It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:06 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Old Spartan Diet

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Old Spartan Diet

Postby ZJBH » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:50 pm

Hollywood is Hollywood and there are some fantastic Physiques in the new film 300 but was it all natural? :???: , So it got me thinking... old spartan training must have been one of the hardest but what about their diet? What would they have eaten in those days? Did they have time to eat every two to three hours, its not as if they could grab a quick shake, we know they spent most of their time training so would they have been as cut as the films Portrayal of these brave warrior's...

Shame there' no cook book from BC lol!

:grin: :grin: :grin:
ZJBH

Postby Jimmy Bludd » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:15 am

Not to burst any bubbles regarding the 300 film, but some of the sixpacks were CGI enhanced to make them stand out more...the actors still put aload of work in to get in shape tho...go to youtube and search "300 training" if ya wanna see wat they did.

regarding the spartan diet all i know is something i read in empire magazine...said it was just meat and veg...low carb. no sugar and no dairy either.
"THIS IS SPARTAAAA!"
Jimmy Bludd
Helot
Helot

CGI

Postby ZJBH » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks Jimmy :grin: good old CGI lol! its only a shame we cant do that i real life... go to the beach and give yourself a quick enhancement lol! then go to the pub and give yourself a beer belly lo!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
Training looks good :shock: i feel sick just looking at it :grin:
ZJBH

Postby Cookie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:10 pm

OOOOPsi forgot this one... :oops:

The bits I`ve read basically say that the Spartans ate a lot of fruit, nuts, seeds etc, plus meats and some real hard long lasting bread.. Plus a soup they used to call, *blood soup* which was pigs blood, vinegar and pork..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby dunster » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:19 pm

a bit like black pudding? thats good to know, i love black pudding
dunster
Lochagos
Lochagos

Postby Cookie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:12 pm

dunster wrote:a bit like black pudding? thats good to know, i love black pudding

But apparently not as nice as black pudding :shock:
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:37 am

And Fish. In ancient Greece (and modern Greece too) and other Mediterranean cultures fish was a staple.
Chris
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:01 am

Welocme to the board chris :grin:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby jacks0n » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:41 pm

I think a large part of their diet was "blood soup" or "black soup" (melas zomos), made of pig's blood, pork, and vinegar. It was nasty enough that other Greeks joked that Spartans were so ready to die because they had to eat it all the time.

It was probably a very good high-protein mixture though, not that I'd want to eat it.
jacks0n
Helot
Helot

Postby samurai69 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:43 pm

jacks0n wrote:I think a large part of their diet was "blood soup" or "black soup" (melas zomos), made of pig's blood, pork, and vinegar. It was nasty enough that other Greeks joked that Spartans were so ready to die because they had to eat it all the time.

It was probably a very good high-protein mixture though, not that I'd want to eat it.

they still make a black sausage over here, similar to black pudding that uses all the above (pig's blood, pork, and vinegar)...........

strange country :oops:
Ephor - one of five powerful civil magistrates in Spartan government, elected annually by the Assembly.

"I thought I was hard done by, when I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"]

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr
samurai69
Ephor
Ephor

Forum Party

Postby ZJBH » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:05 pm

....well if this forum ever decides to have a get together we now know what food to bring to the party lol!!! :grin: anyone for a blood soup :grin:
ZJBH

Re: Forum Party

Postby Cookie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:51 pm

ZJBH wrote:....well if this forum ever decides to have a get together we now know what food to bring to the party lol!!! :grin: anyone for a blood soup :grin:

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Next

Return to Nutrition