It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:26 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

The truth about food

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby samurai69 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:58 am

have to say this has turned into another good thread.
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:22 pm

Nice reading guys :grin:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:25 pm

samurai69 wrote:
but ultimately to lose weight its down to energy in energy out.

so that just a comes down to a simple cals in VS cals out? if I use more cals than I eat Im gonna start dropping weight.
coz that doesnt sound very difficult!!! why cant I do that then... :sad:
if I took next week and done the same as Ive been doing this last month where Ive stayed the exact same weight and I add in 4 cups of green tea per day and doubled my cardio to 4.5 miles walking per day (from the current 2.25 miles) then that will be approx an extra 2000 cals used from the extra walking and whatever from the green tea....... so I should see 'something' happen to my weight at the end of the week???
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:49 pm

You have to remeber Scott though, like Sam69 has said before a not all cals are equal..... ;-)

In that I think he means that different types of calories react differently to different peoples and their enviroments, so having a *single* diet doesn`t work for everyone.....

Now in your case, like I`ve mentioned before :roll: with your lack of overall cardio each day (sat behind a desk and computer) your need for energy/carbohydrates is far far less than a person like myslef who walks 8+ miles each day.....I need carbs mainly for work, you don`t, we both can use carbs for training and recovery, but also with your lack of overall activity for the day compared to mine I can get away with a few extra carbs in the evening as I`m still in a refeeding mode for work the next day....I loose about 1 kilo aday through energy burnt and water loss and thats just at work, bet you don`t.....

Now do you follow?

Does TKD now sound better?

Does a feast and famine style diet sound plausable?

Does animalbolics and such diets (small small snacks then workout and big big feed in the evening) seem to fit your daily activities?

One size does not always fit all, large majority but not ALL.....Same goes for training so why not in diet?
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:50 pm

animalbolics confuses me...

it says that eating 5-6 meals per day makes you fat but then in the sample meal plan...... 5 meals!!

then I dont get the breakfast bit
So eating in the morning is going to flood
your body with carbs that it really doesn't need. They're turned into fat.
Have
some coffee and if you are on it, a thermogenic supplement. The key is no sugar. If you are starving have a protein drink or some tuna.

but the sample meal plan states... breakfast, so when IS breakfast?
but the sample meal plan is eggs + a protein drink. Also how much protein should be in a 'protein shake' 20, 30, 40 grams?

if this diet is all about timings then how do I work it so that I train at 11am?

just for ref this is the sample meal plan:

A Sample Diet (~190lbs)
Breakfast: 3 egg whites and 2 whole eggs
Protein shake, 16oz Orange Juice
Lunch: 1 can Tuna, 1 Orange
Pre-Workout @ 1:45: 16oz Orange Juice
Post-Workout #1 immediately after: Protein Shake w simple carbs
Post-Workout #2 about 1-2hrs later: Protein Shake
Dinner @ 9:00pm: 4oz Ground Sirloin 1oz, cheese, baked potato

Total: 185g of protein 300g carbohydrates 38g fat

also we are back to a meal directly after training...... its a tad confusing :???:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby samurai69 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:07 pm

Ok we`ll break this down a little......

If your needing food for breakfast then eating 20grms of protein isn`t going to cause a spike of insulin that will cause storage....Follow?

Breakfast can simply be for you when you get back from walking the dog...

The 5 meals if you look at it are like snacks or as Sam69 calls it *Grazing* a little food to stabilise blood sugar (average blood sugar is about 10grms...Tak or Sam will correct me if wrong) and cause a spike...again that word *spike* bad bad word is *spike* storage....

If your training at 11am then thats simple...come on.....Breakfast coffee + supps + any thermogenics your on.....I presume your breakie is about 7-8ish, 10.45 your orange juice, then post workout meal 1 then number 2 and for the rest of the day *snacks* your simply doing the whole thing topsie turvy....follow....This in essence would leave your blood suagrs quite stable by bedtime so (in theory) lead to better overall natural GH secretions during sleep as there is no food (sugar) in the way to upset this process....

A meal after training isn`t a bad thing, its the timings for each individual, some can cope with high food consumption postworkout...AAS, GH & Insulin users.....Force feeding....force storage....some can`t....but if your food intake is limited for a large proportion of the day then when the food/fuel is needed...postworkout....then your body will use it efficiently...repair.....

