It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:56 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

Recovery Foods

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

Recovery Foods

Postby DiliosOfSparta » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:43 pm

What are some good recovery foods to eat throughout the day if you are feeling sore and are going to workout out later in the evening

NOTE this is not post workout it is like the day after the workout

I heard Chocolate milk, yogurt, fruit smoothes are all excellent.

All these have sugar which I really don't want any of at all

and also how much rest time do I need I workout in 3 circuits usually and 4 days a week. 25-45 minute workouts i do core workouts monday, strength Tuesday, Endurance Wednesday, Rest, Friday Usually strengh abs

Tomorow is my recovery day and I want to eat good foods and get plenty of rest but what good foods and how much rest.

thanks
After Xerxes asked King Leondias to surrender and he would be king of all of Greece.

"If you knew what is good in life, you would abstain from wishing for foreign things. For me it is better to die for Greece than to be monarch over my compatriots" - King Leonidas

August 10th 480 B.C.
DiliosOfSparta
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:33 am

Well you may find then that you need to look at your food after a workout to see wether it is enough to stimulate full recovery, as this could be the reason for your soreness the following day.

Or you are slightly overtraining...

Try increasing you calorie consumption slightly after you`ve trained and see if that has any bearing first...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby sanga » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:10 pm

There is a saying that is not too far from the truth for a lot of people..

"There is no such thing as overtraining, only under eating"
sanga
Neodamodeis
Neodamodeis

Postby romeo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:18 pm

from my own experience, if i eat loads after a workout, and nail my diet after training, then i get a lot less sore, and less of the flatness that you get the next day. there is no time where dioet is more important than within the 7 or so hours after a workout.
romeo
Helot
Helot

Postby DiliosOfSparta » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 pm

I hade a protein shake chicken, rice, oatmeal, cereal, soy milk, apple all within the 7 hours of my workout and my buttcheeks are freaking sore I think its from doing switch lunges
After Xerxes asked King Leondias to surrender and he would be king of all of Greece.

"If you knew what is good in life, you would abstain from wishing for foreign things. For me it is better to die for Greece than to be monarch over my compatriots" - King Leonidas

August 10th 480 B.C.
DiliosOfSparta
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:55 am

Well I would drop the soya milk as its garbage and in men it raises estrogen levels which is not a good thing...
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby fits » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:44 pm

Get some 400 cals worth of protein and 400 clas worth of honey down you after your workout, in two pints or so of water.
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Cookie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:57 pm

Good idea fits

I`ll soon be back on the shakes cottage cheese & mixed fruit shakes myself soon...all those lovely antioxidants :lol:

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby DiliosOfSparta » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:30 pm

o no! :shock: in soy milk, dang now im going to rice milk

i really dont want estrogens lol but soy milk tastes so good thanks for warning me cookie :grin:

August 10th 480 B.C.
DiliosOfSparta
Helot
Helot

Postby fits » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:11 pm

i have been having those shakes again lately, i like them alot :-) I get boxes of frozen fruits from tesco, they are lovely. I like the regx diet as you know, and when you tihnk about it, it covers everything. I like the fruits in it, honey is great, eggs are tops, and ofcourse the veg, brocli especially has lots of goodnes as well as the meat. i start LOOSELY following the diet last week, back down from 16st 12lbs to 16st 9lbs and i hope to go sub 16stone. i also hope to get back into writing in my journal soon.................... :grin:
fits
Polemarch.
Polemarch.

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:49 pm

Im still using the shakes as well, bloody nice! well still on reg x really found it easy to stick to :smile:
"go out in flames,don't go out any other way!"
Eric
Lochagos
Lochagos

Return to Nutrition