Change font size

Nutrition

any good

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

any good

Postby lil john » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 am

lowish carb high protein bar recipies

i want to make some for snakck and mid morning, but im skint to buy some so need to make some.

i notice alot tho are all high in carbs and im trying to lose fat, is that tho because of the oats.

anyway, anyone got a good recipe that i can nic.

cheers
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:50 am

Really difficult imo to make a low carb protein bar at home as like you`ve said the inclusion on the oats....

Better to have a shake with some olive oil in, or a tuna/chicken salad with olive oil, lemon & pepper dressing...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:05 am

yeah, it was really just for convienance aswell, as it would be good just to grab a bar on the move, especially if my company works out.

might just make some normall ones then with the oats in etc, at least it will be mostly complex carbs
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:09 am

Add in plenty of good fats to slow down absorbtion o the carbs a bit more.
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 am

what would eb the sources of good fats mate?
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby Cookie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:15 am

JD wrote:what would eb the sources of good fats mate?

Olive oil....and small amounts of butter

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby lil john » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:20 am

cool, cheers cookie
lil john
Ephor
Ephor

Postby JRicher » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:11 pm

its really hard to try to get alot of proteiin if your trying to lose weight very very hard to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time i just suggest you step your cardio up
JRicher
Helot
Helot

Postby sanga » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:38 pm

I`ve been looking into this a lot lately, I am sure I`m insulin sensitive, I have dropped 2 and 1/2 stone, I still look bloated, I have bodyfat around my ab area and need to get rid of it, I dropped my protein intake a lot, I was eating 3 times a day, lost some muscle size but that was due to dropping protein and calories.

I have since upped my protein and am beginning to gain a little size back, not that I`m that small mind, the thing is you can lose weight and keep the protein high or at least at levels to maintain size while you lose the fat, you just have to be careful that you don`t drop protein intake too low and not hold your size, I`ve dieted before and kept the protein intake up, kept the size and lost fat but I must admit its got a whole lot harder with the carbs recently and I need to start thinking around the insulin sensitive idea and work on low carb with higher fat intake.

Fruit or fruit juice before a workout, some complex carbs after a workout thats what Cookie is refering to if I`m correct, we have had this conversation before eh Cookie?

Get the diet wrong and you suffer, either low energy, lose of size or not gaining, get it right and things a rosey.
sanga
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Cookie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:50 pm

Bumping this for tomorow Sanga as you know I`ve had a lot of probs with my blood sugar levels in the past and after some recent blood tests things have changed again so we can look into this a bit more for you...

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby sanga » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:17 pm

I`d be interested in your thoughts as I do know you have looked into this, I too have a few ideas but they are based around the insulin sensitivity, insulin spikes and blood sugar levels that a lot of people, including myself I`m sure of it, have the problem of.
sanga
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby Vikingfan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:09 pm

Melt a block of lard and add protein powder, allow to set and there you go low carb protein bar
Vikingfan
Helot
Helot

Next

Return to Nutrition