is interesting, dynamic and tiring. Dance exercises were included for abductors and adductors.

your only gonna get these kind of p.bs with time in the gym lifting weights. now I dont know when he hit these PBs but the guy would obviously need to lift weights regulary.

There is also a bit from Tim Benjamin who CJ is now coaching and he mentions the fact that CJ has got him doing "a lot more strength work in the gym"

that to me hints that strength training / weight lifting will have been a factor in his training.
I'll bet he used more energy than me in his training week yet Im eating shit loads more carbs than him............................

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby fits » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:29 pm

That is surprising. maybe its just horses for courses. I dont know what linfords protein intake was like but i remember once seeing a tablel with his weeks worth of fruit on it, FUCK!!! they advsed people not to eat that amount of fruit or you would be shitting through the eye of a neede! lol

i dont like cuting anything out of my diet all together but i think we can get away with less carbs than allot of us take in.
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby samurai69 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:02 pm

start with looking at ATP and phospho creatine stages..............its a start to understanding the main part of this whole training area

now also dont forget that what they did in a day, though exercise intensive didnt include a full (normal) days work....in most cases

look at the likes of linford et al ............. all sprinters, most runs less than 20 seconds ............. requirements explosive speed and power ........where from?? muscular strength, not endurance.

this is what i have been saying to you all about diets, nutrition and training...........the majority of BBers doesnt help

CJ wasnt that big a guy and i would also have to question his pb on the 145kg clean as his bench is only 140kg.....but maybe his skill levels were such.....linford on the other hand could have easily gone into a first timers and come way with a second or third place........they dont have the same chest development as BBers, but neither do most boxers

so

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM YOUR TRAINING...........under 10 second 100m.............. its possible, i have a client (ex - he is in uk) a winger who is now running the length of the pitch in not much more than that in boots on grass.........cookie and others coach some Ok BBers, i have a rower thats now improved their C2 500 m speed by 1.2 seconds (not bad concidering their 500m before).......... i have a client that runs marathons.......do i train or feed him the same as the rugby player...........HELL NO

fits.......you keep checking your weight and go on about losing weight then take a supp (creatine) that is renowned for increasing peoples weight.

once you decide what you realy want from your training and " get a grip" then the chances are it will start to happen (not aimed at fits...all of youe, just in case it looked like i was talking about fits here)

15 years ago i got ok ish at golf............... i didnt touch a club again for that time up to last year since then i have managed to get my game back in order (i played today and went round 18 holes in 18 over par....basically an 18 handicap).....why because thats what i want to do........my goal this year in golf is to get down to a 10 or 12 handicap 9no mean feat)

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:57 am

samurai69 wrote: " get a grip" then the chances are it will start to happen (not aimed at fits...all of youe, just in case it looked like i was talking about fits here)

no no no.... I think we SHOULD totally blame fits ;-)

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM YOUR TRAINING

I need to drop 2 stone. that's my immediate goal, at the same time continue the training that I do. so what kind of carb levels should I be looking at. :???:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:19 am

Scott wrote:
samurai69 wrote: " get a grip" then the chances are it will start to happen (not aimed at fits...all of youe, just in case it looked like i was talking about fits here)

no no no.... I think we SHOULD totally blame fits ;-)

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM YOUR TRAINING

I need to drop 2 stone. that's my immediate goal, at the same time continue the training that I do. so what kind of carb levels should I be looking at. :???:

2 stone, are you sure your frame can do with that much off...........maybe you should look at "body fat % ages" .............. as a first

now, is this mostly from a physique point of view, or sports rellated and if its a physique point of view is that clothed (look good in a suit) or un clothed (look good in shorts at the beach), if its sports related what sport exactly??

then once thats all decided - BE HONEST - you need to lok at the way you consume foods, what you consume and when you consume it, also how your - energy levels run through a basic/average week

thats why what you are saying/asking above becomes more difficult

a pro BBer (clean) for example through their average day needs to eat higher than average %ages of protein (amino acids) amongs other things an non clean pro BBer (using AAs) can actually be less clean about their foods as the AAs do some of the work

a marathon runner or a road cyclist need massive amounts of carbs (complex and easy sugars) for different parts of their energy systems, but also need, in cyclists particularly, some proteins to assist in muscle re building, but the carbs help stop that muscle usage as an energy source

a gymnast needs needs less protein than a powerlifter, only because of their relevant sizes really.............. they both utilise the atp/phospho creatine stage of energy use........they both need to explode.....possibly the gymnast then goes into the anarobic stage of energy usage on some exercises loke floor work .