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:42 pm

I would just like to say that i think scott is the new fits! he cant seem to make his mind up lol :lol: :lol:

Any way, i have not been on here much latey due to being busy, so i have not read your section, but what i read from here on this thread is that your trying to loose some fat scott? with out loosing muscle? or are you trying to increase strength/muscle size? that is clssic me, i start out with goals but they change fast as i seem to be able to gain/drop weight/fat real fast!

Dieting is not hard. i think the whole nutritional thing is very confusing as a whole but it can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be

There is a masive debate about portein cals, carb cals fat cals. calories from simple sugars will act differently in your body compared to caloris from fat BUT i think the main fact is, calories out Vs calories in! Thats the most important thing i think.

how you go about it can be up to you but after dieting and reading for many years, i think if you want to loose fat, take in less cals than you use = fat loss.

Once you have that sorted adjust your macros.

i think you should keep diet drinks (especially diet coke) to a minimum if your trying a low carb diet, as i have personally seen someone that was on low/no carb diet, up his intake of diet cokes (to a few per day every day as he loved the stuff) and weight loss stopped.

i wont go into this any further right now. There are many ways to diet, and it can be complex but if your having probs droping fat then i think keep it simple. get the fat moving then you can try other things/listen to your body, carb cycling, or what ever.

My biggest issues right now are 1) i cant make up my mind, my main goal by the end of year is to be stronger and look better, but i wanted to do it between 15st and 16st (currently 16.7) and 2) i dont want to actually 'diet' but its looking more and more likely that soon ill have to pull myself in and be allot more controlled with my eating. but im not worried or moaning right now as im fairly happy with thats going on :-)

If i choose to go for pure fat loss soon, ill show you how its done ;-)

oh, scott have you tried Reg x? :lol: :razz:
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby samurai69 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:42 pm

scott, the new fits

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fits, sound advice...........start listening to it

:twisted:

samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Scott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:59 pm

new fits!!! LOL!!

nah..... cmon ;-) im not having any probs deciding what Im doing. its simple Im trying to drop fat. thats it. secondary concern is oviously I would prefer not to lose any muscle BUT I wanna drop fat first and foremost.

what has got me in a fits-like state ;-) has been that Ive been going along quite well. dropping the weight regulary each week without effecting my training. Then it stopped.... so I adjusted some stuff..... nothing..... adjusted some more..... nothing!!!

so where I thought I had a good-ish idea about nutrition Im now not so sure.... then ya see stuff like the colin jackson no carbs type diet and it just got me thinking a bit.

Im not gonna be looking at regx though and Im not gonna get hung up on anything complicated.

Personally I see these areas as problems...
Im on too much carbs, Im not too convinced about the breakfast meal and I'm not too sure about post workout.

I kinda like the approach of the animalbolics thing though. especially the coffee for breakfast :lol:

question......

A Sample Diet (~190lbs)
Breakfast: 3 egg whites and 2 whole eggs
Protein shake, 16oz Orange Juice
Lunch: 1 can Tuna, 1 Orange
Pre-Workout @ 1:45: 16oz Orange Juice
Post-Workout #1 immediately after: Protein Shake w simple carbs
Post-Workout #2 about 1-2hrs later: Protein Shake
Dinner @ 9:00pm: 4oz Ground Sirloin 1oz, cheese, baked potato
Total: 185g of protein 300g carbohydrates 38g fat

where the fuck does the 300g come from... is that a typo?

Im gonna just fuck around again next week. I'll cut the carbs back like fuck and see how I go. The thing I dont like about animalbolics is the 3 protein shakes per day not to mention the steak per day!!

I have a bit of a plan.... we'll see how it pans out :lol:

Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Postby fits » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:03 am

i like to have some complex carbs in the AM, we need carbs to think straight, (well i do) i have noticed a big difference from having a bowl of porridge and a protein shake in the am, from just having a shake or ust eggs.

try having around 100g of carbs on non weight liting days and 150g to 180g on weight lifting days (50 to 80g of carbs post work out) and see how your get on,

On reg x i used to have a protein shake 2 times per week made up of 4 scops of proteins powder/100g/400 cals worth, and 6 tbls of honey, 400 cals worth. and i used to lose weight well on it. i did actually stop loosing weight on level 2, so was told to go UP a level to level 3 and i started loosing again!!!! so maybe you could do with some more cals from protein/ good fats??

any how let us know what changes you make and what your results are
:-)
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:21 am

Fits about time you posted something up that was good to read :lol:

You two make me laugh....lol...too much worrying about ratios/macros/bodyweight for set goals....lol....you know me, just get out there and train, and keep moving the whole day long...avoid sugars and excessive carbs later in the day and it`ll come off.... ;-)

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition