It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:46 pm
Change font size

Nutrition

supplements (need help)

Syssitia : The communal & military mess of adult Spartan warriors

Moderator: Moderators

supplements (need help)

Postby ryodan » Mon May 14, 2007 7:41 am

So I have a normal protein shake that I have close to twice a day (around that), but I am wondering about additional supplements.

I know that muscles need calcium in order to supply ATP to the myosin and actin, so I wonder how much is needed.

Cryotine, which helps put water weight into your muscles, and provides additional help (im wondering how?).

Another is glutamate, what the hell does this stuff do?

What i am truely wondering is what supplements really in fact do help you get stronger and bigger, and how much is needed?

-ryodan
ryodan
Helot
Helot

Postby ryodan » Mon May 14, 2007 7:42 am

my bad this should be in the sysstia forums
ryodan
Helot
Helot

Postby dsisive407 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:59 am

Did you mean creatine and glutamine?

Here is a link for glutamine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine
here is a link for creatine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine
dsisive407
Helot
Helot

Postby Al » Mon May 14, 2007 11:18 am

I've got to put a good word in for creatine. I've used it for 10+ years, before it was really popular over here. I know a lot of guys have tried it and experienced stomach upset or didn't feel any benefit at all. I will not train without it now. I've used enough supplements in the past to be very wary of claims and I didn't expect much from creatine when I first tried it, so there wasn't any placebo element to its effects. After the initial loading phase (about 10 days after I started) the poundages at the gym started going up BIG TIME. Some guys thought I was on gear (I'm lifetime clean). You've probably experienced good & bad days at the gym: sometimes the weight just feels "dead" and you're really struggling from the word go. At other times it's "bouncy" and you can go for rep after rep and even the last all out effort feels good. This was the effect that creatine had on me. I could push harder for longer and my strength went up accordingly. I've tried a few brands over the years, but IMHO the best way to take it is a spoonful of the powder straight in your mouth washed down with a glass of fresh juice. Creatine is popular because it works and it's affordable.
Al
Banished

Postby Cookie » Mon May 14, 2007 12:11 pm

What supplements you need all depends on what your diet looks like first..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

"wyrd bið ful aræd" Destiny is Everything
Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby ryodan » Mon May 14, 2007 9:41 pm

well i dont really have numbers for you so Id like to just give you some base information.

For instance Yesterday I ate -

breakfast - noahs bagels (blueberry with cream cheese), protein shake

lunch - samwich (turkey and avacado), Sobe drink

Dinner - 5 eggs (scrambled), toast

(workout)
protein shake.

I weigh 170 lbs now, and I am 6 feet 3 inches and 1/2. I am going for increased strength, and muscle mass, as well as endurance and balance. I take daily vitamins (including vit C, B-6, calcium/zinc, and omega 3 fish oil)

one smart cookie - what do I need to take?
ryodan
Helot
Helot

Postby Luc13n » Mon May 14, 2007 11:22 pm

How do creatine suppliments affect the liver? Do they raise enzyme levels? I read a bit in the Wiki article and was wondering. If you have elevated liver enzymes should you suppliment?
Luc13n
Helot
Helot

Postby Cookie » Tue May 15, 2007 8:40 am

ryodan wrote:well i dont really have numbers for you so Id like to just give you some base information.

For instance Yesterday I ate -

breakfast - noahs bagels (blueberry with cream cheese), protein shake

lunch - samwich (turkey and avacado), Sobe drink

Dinner - 5 eggs (scrambled), toast

(workout)
protein shake.

I weigh 170 lbs now, and I am 6 feet 3 inches and 1/2. I am going for increased strength, and muscle mass, as well as endurance and balance. I take daily vitamins (including vit C, B-6, calcium/zinc, and omega 3 fish oil)

one smart cookie - what do I need to take?

You could do with some more protein sources in there...red meats, chicken, turkey, oily fish..tuna etc..

More salads and vegetables

Nuts, seeds

Fruit & dried fruits

Good fats...butter, olive oil, fish oils..

And I think 4 meals aday for somebody your size is not going to give you enough overall daily calories..
"If you don't have conditioning it doesn't matter how big your muscles are they ain't gonna reach their full potential!"

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Postby Cookie » Tue May 15, 2007 8:41 am

Luc13n wrote:How do creatine suppliments affect the liver? Do they raise enzyme levels? I read a bit in the Wiki article and was wondering. If you have elevated liver enzymes should you suppliment?

Not 100% sure of this, might be worth bumping for our resident scientist Tak to give you some info..

I do know it can be hard on the kidneys if overused and not enough fluid taken in..

21st century Takism

Cookie
Leonidas
Leonidas

Return to Nutrition