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby samurai69 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:20 am

i niticed i went of track a bit in last post :oops:

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:05 am

samurai69 wrote:2 stone, are you sure your frame can do with that much off...........maybe you should look at "body fat % ages" .............. as a first

well yeah maybe just 1.6 stone (10kg) will do the trick. My morning weight is 90K, thats 14.2 stone (so I prolly walk around heavier). My m8 Kerry who is more or less the same height as me competed at an 80k limit so he was under 80k. So Ive taken that as a guide. yeah Im not going under 80k, your right that would be too much off my frame, but I should be (I think) just over the 80k mark.

samurai69 wrote:now, is this mostly from a physique point of view, or sports rellated and if its a physique point of view is that clothed (look good in a suit) or un clothed (look good in shorts at the beach), if its sports related what sport exactly??

mostly from a physique point of view. I already look good in a suit!!
I suffer from this syndrome: 't-shirt on = big lad..... t-shirt off = fat lad'!!

samurai69 wrote:then once thats all decided - BE HONEST - you need to lok at the way you consume foods, what you consume and when you consume it, also how your - energy levels run through a basic/average week

I can be honest and I can look at the way I consume foods.... I just cant seem to do anything with this info!!

the more I read about nutrition the more confusing it gets. Thats partly what caught my eye about the Colin Jackson thing. I thought shit, if this dude is training full time running round tracks,lifting weights and stuff on THAT amount of carbs then Im surely eating faaaarrr too much.
then I read stuff from natty BBers saying they are cutting on 200g carbs per day :???:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:57 am

Scott wrote:
samurai69 wrote:2 stone, are you sure your frame can do with that much off...........maybe you should look at "body fat % ages" .............. as a first

well yeah maybe just 1.6 stone (10kg) will do the trick. My morning weight is 90K, thats 14.2 stone (so I prolly walk around heavier). My m8 Kerry who is more or less the same height as me competed at an 80k limit so he was under 80k. So Ive taken that as a guide. yeah Im not going under 80k, your right that would be too much off my frame, but I should be (I think) just over the 80k mark.

samurai69 wrote:now, is this mostly from a physique point of view, or sports rellated and if its a physique point of view is that clothed (look good in a suit) or un clothed (look good in shorts at the beach), if its sports related what sport exactly??

mostly from a physique point of view. I already look good in a suit!!
I suffer from this syndrome: 't-shirt on = big lad..... t-shirt off = fat lad'!!

samurai69 wrote:then once thats all decided - BE HONEST - you need to lok at the way you consume foods, what you consume and when you consume it, also how your - energy levels run through a basic/average week

I can be honest and I can look at the way I consume foods.... I just cant seem to do anything with this info!!

the more I read about nutrition the more confusing it gets. Thats partly what caught my eye about the Colin Jackson thing. I thought shit, if this dude is training full time running round tracks,lifting weights and stuff on THAT amount of carbs then Im surely eating faaaarrr too much.
then I read stuff from natty BBers saying they are cutting on 200g carbs per day :???:

yeah, i think all of this is why the nutrition field changes from week to week

the body is very clever and it addapts to most things, finding the balance is the hardest bit....and its true what CJ says in the film about horses for courses as far as diet is concerned to a degree

we need to find the right balance for each person, their lifstyle, their work, their training etc etc etc, from that we can form a plan

i have had a huge amount of clients looking to lose weight..........every single diet that worked for them was different . . . . . . apart from one thing .........the balance that worked for them

but ultimately to lose weight its down to energy in energy out.

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Next

Return to Nutrition