It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:32 am
Change font size

Nutrition

diet - excess protein not required???

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

diet - excess protein not required???

Postby romeo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:13 pm

COOKIE posted on another board that he had a bet with someone that he could gain muscle with virtually no protein, the guy who propositioned him was efbb.

so are we (naturals) consuming too much protein for our won good? could we make the same gains on less?

im extremely interested to hear this, as i have been told once that the you need protein thing was a bid to sell protein powder.
romeo
Helot
Helot

Postby megatron » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:10 am

AllI know is that for me, I need to eat tons of protien to gain. While I was Ill I ate the same diet for a while (while not training) and after about a week I knew I was eating WAY too much protien for my bodys requirements. Then as soon as I started working out again, my protien intake wasn't near high enough and I had to triple it to meet requirements. I find a good way for me to gague my requirements is by looking at the colour of my poo :D
megatron
Helot
Helot

Postby big pete » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:24 pm

no protein how? vegetables only?

or no protein powders?
dont think you are, KNOW you are!
big pete
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:42 pm

I ate about 3 tins of tuna a day with 1 protein drink on training days only...

Long long time ago.... :lol:

Plus when my liver packed in the doc had me on a *no protein* diet so that my liver would have one less job to do so it could heal quicker...man that was a bitch to do.....
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby dynamatiz » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:00 pm

ONE SMART COOKIE wrote:I ate about 3 tins of tuna a day with 1 protein drink on training days only...

Long long time ago.... :lol:

Plus when my liver packed in the doc had me on a *no protein* diet so that my liver would have one less job to do so it could heal quicker...man that was a bitch to do.....

so how did that get on then cookie, im interested too hear that too, judging by your post above, it didnt go well ??
dynamatiz
Hoplite
Hoplite

Postby fits » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:33 pm

I wonder this.

I know paul dont seem to eat much protein. But when you look on forums, alot of amature BBer, and general weight lifters say....EAT PROTIEN and lots of it!
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:42 pm

dynamatiz wrote:
so how did that get on then cookie, im interested too hear that too, judging by your post above, it didnt go well ??

It went fine, I managed to put lean mass on with just 100grms aday, ate plenty of carbs and veg....flt fine...longtime ago so can`t remember all the details :lol:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:24 pm

if youve not seen the thread about my mate kerry.. have a quick look he won the bnbf overall in 2004 when his protien consumption was around the 250g mark per day. If I remember rightly he may have went higher as the contests got closer, Im sure as he dropped carbs he replaced the cals with extra protein so may well have hit the 300/350g per day mark for a short while.

He then took ill due to a high blood pressure 'thing' with the doctor telling him to reduce his protein levels quite dramatically. He dropped to 100g per day and his blood pressure returned to normal, basically to cut a long story short... he went on last year to win the scottish middleweight and came second in the british middles.

I dont think the competition placing are really relevent as a lot can go wrong in so many areas in that respect but if you look at his pics taken in the gym towards the end of that thread he looks in great shape and that was after a long time on 100g protein per day.
maybe it could be argued that his main mass was built on the higher level but I think it is very interesting to see someone in such good shape on a protein level which a lot of people would describe as 'not worth a wank'.
FIGHTING SOLVES EVERYTHING

Get Dropped But I'm Right Back In

Wendy Who Web Development
Scott
Dioscuri
Dioscuri

Return to Nutrition